Gabriel Moore said that when his school recess aide was handing out treats last week, he didn’t take just one — he scarfed down three.
Then the fourth-grader got the unappetizing news: They were treats for pets.
“She made it look like it was a joke that they were dog treats and then she came around and said, ‘No they are cookies. They are fine,'” Moore told WFMZ-TV in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
But it turns out the part-time aide did in fact give pet treats to 75 fourth-graders at New Hanover-Upper Frederick Elementary School, according to a notice the superintendent of Boyertown Area School District sent to parents. The notice added that the ingredients in the treats aren’t harmful to humans unless they have food allergies.
“It is hard to imagine that someone would do that,” Bonnie Reigner of Boyertown told WFMZ.
Moore’s father isn’t happy. “They trusted the aides, you know what I mean,” David Moore told the station. “Like what if it was rat poisoning or something. So it was kind of shocking to be honest with you.”
[sharequote align=”center”]”You should be penalized pretty bad for that.”[/sharequote]
Others don’t see it that way, however. “We are ready to reprimand everybody and anybody for anything,” Kitty Isett of Bechtelsville told WFMZ
“In my opinion, you put the lives of children at risk so you should be penalized pretty bad for that,” Moore’s father added.
Gabriel was clear on the issue: “I do not want to take anymore food from an aide,” he told the station.
The school contacted police and placed the aide on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.