Gunmen Kidnap 2 Americans in Sinai, Then Free Them
- Posted on February 3, 2012 at 7:38am by
Jonathon M. Seidl
- Print »
- Email »
EL-ARISH, Egypt (AP) — Bedouin tribesmen abducted two female American tourists and their Egyptian guide at gunpoint Friday but released them several hours later after negotiations with tribal leaders in the Sinai Peninsula, the region’s security chief said.
The brazen daylight abduction along a busy highway was a new blow to Egypt’s vital tourism industry, which has been heavily battered by the unrest following last year’s uprising that ousted former President Hosni Mubarak.
(Related: Could the Sinai Peninsula become the next al Qaeda stronghold?)
Tensions across the nation have spiked since a deadly soccer riot on Wednesday that has spiraled into a political crisis and fueled anger at the ruling military council after protesters accused police of standing by and allowing the bloodshed.
Also Friday, four masked gunmen stopped the vehicle of two Italians working for a local food factory in the nearby city of Suez, taking their car, more than 10,000 euros ($13,000) and their laptops, the director of the company Mohammed Antar said. The attackers let the Italians go.
Maj. Gen. Mohammed Naguib, the head of security for southern Sinai, said the three were snatched from a minivan after it was intercepted at gunpoint while carrying the group from St. Catherine’s Monastery to the Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh. The attackers, who were driving a sedan and a pickup truck, then sped away into the mountains. A helicopter buzzed over the area as authorities launched a search and rescue mission.
The bus was carrying three other people who were left behind, Naguib said. Their nationalities were not immediately known.
The gunmen were demanding the release of a number of fellow tribesmen arrested this week on drug trafficking and robbery charges but agreed to free the women after mediation efforts between officials and tribal leaders, Naguib said.
Bedouins have long complained of discrimination and random arrests by the government, and tensions have intensified in recent months along with a general deterioration of security in the region including attacks on police stations, armed militias roving the streets and attacks on pipelines carrying gas to Jordan and Israel.
Naguib said he had agreed to look into the demands but provided no other details.
Katharina Gollner-Sweet, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, confirmed that two American women had been kidnapped but gave no further details, citing privacy concerns.
Earlier this week, armed Islamic militants also seized 25 Chinese factory workers after forcing them off a bus elsewhere in the peninsula, but they were released the next day. The kidnappers were also demanding the release of members of their group arrested years before on charges of terrorism.
In general, Egypt has faced a surge in crime since the uprising, which uprooted Mubarak’s police state that kept tight control over the population of 85 million. Protesters accuse the military council that has assumed power and the police force of negligence.
Tourism Minister Mounir Abdel-Nour said last month that the number of tourists who came to Egypt in 2011 dropped to 9.8 million from 14.7 million the previous year. Revenues for the year clocked in at $8.8 billion compared to $12.5 billion in 2010.
This story has been update.






















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Comments (53)
potech90
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 11:00ameverything you said is so true, and so scary. i cant believe this is happening to our great country. what kind of plan B are you proposing?
Report Post »elosogrande
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 10:13amAnyone recall what Justice Ginsberg had to say yesterday, about the wonderful democracy blooming in Egypt?
How could anyone so obviously biased and anti-American end up on The Supreme Court?
Report Post »Stoic one
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 10:02amHE is an anchor baby..
Report Post »Stoic one
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 10:01amHey Egypt , Keep this up and your dropping revenue will go below one billion… then nothing..
Report Post »nobull14
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:55amThat’s how the Arab spring working for them !!!!! If these American women are stupid enough to go into a third world toilet and get flushed ?
Report Post »paleoman
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:50amBet they are either democrats or some sort of liberal tree huggers.
Report Post »wewantchillywilly
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:12amsorry, but you don’t go into a tiger cage with steaks strapped to your body and expect a good outcome. anybody that goes over to these countries is on the menu.
but hey, now obama can send in a SEAL team and take all the credit for it. you know,because, it’s an extremely tough decision to have the top units in the military take out the worlds most wanted man, right? it’s a TOUGH decision. takes GUTS!
what a crock. I think deciding whether I am going to have chicken or steak is 100x more difficult a decision than that. Obama is cooking the books on the unemployment numbers, and is going to exploit the efforts of the special forces for his political gain. the american people, the large majority of which are idiots, will fall for it, and obama will get re elected. guarantee you the unemployment numbers go to 5% before the next election.
Report Post »linearnonlinear
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:17amOhh I love Chilly Willy’s in the summer. Freeze them and then cut the top off and squeeze out the goodness.
