LAS VEGAS (TheBlaze/AP) — The adult son of Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher who hosted armed protesters against federal agents in a cattle roundup dispute in April, acknowledged Monday that he faces arrest in a separate criminal case stemming from his felony conviction on burglary and weapon charges.

Cliven Lance Bundy, 34, said during a telephone interview with the Associated Press that he knows he’s named in a contempt-of-court warrant issued July 8 in Las Vegas for failing to appear before a Clark County District Court judge who oversees a drug diversion program.

“I’m trying to get ahold of my counselor to see what I’m supposed to do,” said Lance Bundy, who is not currently represented by a lawyer.

Nevada Rancher Cliven Bundys Son Faces Arrest in Separate Case

File – In this April 12, 2014 file photo, rancher Cliven Bundy, center, addresses his supporters along side Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie, right, while being guarded by self-described militia members in the foreground. (AP Photo/Las Vegas Review-Journal, Jason Bean, File)

Bundy said he underwent outpatient surgery the day the warrant was issued and has been recuperating at his parents’ home in Bunkerville, about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

The court record shows Bundy missed several previous hearings, and that officials said they were unable to reach him to notify him of court dates.

While details of the terms he purportedly violated were not available, court spokeswoman Mary Ann Price told Reuters that he was required to complete a program that included counseling and drug testing. 

Bundy could face two to eight years in state prison if he is found in violation of terms of the five years’ probation imposed after he pleaded guilty in February 2013 to felony burglary and weapon theft charges.

Bundy attributed his conviction to an addiction to opiate pain killers, and said he has been getting counseling.

His parents, Cliven and Carol Bundy, said they thought their son obtained medical releases from the court-ordered drug program. His father also told Reuters that his son was en route to Las Vegas to turn himself into authorities Monday, though it is currently unclear if he’s in custody.

“I told him he’s got to go to Las Vegas and take care of it,” Bundy said of his son’s warrant.

Rancher Cliven Bundy speaks at a news conference near Bunkerville, Nev., Thursday, April 24, 2014. Bundy, a Nevada rancher who became a conservative folk hero for standing up to the government in a fight over grazing rights, lost some of his staunch defenders Thursday after wondering aloud whether blacks might have had it better under slavery. (AP Photo/Las Vegas Review-Journal, John Locher) AP Photo/Las Vegas Review-Journal, John Locher

Rancher Cliven Bundy speaks at a news conference near Bunkerville, Nev., Thursday, April 24, 2014. (AP Photo/Las Vegas Review-Journal, John Locher)

News of the contempt-of-court warrant comes after officials with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management officials publicly agreed earlier this month with a Nevada sheriff’s position that the rancher needs to be held accountable for the April standoff between his supporters and the agency, as TheBlaze previously reported.

The agency continues to investigate the incident after Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie previously said that Bundy was wrong to allow supporters to aim guns at authorities while on his property.

TheBlaze also reported last month that Cliven Bundy owes the Bureau of Land Management more than $1 million in late grazing fees — almost five times as much as every other rancher combined. 

Other Must-Read Stories