‘Afraid’: NKorea Fails on its Retaliatory Promises After SKorea Drills
- Posted on December 20, 2010 at 7:48am by
Jonathon M. Seidl
- Print »
- Email »
YEONPYEONG ISLAND, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s military staged live-fire drills from an island just miles (kilometers) from rival North Korea’s shores Monday, despite Pyongyang’s threats of catastrophic retaliation for the maneuvers.
Seoul launched fighter jets, evacuated hundreds of people away from its tense land border with the North and sent residents of front-line islands into underground bunkers in case of attack, but the North finally said it would hold its own fire.
The 90-minute exercise came nearly a month after the North responded to earlier maneuvers by shelling Yeonpyeong Island, killing two marines and two construction workers in its first attack targeting civilian areas since the 1950-53 Korean War. That clash sent tensions soaring between the two countries – which are still technically at war.
In an emergency meeting Sunday, U.N. diplomats meeting in New York failed to find any solution to the crisis, but there was some sign of diplomacy Monday, as a high-profile American governor announced what he said were two nuclear concessions from the North.
North Korea called Monday’s drills a “reckless military provocation” but said after they ended that it was holding its fire because Seoul had changed its firing zones.
The official Korean Central News Agency carried a military statement that suggested that the North viewed Monday‘s drills differently from the ones that provoked it last month because South Korean shells landed farther south of the North’s shores.
The North claims the waters around Yeonpyeong as its territory, and during last month’s artillery exchange, the North accused the South of firing artillery into its waters; the South said it fired shells southward, not toward the North.
The North on Monday, however, kept its rhetoric heated, saying it will use its powerful military to blow up South Korean and U.S. bases.
South Korea‘s Joint Chiefs of Staff said its artillery was fired in the same direction as during last month’s maneuvers: toward waters southwest of the island, not toward the North.
“North Korea appeared to have issued this statement because it was afraid” of a full-blown war with South Korea, a Joint Chiefs of Staff officer said on condition of anonymity, citing department rules.
He noted that North Korea has always resorted to surprise attacks on South Korea rather than launching a straightforward attack.
During the drills on Yeonpyeong, a tiny enclave of fishing communities and military bases about seven miles (11 kilometers) from North Korean shores, South Korean marines fired about 1,500 artillery shells into the island’s water, Yonhap news agency reported, citing unidentified military sources.
About 20 U.S. intelligence and communications personnel took part in the drills, and nine representatives from the American-led U.N. Command observed the maneuvers, another Joint Chiefs of Staff officer said, on condition of anonymity.
The U.S. troops were to stay on the island to monitor North Korea’s moves, he said.
Before the drills Monday, South Korea’s military said that it would “immediately and sternly” deal with any provocation by the North. Fighter jets flew over South Korean airspace on a mission to deter North Korean attacks, a Defense Ministry official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department rules.
Hundreds of South Koreans living near the tense land border with North Korea were either evacuated to bomb shelters or taken to areas farther south ahead of the drills, local officials said.
Residents, local officials and journalists on Yeonpyeong and four other islands moved to underground shelters, Ongjin County government spokesman Won Ji-young said.
On Yeonpyeong, residents in an underground shelter huddled on the floor as a South Korean soldier showed them how to use a gas mask, according to footage shot by Associated Press Television News.
“I feel the same as last Nov. 23, when North Korea fired artillery at us,” said Oh Gui-nam, a 70-year-old island resident. “My emotions are all tangled up.”
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak ordered preparations to cope with any possible attack by North Korea, even after the drills were over.
The U.N. Security Council, meanwhile, failed Sunday to agree on a statement to address rising tensions.
The United States and others had wanted the council to condemn North Korea for attacks that have helped send relations between the Koreas to their lowest point in decades. But diplomats said China, the North’s major ally, strongly objected.
Several bloody naval skirmishes have occurred along the disputed western sea border between the two Koreas in recent years. The North does not recognize the U.N.-drawn sea border in the area.
In a diplomatic push, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a frequent unofficial envoy to North Korea and former U.S. ambassador to the U.N., held meetings with top leaders in the foreign ministry and military during a four-day visit to Pyongyang. He called for maximum restraint.
Richardson said the North agreed to let U.N. inspectors visit the North‘s main nuclear complex to make sure it’s not producing enriched uranium for a nuclear bomb, The New York Times, which accompanied Richardson to Pyongyang, reported.
The North expelled U.N. inspectors last year and recently showed a visiting American scientist a new, highly advanced uranium enrichment facility that could give it a second way to make atomic bombs, in addition to its plutonium programs. Richardson also said Pyongyang was willing to sell South Korea 12,000 plutonium fuel rods, the Times said.