Report Post »cvs334
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:29amSorry Willy, but we should not have to cower! There are more American’s safely traveling in the middle east than in there are in Detroit;-) It’s like saying the girl who dresses nice deserved the rape!! No evil is evil … and we need to be aware, but not cower.
Also, I have a different perspective … my sister has lived there safely for almost 20 year!! Yea she has had some issues, but mostly because Mubarak’s goons were hunting journalists!
Report Post »kryptonite
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:54am@cvs334
Report Post »my sister has lived there safely for almost 20 year!! Yea she has had some issues, but mostly because Mubarak’s goons were hunting journalists!
——-
Hmm… Lara Logan would disagree. Got a pic of your sister?
RightUnite
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:54amHello?? Does the State Department not have warnings against traveling in the area?? What the h*ll were they thinking??? Oh… Obviously they weren’t.
Report Post »eagle3tx
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:04amThere ARE warnings issued for Egypt.
Report Post »Walkabout
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:50amThe women thought that the Sinai being away from the center or heart (Urban centers) of Egypt was safer.
They were probably Christians with an interest in early Christian history.
Report Post »Anonymous T. Irrelevant
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:53amAmerican women should know by now to NOT go into muslime countries. There is too big a risk that muslime men will want to get some strange. Doesn’t the islam religion have any “do not commit adultery” commands?
Report Post »RightUnite
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:51amSorry, I have absolutely no sympathy for an American who is stupid enough to be in the ME in these trying times! SORRY!
Report Post »Marsh626
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:39amStop traveling to the 3rd world. It’s a kidnapping/death waiting to happen. It’s especially important to boycott Egypt now after the islamofascists have taken it over.
Report Post »SamIamTwo
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:38amEl presidente, how is that DEMOCRACY working over in EGYPT? It’s a peaceful religion…and no Obama you and your regime has not made it better for USA in the world today…They haven’t changed how they feel and think about the US…they never will, they never have…for we are the GREAT SATAN (Persian شيطان بزرگ Shaytân-e Bozorg)!
All you did el presidente is to FACILITATE the attack on USA. Ignorant intellect, he is!!!!!!!!!!
Report Post »Zipit
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:36amHere we go! Time for the usuall parade of stupid relatives, sobbing on camera while standing next to their pro-bono attorney, fishing for a morsal of notoriety. “they were just backpackers”. Next, Hillary will be out to issue the obligatory condemnation, followed by a “for show only”, prayer vigil outside the white house!!!! PUKE……..Morons Maybe their abductors can do us all a favor and mummify them……..
Report Post »Speak without Fear
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:34amTHATSITIVEHADENOUGH….
Not sure what website you are talking about. You are a much better person then I……I wouldn’t waste my time trying to tell them. Frankly, I hope they go and I hope they don’t come back. ( Not implying that I wish bad on them…..I just hope they don’t come back)
Report Post »omgfolks
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:21amDear Seal Team,
Report Post »It seems a couple of Dumb A–es are in dire need of your guidance, please drop by and explain to them possible tragic consequences of messing with the U.S. Use you own best judgement as to how much of an education they need, but do make sure the message is loud and clear, Show them we are not targets We are the shooter, we do not want to fight, but We are damn good at it. Just let them know, apparentley they were not paying attention in the last class.
little big man
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:40amI think this is an obama set up. he knows he is going to lose reelection in Nov.
Obama said to these americans get yourself captured so nother great photo op and story about how I look out for americans.
On another note why are americans still going to these mooslim countries????? are YOU F-ING crazy.
Report Post »momrules
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:20amIsn’t Justice Ginsberg over there singing praises to the Arab spring?
Maybe she can offer to exchange herself for the hostages.
Report Post »TAKE_AMERICA_BACK
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:44amThat sounds like a great idea! And we’ll throw in Sotomayor and Kagan to sweeten the deal.
Report Post »mohavegreen
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 10:25amDon‘t know about a trade burkas can’t hide that much ugly.
Report Post »sy212
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:19amOf course they are going to kidnap American women, once the burka comes off and they see how ugly their women are, what choice do you have. What the heck are they doing in Egypt anyway, we shouldn’t spend a dime to get them back. I won’t even go to Mexico, things are so fudged up.
Report Post »omgfolks
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:13amYes Hello? Is this Seal Team 6? Great how are you guys today? Well the reason I am calling is it seems a few dumb asses has once again messed with the U.S. and I would like for you to drop by and explain to them how tragic this can be for their future. Lets call this operation ” oh no you didn’t”.
