Egyptian Military Detains Hundreds in Pre-Election Unrest
- Posted on May 5, 2012 at 8:16pm by
Erica Ritz
- Print »
- Email »
(The Blaze/AP) — Military prosecutors ordered the detention of 300 protesters on accusations of attacking troops and disrupting public order during violent clashes outside Egypt’s Defense Ministry, a prosecution official said Saturday.
The Friday clashes were some of the worst near the headquarters of the country’s ruling generals, and come just three weeks before Egyptians are to head to the polls to vote in a landmark presidential election to see who will head Egypt after the ouster of Hosni Mubarak last year.
As the election approaches on May 23, many Egyptians are worried that the military council that assumed power following Mubarak will not hand over power to a civilian government. The protesters at the ministry were demanding the military council step down.
The Defense Ministry has become a flashpoint for protests this week mostly by supporters of a disqualified Islamist candidate.
After plans were announced for massive rallies Friday, the ruling generals warned demonstrators to stay away from the ministry building. They moved swiftly Saturday to prosecute protesters.
The hundreds of people detained Friday will be held for 15 days pending investigation, the official said. They face charges of attacking military troops, being present in a restricted military area despite warnings and disrupting public order. The detainees are likely to face military trials.
At least 26 women are also being held, the official said speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Hours later, the military general prosecutor Adel el-Morsi ordered in a statement the release of all female detainees; no reason was given. El-Morsi said officials were still interrogating people.
The official said at least two of the detainees are also facing charges of killing one soldier during the clashes.
The military council had warned the demonstrators before the march that deadly force would be used against them if they approached the ministry. One warned protesters they would be approaching the “lion’s den.”
Over 300 people were injured by tear gas, rocks, and live fire. Security officials said 140 soldiers were injured.
An overnight curfew was imposed following the clashes. A military official said a curfew will be in place again Saturday from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. around the ministry.
He was also speaking on condition of anonymity in accordance with military regulations.
Maj. Gen. Mukhtar al-Mullah, a member of the military council, warned late Friday that those involved in or instigating violence would be arrested.
On Saturday, the head of the military council, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi visited the injured troops and inspected the area of the clashes. State TV showed footage of the funeral of the slain soldier.
Lawyer Ragia Omran said the roundup is one of the largest mass arrests following protests during the country’s troubled transition. She said the number of detainees could still rise.
The tension in the area started earlier this week when protesters, predominantly supporters of an ultraconservative presidential candidate who was barred from running in the presidential election, held a sit-in outside the ministry starting last Saturday.
Deadly clashes broke out when apparent supporters of the military rulers attacked the crowd Wednesday.
Nine people were killed in those clashes, drawing in antimilitary protesters from different revolutionary groups who called for the Friday rally demanding the ruling generals stick to their pledges to step down after the elections.
Political groups criticized the swift prosecution of protesters after Friday’s demo, saying no such action was taken after nine civilians were killed in the earlier clashes. The powerful Muslim Brotherhood said it was “atonishing and surprising.”
Anger at the ruling military council has risen across the political spectrum. The generals are accused of steering a messy transition, using oppressive measures and maneuvering to maintain a degree of power even after the presidential election and handover of authority.
These recent protests have been spearheaded by Islamists rather than members of the country’s left- and liberal-leaning movements who drove last year’s uprising that toppled Mubarak.
The Islamists joined in after the disqualification of two heavyweight Islamists, Hazem Abu Ismail and Muslim Brotherhood chief strategist Khairat el-Shater. The Brotherhood has been frustrated that its domination of parliament – where it holds nearly half the seats – has not translated into political power.
The military still has the support of many Egyptians who are critical of the disruptions caused by street protests or who believe the military provides strong government.
The generals renewed this week their pledge to hand over power as soon as a president is elected.






















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Ron Staiger
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 7:34pmHow’s that arab-friggin-spring grabbin’ ya now, Baraaaaaaack?
Report Post »MCDAVE
Posted on May 7, 2012 at 12:21amWell its going exactly as he planned it…No American president.with access to the best advisers in the world could be this incompetent …so we can assume these results are exactly as they wanted.Wait and see terrorist attacks on our city’s, Obama has let them in across our undefended southern borders..When the sh*t hits the fan even the liberals will see his treason against us….By now all of us should know….SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG..
Report Post »Beckofile
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 10:07amGeorge clooney is hosting a obamao fundraiser today. Do not go to his movies!
Report Post »blackyb
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 1:28pmClooney is a traitor or stupid. He is supporting people who are in the process of destroying this country.
Report Post »Look4DBigPicture
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 5:16pmCalifornia is overrun by communists, but I thought Clooney had better sense than to support someone who is transforming our country into a socialist police state. Bye Bye Georgie Boy … you just lost another fan.
