Crime

‘A Free Man’: Bin Laden’s Former Cook Leaves Guantanamo After 14-Year Sentence Reduced

Osama Bin Ladens Former Cook and Driver Leaves Guantanamo Bay for Sudan After 14 Year Sentence Reduced

(Photo: Getty Images)

Osama bin Laden’s former cook and driver has been released from Guantanamo Bay to his native Sudan, according to reports, as part of a plea deal he agreed to with military prosecutors.

(Related: Report: Secret U.S. Program Releases Dangerous Insurgents In Return for ‘Pledges of Peace’)

Though he pleaded guilty in July 2010 to supporting terrorism by providing logistical support to al-Qaida and was sentenced to 14 years, the Pentagon legal officer overseeing Guantanamo tribunals suspended all but two of the years, according to the Associated Press.

However, the suspension was contingent on a number of conditions, including that the man not engage in “hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners.”

Osama Bin Ladens Former Cook and Driver Leaves Guantanamo Bay for Sudan After 14 Year Sentence Reduced

Ibrahim al-Qosi speaks during a press conference in Khartoum on July 11, 2012 after his release from Guantanamo Bay. (Photo: Getty Images)

The New York Times has more information:

It is the first time a detainee convicted under the Obama administration’s version of the military commissions system has been sent back to his native country.

[...]

Mr. Qosi, who is about 52 years old, was captured by the Pakistani military fleeing Afghanistan in December 2001, and was among the first detainees brought to Guantánamo in 2002 when the Bush administration opened the prison at the American naval base in Cuba. On July 7, 2010, he pleaded guilty before the military commission system to conspiracy and supporting terrorism.

In a confession that accompanied the guilty plea, he said that he had followed the Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden, to Afghanistan in 1996 after his expulsion from Sudan, and that he performed a variety of menial tasks at his compound, including running its kitchen and sometimes serving as a driver for Bin Laden and others.

A spokesman for Sudan’s foreign ministry told the AFP news agency that there had been “some sort of communication between American authorities and Sudanese authorities” ahead of his flight, and when he arrived in Khartoum he told a local radio station that he had suffered “unfair detention in the infamous Guantánamo prison.”

“He is a free man,” Mr Meruh said of the 52-year-old Osama bin Laden devotee.

Paul Reichler, a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer who represented al Qosi pro bono, said: “I believe he is a decent and honorable person whose only desire is to go home to his family, live in peace and tranquility and engage in productive labor in his family business, and he has no desire to be associated with violent movements of any kind.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

(H/T: Jihad Watch)

Comments (31)

  • OniKaze
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 12:51pm

    I bet his lawyer who was on his side saying he “just wanted to go home” was a Holder appointed attorney…

    Also, I bet he conveniently left out the 2nd part of that statement where I am sure he said “I just want to go home, and prep more terrorist activities for me and my children to slaughter innocent and un-involved Americans……”

    Report Post » OniKaze  
  • jonathanfarrar
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 10:25am

    I wonder, if in Obama’s Empire, we will get the same kind of forgiveness when we say “Yes Supreme one, I promise to never revere personal liberty and responsibility and will never think bad things about your infinite wisdom and I certainly won’t engage in any kind of seditious activity to try and return this country to what the Founders wanted for us” wink wink cough cough…….

    Report Post » jonathanfarrar  
  • nueces
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 10:11am

    If we were smart we would surgically implant a tracking device in these ***** puke’s heart that could not be removed without open heart surgery. These devices can be remotely turned off to avoid detection and turned on at will. Even IF the islamists discovered the device they would most likely kill the carrier trying to get it out. We could track these monsters to their lair.

    Report Post »  
  • Gonzo
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 9:12am

    “the suspension was contingent on a number of conditions, including that the man not engage in “hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners.”
    Oh well as long as we have his word on it, everything should be fine.

    Report Post » Gonzo  
    • rose-ellen
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 9:51am

      They had no busiess imprisoning him to begin with. “We’re a nation of laws,innocent till proven guilty”blah ,blah blah -except if we really hate you.[5 minutes after we got some long in coming blowback-we showed our true colors ].

      Report Post »  
    • nueces
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 10:12am

      Rose-Ellen,

      Rose-Ellen-Hussein, right?

      Report Post »  
    • Gonzo
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 10:56am

      Watch it Rose, I hear a drone.

