British, Italian Hostages Killed by al Qaeda-Linked Boko Haram Operatives in Nigeria
- Posted on March 8, 2012 at 8:10pm by
Tiffany Gabbay
- Print »
- Email »
LONDON (The Blaze/AP) — Two Europeans held hostage in Nigeria by kidnappers claiming ties to al-Qaida were killed before rescuers could free them, authorities said Thursday.
The men – a Briton and an Italian – were killed by their captors. A Nigerian official said the two died in the crossfire during the rescue attempt, Prime Minister David Cameron said.
Chris McManus and Franco Lamolinara were taken captive in May. The pair had been working on a bank construction project in Nigeria, a country that has seen a rise in violence linked to the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.
Britain’s Foreign Office confirmed two men were held by terrorists associated with Boko Haram, and a senior British government official said the kidnappers appeared to be from an al-Qaida-linked cell within Boko Haram, but not within the group’s main faction.
The British prime minister said that after months of not knowing where the men were, U.K. authorities had “received credible information about their location.” Believing the men’s lives were in “imminent and growing danger,” a rescue operation was mounted, Cameron said.
“The terrorists holding the two hostages made very clear threats to take their lives, including in a video that was posted on the Internet,” Cameron said.
U.K. officials had asked journalists not to publicize the video, in which the kidnappers claimed they belonged to al-Qaida and threatened to kill McManus and Lamolinara if their demands were not met.
Late Thursday, the exact circumstances of how and when the men died remained unclear.
Cameron said “the early indications are clear that both men were murdered by their captors, before they could be rescued.” But a senior security official in Nigeria said the two hostages apparently died in the crossfire. He requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to journalists.
The Nigerian security official said the failed rescue attempt took place in Sokoto, a quiet city in Nigeria’s northwest. An AP reporter there said the military surrounded a house and gunfire was heard for much of the afternoon and into Thursday night.
The reporter saw an ambulance ferrying away wounded people, but could not get close enough to see who was inside. Security forces cordoned off the area, blocking journalists from getting within a kilometer (around a half mile) of the site.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan condemned the killing of the hostages. He said in a statement “the perpetrators of the murderous act, who have all been arrested, would be made to face the full wrath of the law.”
It was unclear what – and how many – arrests he was referring to. Nigeria’s secret police spokeswoman Marilyn Ogar declined to comment, and the army and police could not immediately be reached for comment.
A number of foreigners have been kidnapped while working in Nigeria in recent years – including many who worked in the oil industry. But the kidnapping of McManus and Lamolinara in northwest Nigeria was highly unusual for that region of the country, an arid land that approaches the Sahara Desert and Nigeria’s border with neighboring Niger.
Boko Haram, which means “Western education is sacrilege” in the Hausa language of Nigeria’s Muslim north, has been waging an increasingly bloody fight against the nation’s weak central government.
Western diplomats and analysts say Boko Haram has had contacts with two other al-Qaida-influenced terror groups in Africa. However, they say the sect has splintered, with one wing now willing to use extreme violence. The sect also has begun targeting schools and Christians in Nigeria, a multiethnic nation of more than 160 million people.
A senior British government official said Thursday the kidnappers appeared to be from an al-Qaida linked cell within Boko Haram, but not within the main Boko Haram faction. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of his work.
“They appear to have grown in strength,” the official said. “Last year, they had diminished in their capability – largely because of the Nigerian authorities, but they have regrouped and it appears they are getting external help.”
McManus was working for the construction company B.Stabilini when he was kidnapped May 12 by gunmen who stormed his apartment in Birnin-Kebbi. Lamolinara was also abducted. A German colleague managed to escape by scaling a wall, but a Nigerian engineer was shot and wounded.
In a statement, McManus’ family said they were devastated by the news of his death. “We are also aware of the many people who were working to try and have Chris returned to our family, and his girlfriend,” the statement said. “We would like to thank all of them for their efforts.
“We knew Chris was in an extremely dangerous situation. However, we knew that everything that could be done was being done. ”
Italian Premier Mario Monti said Cameron had conveyed the news to him by telephone. Monti said in a statement that Nigerian and British authorities had determined the operation was the “last window of opportunity to save the hostages’ lives.”
The statement said the situation on the ground had accelerated recently, posing an “imminent danger to the lives of the hostages.” The Italians were only informed once the operation was under way, according to the statement.
Monti asked Nigeria’s president to provide him with a “detailed reconstruction” of what went wrong during the operation as soon as possible, a statement from Monti’s office said. The two spoke by telephone Thursday.
The mayor of the tiny northern Italian town of Gattinara, near Turin, where Lamolinara lived with his wife and two teenage children, said he would proclaim a day of mourning.
The town’s mayor, Daniele Baglione, told the ANSA news agency the community was in shock, convinced that Lamolinara would have been rescued successfully. For nearly a year residents adhered fully to the directives of the Foreign Ministry to not utter a word about the kidnapping, he said.
