Story by the Associated Press; curated by Dave Urbanski

CARLE PLACE, N.Y. (AP) — A Dunkin’ Donuts customer looking for a morning cup of coffee was in the right place at the right time — and was carrying the right equipment.

Scene of the harrowing escape. (Image source: News12 Long Island)

Scene of the harrowing escape. (Image source: News12 Long Island)

Authorities say when an ambulance technician entered the store in Carle Place, New York, around 4 a.m. Friday, the carbon monoxide detector he was wearing suddenly sounded off, indicating high levels of the poisonous gas.

The technician hustled the employees out of the fast-food joint and notified authorities. An investigation found a vent in one of the ovens was the problem.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, and prolonged exposure can be fatal.

From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.