Is Google’s Autocomplete a Privacy Invasion If It Brings Up False Info? Japanese Court Thinks So
- Posted on March 26, 2012 at 11:21am by
Liz Klimas
- Print »
- Email »

(Photo: Robert Scoble/Flickr)
What’s one thing a potential employer or date will do before hiring or deciding to meet up with you for coffee Tuesday night? Answer: Google you. Depending on the algorithm’s results, Google’s handy autocomplete may bring up a couple keywords as they start typing your name into the search bar. Here’s where things can get sticky if your name is associated with not so flattering words or activities.
For a Japanese man, this feature has lost him his job and taken away the potential for several others. It is for this reason, a Tokoyo district court has ordered Google to turn off or disassociate certain terms in autocomplete for this unnamed man (the name was withheld for his privacy). PC World reports that the autocomplete function would bring up crimes the man says he didn’t commit:
The search giant likely links the man’s name to the crime terms because a false story about him containing allegations apparently spread across various sites, which were then indexed by the search giant, Tomita said. The man says he has no knowledge of the types of crimes that appear.
Google did not respond to a request for comment on this case. The company has faced similar cases in other countries and has usually responded with the defense that it is not responsible for the results, as they are automatically generated, though this defense has not always succeeded. The company does screen some terms from its auto-complete feature, including pornographic words.
Last year in Italy, a court ordered that Google filter out search suggestions damaging to individual reputations after a man’s name was linked to “con man” and “fraud.“ The company was fined in France because an insurance company was linked to the word ”crook,” and has also been the subject of litigation from a hotel in Ireland and individuals in the U.S., according to media reports.
Tokyo lawyer Hiroyuki Tomita, who is representing the man, said that he was told by some potential employers that he was not brought on thanks to the autocomplete associating his names with the crimes. ABC News elaborates stating that when his name is searched, according to Tomita, more than 10,000 disparaging words are associated with him.
Even with the court order that set a deadline of Sunday for the man‘s name to be relieved of Google’s autocomplete, as of Monday the function remained unchanged, according to PC World. ABC News states that Google has maintained its autocomplete doesn’t violate privacy policies or the Communications Decency Act of the U.S., and it will therefore not change its system to comply with Japanese law. Here‘s what Google’s autocomplete policy says about how the feature works:
Predicted queries are algorithmically determined based on a number of purely algorithmic factors (including popularity of search terms) without human intervention. The autocomplete data is updated frequently to offer fresh and rising search queries.
[...]
The search queries that you see as part of autocomplete are a reflection of the search activity of all web users. Just like the web, the search queries presented may include silly or strange or surprising terms and phrases. While we always strive to neutrally and algorithmically reflect the diversity of content on the web (some good, some objectionable), we also apply a narrow set of removal policies for pornography, violence, hate speech, and terms that are frequently used to find content that infringes copyrights.
AsiaJin reports Google Japan as saying it doesn’t have the authority to remove these words from associating with the man’s name. If Google continues to refuse compliance with the court order, Tomita said his client will seek further legal action for damages he has incurred.
ZDNet reports Tomita as saying this feature “could lead to irretrievable damage such as a loss of job or bankruptcy” for his client.
What do you think? Should Google comply with the Japanese court order to prevent this man with being associated disparaging terms? Or is the search giant in the right to deny this request given that it is headquartered in the United States — therefore under U.S. law — and its autocomplete policy has a “narrow set of removal policies”?




















Submitting your tip... please wait!
drenfroe
Posted on March 28, 2012 at 12:29amIt’s against American constitution and the Japanese are right. Common sense. There are some things no one needs to be digging around in because computers and computer systems are only as good as the person intering the information. Face it misinformation happens. Everyone has gone to far with criminal investigations and background checks. It is being overzealous in the extreme and used to distroy or to block access to vital organizations in the name of security. It hasn’t made anyone safer, infact it has the opposite effect
Report Post »Chet Hempstead
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 9:31pm“this unnamed man (the name was withheld for his privacy)”
No, that is a lie. His name was withheld, because if he attached his name publicly to the lawsuit, it would solve the problem he is trying to sue over. When you typed in his name, Google autocomplete would suggest that the most likely next words were “Google” or “lawsuit,” all the real stories about his lawsuit would fill the first several pages of search results, pushing the false stories down the list so that nobody would see them until they had already read that they were false, his problem would have solved itself, and he would be unable to prove any damages,
Report Post »Question with BOLDness
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 5:39pmI think they should comply. They are well-aware that the results are bringing up erroneous info about the man, JUST DO IT already!
Report Post »Chet Hempstead
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 3:16pmIt’s not Google’s fault if the words most commonly associated with your name are con man. It’s not their fault if false information about you is more widespread than accurate information. Even if they disabled the autocomplete, the false stories would still be dominate the list of results after someone typed your name and hit enter. It’s not Google’s fault that people are so negligent that they would rely only on a Google search to get information about you. Where would that leave people who just have the same name as someone who really did something wrong?
Report Post »Jenny Lind
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 2:20pmEverything that can be used for great good, has the potential of being used for great evil. The more I learn, the more I am becoming a bit scared of this so-called “information” highway. Pity the youngsters who put stupid stuff on line that will come back and bite them. I really am too old to give a rip, but if I were younger I would rethink the whole information thing. This is going to get worse and the government will be the worst culprit. What google is doing is wrong-they cannot defend ruining someone’s life with an “oh well” attitude. I have grown to totaly distrust them.
Report Post »Byrn67
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 1:33pmBetween the doj,google and facebook the three of them will destroy the internet and that doesnt even include cell phones . Folks are getting fed up with it . But withought credt cards computers and email its gettin almost imposible to live and work now days.
Report Post »Stoic one
Posted on March 26, 2012 at 12:15pmAll people need to realize, you dig in an information pile; there will be poopoo in what is found.
Report Post »