      Report Post » Gonzo  
    • Walkabout
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 11:40am

      rose-ellen

      What would happen to a support personnel in the U.S. military who was captured & who to care of the vehicle pool etc?

      Thought so.

      I knew I would find a comment lame as yours.

      Report Post »  
    • Walkabout
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 11:45am

      Rose-Ellen

      What would happen to an Army ‘cargo specialist’, if he was captured by Al Qaeda.

      Who did your precious Ibrahim al-Qosi drive about. Future suicide bombers? Your precious KSM planner of 911?

      Report Post »  
    • Walkabout
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 11:50am

      Rose Ellen

      Is Ibrahim al-Qosi, who drives Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM) to a 911 planning meeting with Usama, as much of a combatant as an Army Cargo specialist drives/transports a infantryman to Afghanistan?

      Put on your thinking cap? It is a poser for the likes of you.

      Report Post »  
  • historyguy48
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 6:52am

    Comrades has Dear Leader invited him to the White House yet? Perhaps he can give this poor, retired, terrorist a job as his personal chef! Dear Leader has nothing to fear, just the sight of Dear Leader in his SEAL Team 6 battle rattle will scare him to death.
    Well, maybe not scare him, but he will laugh himself to death!

    Report Post » historyguy48  
    • RedDirtTexas
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 11:24am

      I hear this guy can whip up a mean open flame, sand seasoned, dog-on-stick!

      Report Post » RedDirtTexas  
  • Kelly Henderson
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 6:43am

    Holder and obama at it again. Wait till they let em all out of the prisons around the United States.

    Report Post »  
  • Cashpipe
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 5:33am

    If Obama had a chef…

    Report Post »  
  • sweetieboat
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 4:11am

    Who was responsible for letting him go? The conditions for him to meet are useless and everyone knows it. Another lie our government tells us; we don’t believe it but they can lie without paying any consequences;
    Makes me sick.

    Report Post »  
    • Aaryq
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 5:32am

      I say let him go. Then once he gets home, have our CIA spooks watch him, wait until he starts to associate with more terrorists and then let one of our predator drones send them a little care package.

      Report Post »  
    • Kelly Henderson
      Posted on July 12, 2012 at 6:47am

      Wait till holder and obama let loose all the brothers that are locked up in American Prisons. How long does holder get away with what he is doing?

      Report Post »  
  • OhSnappage
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 1:27am

    Guantanamo Prison is a freaking luxury resort compared to the straw huts, cave holes, poor hygene, limited food and water, and dirt floors. We should kick them all out of there and drop those degenerates in the arctic, isolated from society, and make them earn there keep.

    Report Post » OhSnappage  
  • lylejk
    Posted on July 12, 2012 at 12:52am

    The guy provided aide to our most diabolical enemy (not to mention knew both OBL’s habits and more then likely his whereabouts but kept that to himself) and we just let the guy go? Should have hanged the guy. More reasons to give BO the boot come November. :)

    Report Post » lylejk  
  • nocomment
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 11:51pm

    FIRST QUESTION WHEN HE GETS HOME:

    Was there penetration?

    Report Post »  
  • Detroit paperboy
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 11:30pm

    The new white house chef…..

    Report Post »  
  • ruffy
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 11:14pm

    The regime won’t grant reprieve to Jonathan Pollard, but this piece of crap gets a ticket home.

    Report Post »  
  • chips1
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 11:07pm

    Sounds like Obama just appointed our next Ambassador to Sudan. The pieces just fit together like a puzzle.

    Report Post »  
  • lukerw
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 11:05pm

    Hoist… the Black Flag with Skull & Cross Bones!

    Report Post » lukerw  
  • RJJinGadsden
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:57pm

    Just how long can we expect this ‘Pledge Of Peace’ to last. Hours or maybe days?

    Report Post » RJJinGadsden  
  • dealer@678
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:51pm

    Released just in time for the elections.

    Report Post »  
  • Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:42pm

    Now there is a restaurant impossible I would like to see:

    Robert Irvine: Look here abdullah, you have the explosives right next to the produce, that is cross contamination. And you have the handgun bullets mixed in with the rifle bullets. How could you run a kitchen like this!!!!!

    Report Post » Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra  
  • dmerwin
    Posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:37pm

    We need to ramp up in Darfur now I guess.

    Report Post » dmerwin  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In