Richardson had been set to brief reporters Monday night in Beijing, but his flight was delayed. He told Associated Press Television News at the Pyongyang airport, “We had positive results.”
—
Kim reported from Seoul.




















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Col. HawK
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:35pmThe DPRK had nothing to worry about anyway, they were only in fear, because they are kept in the dark. South Korea was only practicing, because of the DPRK’s bullying antics. Every country has the right to practice defending themselves, this was know to the entire world, even including myself. The DPRK, should now know that the next time they try bullying, they might get something they were not expecting, and just might end up with a black eye. The day‘s of country’s bullying each other are coming to and end soon. Have we not grown up and left the school yard yet? If so, then the bully, better not follow behind, rather, repent from their old ways.
Report Post »jmparrish
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 7:52amcol hawk
Report Post »we need to arm s. korea with a few good nukes…secretly…then have them do their own tests and alert the world they are a nuke power…then they can set forth their own MAD defense…china will never mess with them again…same with japan, and possibly even taiwan…fly some nukes in on stealth bombers…then we can save alot of money get our guys out of that part of the world and watch the fireworks show…what do u think?
flyer7777
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:26pmThe bottom line to all this is North Korea was paid off today to not react; and yes we the taxpayers are giving in to this piss ant of a country. How much we are paying is yet to be discovered; This Obomanation has got to stop here and now.
Report Post »ensemble
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 7:01pmThis is another example of saber rattling. NKorea just wants more bribe money and more attention and more carrots because they know no one with real power has the strength to stand up to them in any decisive manner. This is what all thugish oppressive tyrants do. They threaten until they get deals and bribes and then come back and do it again for more deals and bribes.
Report Post »welovetheUSA
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 6:09pmThe North Korea government does this everytime they need…a deal. More fuel…more food…how mush in tax payer dollars are spent?
Report Post »rbagala
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 4:39pmI doubt if fear was the reason that North Korea did not retaliate to South Korea’s military drills. The answer has and always will lie with China.
China created the nuclear program in North Korea. In the Security Council China used her veto against excessive embargoes or even the act to taking out North Korea’s nuclear facilities. and I believe it was the powers in Beijing that has put sufficient pressure on Pyong Yang not to retaliate.
Report Post »Poverty stricken North Korea has been and continues to be China’s puppet, an aspect that is becoming quite clear to the world at large.
If any war were to break out China will be the first to feel the international “sting” of being “outed” for her clandestine actions in making North Korea a belligerent, irresponsible, nuclear power. China’s brazen actions are beginning to back fire and even Beijing may not have the clout in the future to reign in her puppet regime of North Korea.
kenphut
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 3:57pmS. Korea and its Allies need to speak plainly to N. Korea. “Step out of line one more time, little man and we will put a crater where Pyongyang used to be”. The north understands only force and only behaves when forced to. It is an imprudent child having a tantrum. Spank it and it behaves. Try to reason with it and you get nothing but more of the same because it has only benefited from its bad behavior.
Report Post »rfycom
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 3:56pmYou didn’t really expect anything from Jr did you?
Report Post »vennoye
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 12:15pmYou just can’t cave in to bullies forever! They only get worse if you do…..North Korea is going to do whatever it is going to do regardless of whether South Korea caves in or not. MAYBE, just maybe it will make them think twice about further ship sinkings and attacks on civilians if the South does not cave under their pressure.
Report Post »youguysready_letsroll
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 11:08amOur country would be better off to be primarily defensive instead of getting involved in these half-assed conflicts that have minimal impact on our 50 states. We’re spread too thin and are broke.
Report Post »lwilli201
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 10:55amI congratulate South Korea for not stopping the drills even with pressure from China and Russia. They had to stand up to the North and show they will not be bullied. The North folded like a house of cards and came up with some lame excuses for not retaliating.
Report Post »Sgt.Crust
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:26amthe north korean gov’t always blusters at these things, sometimes they act other times they don’t, they are a bi-polar nation, and one never knows what to expect from them. they do this to get concessions from us, food, oil, money and the like. if war were to break out on the korean peninsula, it would spark wwIII, and i hope and pray it never happens. one can only hope the real people of n. korea will one day cast off these thugs who rule them with an iron fist and become a part of the world community, same goes for Iran.
Report Post »guyperram
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:11amMaybe they should (S, Korea) have “misdirected” a few thousand shells towards the N koreans to thank them for their attacks.