“We were so hopeful,” he told ANSA. “We didn’t expect it. The Foreign Ministry asked us to keep quiet, and the whole town managed to do so and rally around the family.”



















Submitting your tip... please wait!
SilentReader
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 10:19amWhen are the dhimmi governments in the West going to treat this horrific threat of mass-murder by these maurauding Islamists seriously? They are killing us and all these Western governments are doing is delivering us to their chopping block!
Islam is a fascist ideology and just as lethal as Naziism. They have been plundering the world since the advent of Islam 1389 years ago when Mohammed went into Medina and lined up and beheaded all the male Jews there and took their wives and children as their slaves. Islam means submit and the Muslim Brotherhood’s symbol are the two criss-crossed swords! What does that mean? It means that Islam’s plunderers convert by killing you or subjugating you and making you their slaves by forcing you to pay them the jizya for the rest of your lives and being third and fourth class people in your own country of origin. Then when they kill you or subjugate you they seize your property and land! They’re killers and slave owners and they have put their fascist ideology of Islam under the umbrella of a “religion” as a Trojan Horse to cover and justify their continued genocide against the “infidel.” They have killed 270 million non-Muslims since Mohammed went on his mass-murdering rampage! Even when the Islamists are not killing they are paving the way to kill becuase that’s what they are ordered to do by Mohammed in his Book of Jihad.
No one in America is going to kneel down on their bloodied mats of servitude, or be silenced!
Report Post »ThoreauHD
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 9:57amBut muslims are our friends…
Report Post »TH30PH1LUS
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 3:11amBoko Haram, Al Qaeda, Taliban, Abu Sayyaf Group, Al Ittihad Al Islamia, Ansar al-Sunna, Babbar Khalsa, Harakat-ul-Jihad-ul-Islami, Hezbollah, Hizb ut-Tahrir, Jemaah Islamiya, Palestine Liberation Front, Takfir wal-Hijra, Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi, and others of your ilk continue to reveal to the world through your actions that Muhammad was a liar, and that Islam is the most worthless religion to ever foist itself up from hell.
Report Post »mike_trivisonno
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 7:39amAll of these organizations are simply analogs of what non-muslims expect, especially us Westerners. How we love to construct charts, graphs, and tables to describe the links between groups. Islamic culture is only to happy to present the alphabet organizations for our consumption.
It is sad that so many non-muslims have been duped into thinking Islamic Culture is similar to, and, to many, even the equivalent of or superior to, Western Civilization.
It leads to what I call the “Jaynes Effect”. It is incredibly dangerous to imagine the same mental landscape behind the eyes of the muslim that we in the West have been taught to imagine in our minds’ eye when interacting with other people.
Islamic Culture is not the same as Western Civilization and those that ascribe to it similarities with the West do so place themselves at a tremendous disadvantage and even mortal danger.
Islamic Culture is and always will be an enemy of Western people.
Report Post »LeadNotFollow
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 2:33am…
Report Post »I for one, am not buying the “killed in crossfire” story.
They were probably beheaded by their captors, when the rescue was attempted.
Walkabout
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 7:28amA leak could be self serving. I would not, if I were family want my family member to be displayed on TV, but i think the public interest would be served to show the beheaded bodies.
Nick Berg was beheaded. Nick Berg was an anti-American leftist, who went to Iraq to help the people. It is laudable to want to help people. I also think he misjudged the nature of Jihad from the beginning of time, before 2001 & after 2001.
Report Post »OperationNorthwoods
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:41amHey woulda ya know Al-Qaeda is in another oil rich country. Lets invade. Hey wait weren’t we supposed to get a bunch of oil from the last country we invaded Iraq?
Report Post »Gonzo
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 6:39amThe last one we took out was Libya.
Report Post »moveintothelight
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:37amislamic business as usual. killing the helpless captives
Report Post »moveintothelight
Posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:36amislamic business as usual.
Report Post »zoro51
Posted on March 8, 2012 at 11:33pmMURDERING MUSLUMS.. they are in a man made cult of hate n death they will KILL for no reason n praise thier stone idol allah.. u say IM harsh towards muslums really.. when time n time n time n time again proven absilutly correct muslums KILL behead rape beat exterminate entire tribes just because.. now sending operative anywhere to KILL believers of non believers plain truth MULSUMS MURDER because,…. more proof.. of MURDERING MUSLUMS
Report Post »mike_trivisonno
Posted on March 10, 2012 at 7:29amThey are not “murdering muslims” which implies at least some measure of criminality. Muslims will never see the propagation of their faith in the way of their warlord prophet, Mohammed, as anything other than an act of supreme holy obligation to be held up as pious example.
We are not witnessing the acts of a brazen criminal or a disturbed murderer or a “radicalized misunderstander of Islam”.
We are witnessing muslim soldiers killing non-muslims. It’s is not crime. It is war.
Report Post »