Where socks go missing is a mystery for many households, but an Oregon family was able to find where 43 of its socks ended up thanks to an X-ray.

According to the Oregonian, a Portland family’s Great Dane was vomiting and wouldn’t eat any food. The family brought their 3-year-old pet to the vet where Dr. Ashley Magee took X-rays and saw “a lot of foreign material in his stomach.”

This Feb. 2014 photo provided by DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital, shows an X-ray of a dog that consumed a number of socks in Portland, Ore. A 3-year-old Great Dane was miserable, retching and vomiting, when his owners rushed him to DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital.  X-rays showed a stomach full of what was described as "a large quantity of foreign material." Nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee said the dog had consumed 43 ½ socks.  DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch says it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. (AP/DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital)

This Feb. 2014 photo provided by DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital, shows an X-ray of a dog that consumed a number of socks in Portland, Ore. A 3-year-old Great Dane was miserable, retching and vomiting, when his owners rushed him to DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital. X-rays showed a stomach full of what was described as “a large quantity of foreign material.” Nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee said the dog had consumed 43 ½ socks. (AP/DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital)

Not knowing what it was and assuming it couldn’t be digested, the material was surgically removed and revealed 43 1/2 socks.

“We opened up his stomach and kept removing sock after sock of all different shapes and sizes,” Magee with the Dove Lewis Animal Hospital told KGW-TV.

DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch says it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. (AP/DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital)

DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch says it’s perhaps the strangest case in the hospital’s history. (AP/DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital)

Magee told the news station she has seen the dog since the surgery and he has been doing well.

“He did have a history of preference for socks,” she said.

Each year Veterinary Practice News conducts an X-ray contest, and Magee knew just what to submit this year. The sock-eating Great Dane’s X-rays won second place in the “They Ate WHAT?” contest.

First place went to an animal hospital in Plano, Texas, for its X-ray of a frog that ate about 30 rocks that were in its cage.

From the breaking news you need to know to the hottest trends circling the Web, TheBlaze has it all. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Periscope.