Report Post »1911a1
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:00amsounds like Kim and Jr, both need a tamahawk in the window!
Report Post »Conservativeman
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:00amNorth Korea is a dying regime. They can’t afford parts for their military equipment. Their combined arms training is minimal or non existent. Their generals have been defecting to China in droves.
South Korea is a modern, well maintained and well equiped military. It’s combined arms training is very effective. They have a very experienced general staff and senior leaders. Their soldiers are motivated and disciplined.
South Korea would go through North Korea like crap through a goose.
Report Post »sWampy
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:41amUntil China, that the US through Clinton/Bush/Obama have pumped up, bent over backwards to make as rich and as powerful as possible, steps in to aid/take over North Korea. ;-( The sins of the progressives always come back to screw us.
Report Post »jmparrish
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 7:43amConservativeman:
Report Post »I suppose u dont think N. Korea’s estimated dozen or so nuclear warheads are any threat?…I dont know if their missiles are capible of delivering a nuke but i can only assume the worst…our troops there could all be whiped out in a couple flashes…i have even seen some projections that their long range missles could actually hit the US…other projections saying they cant…lets hope they dont have any gifts from the chinese like boomer subs…that would sure throw a wrench in all of our live’s plans.
jmparrish
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 7:45amOr any gifts of ICBMs for that matter…because it would be in China’s best interest to get N. korea to hit us with a nuke…n. korea would take the blame so to speak.
And China would be rid of a pest…U.S
Report Post »GeauxAlready
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 8:56amThe South needs to strike first and wipe Pyongyang and lil’ Kim off the map……………..
Report Post »wash1776
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 8:48amThe big mouthed dictator running that country is off his rocker and no one can know for sure what he will do. He could react in an instant if he gets riled up enough. This kind of person is unstable with mental problems. All he can seem to do is threaten and saber rattle. But, that doesn’t mean he might not go over the edge some day. North Korea’s eventual goal is to take over South Korea and make it part of North Korea. That will continue to make him a real threat.
Report Post »Hondaman
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 8:04amThere shall be wars and rumors of wars.
Report Post »Alydia
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 5:24pmAmen Hondaman! It is happening before our eyes…
Report Post »retsofarik
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 8:00amNorth Korea keeps making these threats & eventually someone is going to act on them !
Report Post »untameable-kate
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 9:12amThe regime in the north are as crazy as s-house rats. I would recomend to the south to stop poking the bear. The last thing we need is another war.
Report Post »I clearly don’t know alot about the waters between the north and south can someone tell me, is there any direction the south can practice fire their weapons that won’t cause the crazies in the north to react?
Diamondback
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 10:46am@ UnTame…
They can’t let the Bear keep poking them either without showing resistance.
Report Post »untameable-kate
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 11:12amDiamond back, I agree. I wish they would just leave each other alone.
Report Post »KICKILLEGALSOUT
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 7:57amI wouldn‘t be so quick to say they are afraid and they won’t strike back just because they haven’t right away. The North Koreans are crazy and when you have a crazy dying man that makes his citizens worship him in charge you never know what is going to happen.
Report Post »Their threats to strike back should be taken very serious!
snowleopard3200 {mix art}
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 11:10amSomething will be a trigger event to set off a war; limited or not, the tinder is set and drier than a bone while sparks dance all about for it be set.
One thing to watch for though, at least as I see it possibley happening, is if a Korean War begins again, China may just decide the timing is perfect to ‘reunite’ Taiwan with the mainland, and go for the whole pot in one shot. Us being involved in a Korean shooting war will keep us from helping Taiwan to any large degree; of course though, I would honestly expect Mr Obama would just abandon South Korea AND Taiwan to their fates.
That indeed would be just like him. And he would also commense a apology tour for the evils of the USA that led to the conflicts in the first place.
http://www.artinphoenix.com/gallery/grimm
Report Post »jmparrish
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 7:31amObama can abandon N. Korea and Taiwan to their fates….simply give them some nukes and have them tell china that should they be overrun…good bye china and ofcourse n. korea.
Japan needs to rearm…we americans need to stay out of asian conflicts because with the world the way it is now…we cant afford to defend all the fools that can defend them selves against a potentially violent china/n.korea/Russia via a mad system…The Chinese are not crazy (i hope) like the muzlims and dont look forward to their own destruction.
so in essence we can use China’s own strategy against it….that being to arm our enemies with nuclear technology (n. korea. and via n. korea: Pakistan, via Pakistan every muslim country that wants one)
Report Post »