Report Post »TWO BITS
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 10:01amSeveral Egyptian generals were meeting with the State Department during the revolt in Tahrir Square. This administration thought that was their ace in the hole for the Arab Spring. Egypt’s antiquities and tourism constitute their economy, so with the country in turmoil caused by radical Islamists, they may have cut their own throats. Better theirs than ours. Have at it.
Report Post »barber2
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 8:03amWhen you see the actions of the groups in the Middle East, you get an idea of WHY they have had dictators. These people seem incapable of handling freedom and living in peace. Israel is the only country which is a successful capitalist, democratic state. Sort of tells you something about so many things ! Also probably why Israel is hated by so many others. ( including our I Hate America Club members )
Report Post »muddpuddle
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 9:28amSix months from now this headline could read, “US military detains hundreds in pre-election unrest”, and your comment would still be fitting, just not posted.
Report Post »johnpaulkuchtajr
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 6:38amWouldn’t the Ayatollah Obama be pissed-off if the military takes Egypt back, lock, stock and barrel?
That probably would mean that the military would re-establish the treaty with Israel and give us something tangible for the aid we just sent them!
Obama would have to start all over again trying to destabilize the Middle East.
Only this time, don’t expect the military to invite the Muslim Brotherhood to any Obama speeches!
Report Post »marybethelizabeth
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 10:05pmThe blueprint has always been for the clandestine services to ferment as much unrest as possible to gain popular support for a right wing dictator to restore order. It has worked time and time again throughout South America and the Middle East .( although it didn’t work in Iran for the last election because our guy was a little too vicious for the Westernized Iranian taste.)
There has not been a turn away from this policy by the current administration.
Report Post »marhee9
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 11:11pmNot only that, this guy told us that the Arab Spring was going to be great. Remember that? How great is this whole thing looking now? There is a great video about the hypocrisy of a President that sums Obama up perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXFGTUNDjE
Report Post »barber2
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 7:57am” to ferment as much unrest as possible.“ Think the ” revolutionaries” are fermenting on their own, thank you. That’s what happens when young people decide they want to have a “ revolution” but they do not have a clue about how to create the New law and order ! Can you just imagine what a great society our Occupier crowd would install ? No ? Neither can I – because they are incapable of anything other than zombie MIC checks, grousing, blaming, and obstructing the public space of those who know how to work and succeed. Oh, and the anarchists who are attracted to “ revolutions” are a great help too: they are like the wrecking crew that destroys your kitchen before the make-over. Only problem with the Occupier / anarchist types : they have no remodel team to handle the new order of things !
Report Post »lukerw
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 9:57pmA War… would put things back in the Military’s hands!
Report Post »scout n ambush
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 9:22pmI wonder if fearless leader has his people studying to see if they can do something similar here to keep the wrong kind of people from getting out to vote ,in jail on election day sorry no vote.
Report Post »lukerw
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 10:52pm“Fearless Leader”… Rocky Perfect :)
Report Post »Snowleopard {gallery of cat folks}
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 9:21pmComing to America if Obama has his say.
Report Post »barber2
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 8:17amYes. With one ” anti rich/ fat cat/ banker / CEO/ people hugging their guns and Bibles ” campaign rally rant at a time !
Report Post »Brasil2520
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 8:57pmTo salve all the problems in Egypt and the Middle East just keep selling them fighter aircraft, then after they all destroy each other then simply keep them dumbed down with weather and sports.
Don’t laugh it works here.
Now sports with Leroy . . . “In the NBA today” . . .
Report Post »Razlord
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 8:25pmUS Air Force Investigator Says Obama Trying To Hide Something: Something Rotten in Washington
http://obamareleaseyourrecords.blogspot.com/2012/05/us-air-force-investigator-says-obama.html
Saturday, May 5, 2012
Report Post »Colonel Lawrence Sellin: Censorship and Disinformation; Obama is an illegal President
http://obamareleaseyourrecords.blogspot.com/2012/05/colonel-lawrence-sellin-censorship-and.html
spirited
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 11:34pmHOLY $h!t
~~~>Anyone who questions this: is either part of it, being paid-off, afraid or nuts.
Thanks RAZLORD.
>Will pass this on
Report Post »Razlord
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 5:49amwelcome and thanks
Report Post »nzkiwi
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 6:24amThat is really scary stuff. Thanks for the post.
Report Post »Look4DBigPicture
Posted on May 6, 2012 at 5:29pmHard to believe this kind of nonsense is actually going on in the 21st century. Instead of evolving into a society of truth and respect, we’ve become a banana republic fun by lies and deception. How sad! Our founding fathers would be so disappointed in us for allowing it to happen.
OMG 2012
Report Post »