German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced Thursday that the country will implement stricter regulations for asylum seekers.
The announcement follows international outrage over mass sexual assaults in the country.
According to CNN, Johannes Dimroth, a spokesman for Germany’s Interior Ministry, said that the initiative, Asylum Package II, “contains important regulations, [including] to speed up the asylum procedure and to reduce existing deportation challenges.”
“The agreement on the [law] is therefore welcomed, without reservation,” Dimroth added.
Under the terms of Asylum Package II, some migrants will be sent to Greece by ferry, and other European Union nations will take in 250,000 asylum seekers.
The initiative also includes a two-year ban on asylum seekers from bringing their families to join them in Germany, but “safe countries” will be exempt.
According to CNN, Merkel said that Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria will be designated as “safe countries.”
Merkel said her Cabinet will soon have the draft of the legislation.
TheBlaze previously reported that on New Year’s Eve, Cologne, Germany police said that over a thousand men “of Arab or North African appearance” committed a series of crimes, including sexual assaults, robberies and at least one rape. Reports about the incident indicate that at least eight of the suspects who have been identified in the attacks were in Germany as asylum seekers.