After Increase Last Week, Unemployment Claims Fall
- Posted on April 21, 2011 at 12:03pm by
Jonathon M. Seidl
- Print »
- Email »
WASHINGTON (AP) — Fewer people applied for unemployment benefits last week, partly reversing a sharp jump in applications the previous week.
The Labor Department said Thursday that the number of people applying for unemployment benefits dropped 13,000 to a seasonally adjusted 403,000 in the week ending April 16. The decline comes after applications rose 31,000 a week earlier.
Applications near 375,000 are consistent with sustainable job growth. Applications peaked during the recession at 659,000.
The four-week average, a less volatile measure, rose for the second straight week to 399,000. That’s about 10,000 higher than it was a month ago.
Economists said that the previous week’s jump in applications was influenced to some degree by a seasonal quirk that is difficult to adjust for at the start of each quarter. Many workers delay filing their applications until the new quarter begins, if that means they will receive a higher level of benefits.
“Normally, most of any upward effect from this factor is reversed within a couple of weeks,” said Joshua Shapiro, chief U.S. economist at MFR, Inc.
The rise could also be partly due to disruptions in the U.S. auto industry stemming from the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, some economists said. Several states reported layoffs had risen in the auto and manufacturing industries. Toyota Motor Co., Nissan and Ford Motor Co., have said in recent weeks that they are slowing production this month because they can’t obtain enough auto parts, many of which are imported from Japan.
The report covers the same week that the Labor Department conducts its survey of employer payrolls. That survey is used to calculate whether the economy is adding jobs each month, and how many.
Many economists are expecting April’s employment report to be similar to the past two months, even with the previous week’s increase in unemployment benefit applications. Businesses added more than 200,000 jobs for the second straight month in March, the biggest two-month hiring spree in five years. The unemployment rate fell to a two-year low, at 8.8 percent.
“The broad similarity between March and April developments should point to a roughly similar payroll-employment outcome – on the critical presumption that new hiring occurs at roughly the same pace,” Pierre Ellis, an economist at Decision Economics, wrote in a note to clients. “Optimism on that front has often been disappointed – but the March numbers did hint at a clear turn for the better.”
The four-week average has fallen about 7 percent since late January, but applications have plateaued in recent weeks. Most economists expect applications to continue declining as the economy improves.
The total number of people receiving unemployment benefits ticked down to 3.7 million. But that doesn’t include millions of the unemployed who are getting benefits under emergency programs enacted by Congress during the recession. Including those programs, 8.3 million people received unemployment benefits during the week ending April 2, the latest data available. That’s a drop of more than 200,000 from the previous week.




















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Barb1954
Posted on April 22, 2011 at 7:39amI think it’s interesting that they are not talking about all those that are STILL UnEmployed that STOPPED receiving benefits because…………..wait for it…………those EXTENDED BENEFITS ran out. Now why did they run out? Well there are several states, NC included, where the UnEmployment dropped below a certain level which meant the States were no longer ELIGIBLE for those FEDERAL EXTENDED Benefits. Those people just drop off the rolls and are NOT counted!
If your Retirement Savings were WIPED OUT in the Market Crash….good luck! Look, I don’t agree with the Extended Benefits. If you have EVER drawn UnEmployment you KNOW that the weekly amount is nowhere NEAR what you made when you were working. How ANYONE can make statements that people will take advantage of something as pitiful as that is beyond me! They obviously have NEVER had to file for UnEmployment OR tried to live off of it!
My entire Accounting office was OUTSOURCED to INDIA of all places! I made good money while I was working and I can say without hesitation that I WAITED at least 4 months before I finally decided I had to go on UnEmployment. I did not make that decision lightly but it finally came down to …… I have PAID INTO both the State AND Federal UnEmployment coffers for over 30 years! I pray the job market will improve for my career area………but I don’t have much HOPE right now! I fear my UnEmployment will run out soon and I have NO IDEA what our family will do for an income after that.
It’s a good thing we started listening to Glenn Beck 2 years ago because he warned us all. We began preparing back then and right now we have at least 2 yrs worth of food stored. If we loose our home…..we are prepared for that scenario as well. Folks in this country need to WAKE UP to reality because it may hit your household soon as well!
Americans are STRONG and RUGGED individualists. WE will overcome this!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AGAIN!
Report Post »Living In NYC
Posted on April 22, 2011 at 5:48amYes then wait till next week…what corrections will be made?
Report Post »