New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is seeking to close public schools in his city for two Muslim holidays and the Lunar New Year. Or at least, he wants to make them officially observed holidays.
“The goal is to get there,” the mayor said on WNYC’s Brian Lehrer Show on Monday. “It is complicated in terms of logistics and school calendar and budget. But it’s something I want to get done in a reasonable time frame.”
The Muslim holy days De Blasio was referencing are Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha.
According to the New York Daily News, various groups in the city have long campaigned to have the Muslim holy days, the Lunar New Year, and Diwali recognized as holidays, but former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg believed kids shouldn’t miss any more school.
A spokesman for the Indian community was dismayed that de Blasio did not confirm that he wants to include Diwali in the latest push.
“We are disappointed. We’ve been trying for a long time … It’s very important for the community,” Dr. Shashi Shah of the Association of Indians in America told the New York Daily News.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Why Didn’t NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio Want the Press at His Meeting With a Large Pro-Israel Group?
- Do You Know About the ‘Revolutionary’ Past of New York City’s Mayoral Frontrunner?
- How Obamacare Has Changed One Family’s Situation to ‘It’s Either Eat or Buy Health Insurance’
- Female Egyptian TV Host Removes Headscarf, Berates Cleric Who ‘Peddles’ Islam in Explosive Interview
- Glenn Beck Releases Graphic Video Juxtaposing Media, Obama Administration’s Optimism on Egypt with Horrifying Reality
From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.