Report Post »denispaul
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:20amOnce again dumd axx Amer’s put our Seals in danger.
Report Post »omgfolks
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:28amHow ever they got there they do not deserve what happened, Yes there is a risk, it is unfortunate, but NO ONE IS BETTER EQUIPPED to keep the risk minimal than our Seal Team. They are after all the best of the best.
Report Post »Artisan
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:13amThat’s why I choose to only travel and see America now. My wife and I use to take cruises all over the world and go out amongst the local population once we reached our destination. Not anymore. The world hates americans and makes kidnapping us a business. American tourism is 75% of some of the 3rd world countries revenue.On some of the islands, american tourism is 90% of the islands revenue.
Im sure the Democrats will try to make us feel guilty for not traveling to these mud pits anymore. The mud pits leader will find some bleeding heart libs,film them trodding through their ghettos and then ask the american tax payer to improve their living.Only when the 3rd world countries realize that kidnapping has dried up their revenue and their infrastructure starts crumbling and people begin to starve will they come crawling with hat in hand. Too late! Im not giving them another dime.
Report Post »carbonyes
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:26amThank Obummer for the economic decay in Egypt, and the rest of the world for that matter. Obummer promoted the Arab Spring and the takeover by the Muslim Brotherhood, of which Obummer is a member. Another reason why Obummer is purposefully destroying America, it’s economy and the American people. Obummer is not a Christian. Barack Hussein Obama is a Muslim! Declared it more than once himself. He is also a liar, deceiver and a traitor. No part of Obummer is an American. Get it yet?
Report Post »SoupSandwich
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:05amWere the from the Color of Change with credit card taking smart phones? Lets leave them where they are this time. Team 6 needs down time, send over Roseane and that Sheehan hag to negotiate.
Report Post »Speak without Fear
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:05amJust STUPID. Anyone that is a tourist right now in Egypt has to have their head firmly planted in their arse.
Report Post »Thatsitivehadenough
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:14amTry telling that to the idiot liberals over on the Fodors website. They were all so excited about getting huge discounts because of the recent events. I warned them, and they complained about me.
Report Post »eagle3tx
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 9:03amHuffPo also ran an article encouraging travel to Egypt. And, the US HAS issued warnings.
Report Post »SpankDaMonkey
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:03am.
WTF were you Thinking? Or did you want something like this to happen? With all the news about what happens to PC White Guilt American Women, just trying to help it makes me wonder……
Please don’t spend a Dime of Taxpayer money to save these fools……
Report Post »Coralchristie
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:00amWhy has the State Department not issued travel warnings for Egypt? Hm-m-m-m. Another symptom of a corrupt, inept federal government … especially leadership.
Report Post »Speak without Fear
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:11amAnyone with a ounce of common sense doesn‘t need the Gov’t to tell them it is unsafe to travel there.
Pretty sure these tourists think because they are accepting of Isam/Muslims and the culture that they are exempt from kidnappings,beheadings,stoning, etc.
These are liberal/progressives that think they are “SPECIAL”
Report Post »Gonzo
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 7:49amI can’t believe tourism only dropped by 30% last year. You couldn’t pay me to go over there.
Report Post »mike_trivisonno
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:17amOnce the muslims start jihading on the antiquities, there won’t be any reason to visit anymore.
Report Post »Baddoggy
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 7:43amwhy in the hell any American would want to go to Egypt now? I am sure we will send Seal team 6 in to resue them…sigh.
Report Post »I say tough noogies if you are stupid enough to go there you deserve what you get.
MonkeyBeagle
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 7:46amyou have a good point.. but the way this admin worked the justice department may have been givin out free flight tickets to egypt… free accomadations to any american that would go
Report Post »javasport
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 7:51amObama needs to build up his approval with Seal Team Six rescues.
Report Post »Snowleopard {gallery of cat folks}
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 7:54amIndeed once again when Obama needs to make a politcal point he will deploy the SEAL teams and rescue the hostages; not a moment before, and then like with those after UBLs finish, someone will sell them down the river and to their deaths.
Report Post »mike_trivisonno
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:00amPeople still go to Egypt because they labor still under the deception that Islam is just fine, and that Jihad doesn’t exist, and that the only evil on the planet is America.
That is why. They are deceived.
Report Post »momrules
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:05amI keep hoping that the next time the SEALS are used for Obama’s image making he will have them rescue Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. Bowe has been a POW since June 2009 but rarely is mentioned in the media.
Report Post »