Gadhafi’s Son Seif al-Islam Reportedly Captured in Libya
- Posted on November 19, 2011 at 6:33am by
Madeleine Morgenstern
- Print »
- Email »

Seif al-Islam (AP Photo/Nasser Nasser)
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Moammar Gadhafi’s son Seif al-Islam – the only member of the ousted ruling family to remain at large – was captured as he traveled with aides in a convoy in Libya’s southern desert, Libyan officials said Saturday. Thunderous celebratory gunfire shook the Libyan capital as the news spread.
A spokesman for the Libyan fighters who captured him said Seif al-Islam was detained about 30 miles west of the town of Obari with two aides as he was trying to flee to neighboring Niger, but the country‘s acting justice minister later said the convoy’s destination was not confirmed.
The International Criminal Court had charged Gadhafi, Seif al-Islam and Libya’s former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senoussi with crimes against humanity for the brutal crackdown on dissent as the uprising against the regime began in mid-February and escalated into a civil war. Seif al-Islam’s capture leaves only al-Senoussi at large.
Libyan TV posted a photo purportedly of Seif al-Islam in custody. He is sitting by a bed and holding up three bandaged fingers as a guard looks on.
Mohammed al-Alagi, the National Transitional Council’s justice minister, told The Associated Press that Seif al-Islam was detained deep in Libya’s desert Friday night by revolutionary forces from the mountain town of Zintan who had been tracking him for days.
Seif al-Islam was being held in Zintan but would be transported to Tripoli soon, according to al-Alagi.
A spokesman for the Zintan brigades, Bashir al-Tlayeb, who first announced the capture at a press conference in Tripoli, said the NTC, which took over governing the country after Gadhafi was ousted, would decide where Seif al-Islam would be tried.

Moammar Gadhafi's son, Seif al-Islam, top left, with troops loyal to his father in Tripoli, Libya in August. (AP Photo)
He also said that there was still no information about al-Senoussi’s whereabouts.
Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, at 39 the oldest of seven children of Moammar and Safiya Gadhafi, had long drawn Western favor in by touting himself as a liberalizing reformer in the autocratic regime but then staunchly backed his father in his brutal crackdown on rebels in the regime’s final days.
He had gone underground after Tripoli fell to revolutionary forces and issued audio recordings to try to rally support for his father.
The International Criminal Court had earlier said that it was in indirect negotiations with a son of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi about his possible surrender for trial.
Mindful of past arrest claims that proved false, an ICC spokesman said the court was waiting for proof that Seif al-Islam had been captured but stressed Libya has a legal obligation to cooperate with the international arrest warrant.
“First we have to verify if it really is him and that he’s actually been arrested this time,” the spokesman, Fadi El Abdallah, said. “If they decide they want to try the suspect in Libya instead of at the ICC, there’s a necessary process.”
He said the Libyans could formally request that the case be transferred, then ICC judges would make a decision.
“The main criteria is that he generally be prosecuted for the same crimes,” the spokesman said. “For us there’s an obligation, a legal obligation under international law, for the national government to cooperate with the ICC.”





















Submitting your tip... please wait!
MUDFLAPS
Posted on November 20, 2011 at 11:54pmman those are some ugly people.
Report Post »MUDFLAPS
Posted on November 20, 2011 at 11:53pmwell time for a bit of pay back.
Report Post »zoro51
Posted on November 20, 2011 at 8:47amEXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! leave no stone unturned. death to the murdering muslum
Report Post »I SPY
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 1:15pmThank you, American Military Intelligence Agencies! And no, this doesn’t include you, Nobamas.
Report Post »someonewhocares
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 1:48pmLet the Libyans do it again!
http://politicalbowl.com – Political Videos
Report Post »georgeisn6
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 11:12am“O” MY” this is no. 26 of gidilfies three son’s “O”whatabummer” has captured or killed. PRASE BE TO ALLA.
Report Post »lukerw
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 11:00amI detest this! With so many Real Enemies, who can harm us, in the World… the US attacks a Camel Cavalry with Missles and claims a Great Victory. BUNKUM!
Report Post »txn4justice
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 10:59amSure that ain‘t what’s his name; the obama czar that lost his job because he was controversial.
Report Post »whatthecrazy
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 10:58amYipee one more down ,just a billion to go…………
Report Post »RossPoldark
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 11:17pmThey breed like rabbits.
Report Post »SpankDaMonkey
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 9:39am.
Report Post »They could make some good money with this guy. They could hold a Lottery for the Beheading…..
RossPoldark
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 11:18pmNo, I am sure the muslims will hold a lottery to make this guy one of the inman se x slave.
Report Post »ares338
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 8:59amI guess he will be saying goodbye to his head in a formal ceremony. Alley Oop Snackbar!
Report Post »TWO BITS
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 8:54amWith another Gadhafi cooling his heels, the State Department can begin to design a plan to ice their Islamists’ successors in Libya. That may be in the distant future, but it is almost certain.
Report Post »Monketo
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 8:54amSuch a shame I would love to hear him testify in the Hague or anywhere else in the western world. It would be great to see what he had to say about the US and European governments colluding with his father in Lybia for all of those years.
Report Post »SpankDaMonkey
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 9:51am.
Report Post »I’d rather get poked in the eye with a sharp stick………….
UBETHECHANGE
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 8:24amWill he get a fair civil trial or will they maul, shoot, sodomize, and tear his scalp/hair out in the streets?
Report Post »jblaze
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 8:45amAll this blood is on Obama’s hands! He will be judged by God on the day of reckoning!
Report Post »Baddoggy
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 7:12amI am sure they will double tap him so he can go see his Papa in paradise.
Report Post »quicker
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 7:11amMust be a proud day for Obummer and Billiary,.
Report Post »Exrepublisheep
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 7:43amYup.
Report Post »TANK3584
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 6:51amsoon we will see him dead…..
Report Post »