Jobless Benefits Claims Fall Slightly, Top 400,000 for 13th Straight Week
- Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:11am by
Billy Hallowell
- Print »
- Email »
WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) — The number of people applying for unemployment benefits fell last week to the lowest level in seven weeks, although applications remain elevated.
The Labor Department says applications for benefits dropped by 14,000 to a seasonally adjusted 418,000.
Applications have topped 400,000 for 13 weeks, evidence the job market has weakened since the beginning of the year. Applications had fallen in February to 375,000, a level that signals sustainable job growth. They stayed below 400,000 for seven of the next nine weeks. But then applications surged to an eight-month high of 478,000 in April and have shown only modest improvement since. Bloomberg has more:
“Claims are still stuck at a level that’s too high,” Jennifer Lee, a senior economist at BMO Capital Markets in Toronto, said before the report. “A lot of companies aren’t going to worry about hiring until they are certain the economic recovery is self-sustaining. It’s still a soft-patch environment.”
The department says that about 2,500 applications in Minnesota were from state employees temporarily laid off due to a state government shutdown.




















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Comments (38)
Navyveteran
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 6:13pm400,000 people a week for 13 weeks = 5,200,000 in the last 13 weeks and obama still thinks our economy is getting better. He should stay on the golf course unemployment may get better if he isn’t there to screw things over. I will just take over his autopen ;p
Report Post »libloather7
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 6:12pmOh, thank God, the Bamster and his wonderful team of Czars must really be doing great on creating jobs for millions of out of work Americans. I can hardly wait to hear the deep breathing admiration of the MSM for their hero of the left.
Report Post »Bernard
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 5:59pmIt is incredible that no matter how many people are jobless and the numbers continue to rise, our “anointed one” Obama keeps the percentage below double digits. that 9.1 % is stuck even if this entire nation is jobless, the trickery of this administration will not face the fact that we are in a depression worse than that of 1929.
Report Post »Shelby56
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 5:30pm@ Firstlast
Report Post »trickle-down cant work if you kill the tree
firstlast
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 5:04pmSo much for for the horse and sparrow theory (aka “trickle-down”)… when are those tax breaks for the rich going to kick in???
Report Post »lylejk
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 2:46pmStill living on emergency (was my new car) fund and can hold out a little longer. Only collected Unemployment for 4 months before doing contract work a year ago May, but it’s been all lacking since last September. My last job was a few months ago (April) for 4 hours work. lol
I check the State umemployment boards daily so I do know folk are still hiring like Michaels (a hobby type store for those curious), but so far haven’t broken down to apply for minimum wage jobs yet. I have no hope in even trying to get back into Engineering any more (dream has died for me years ago), but even computer contract work is dead now. Not starving and have a roof over my head, but very much disenchanted and really need to get over the fact that the good days are over for many more folk not just me. I still believe the solution is repealing NAFTA/GATT, but both major parties won’t even entertain a tariff war so, like Ross already said, the sucking sound continues. A third world country we are about to become. Sorry for my diatribe, but venting still helps as weird as that sounds. If any of you are rich, I guess the stock market is still doing fine. :)
Report Post »TomFerrari
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 2:14pmJust wrote a new bumper sticker…
The Audacity of NOPE!
(tm)
Report Post »noah2854
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 12:32pmthe director of the labor department is hilda soliz the bias latina that refuses to be American
Report Post »and cater to the illegals so I will not be surprise that this is arrange so the people stop
complaining about the illegals stealing jobs from Americans which is true just check
every hotel ,every restaurant ,every constuction job even in the hospitals and the airport
this is just crazy people loosing their jobs and I don’t see any illegal unemploy people
should be in front of the white house demanding all those illegals to be deported and
the current laws enforced and NAFTA to be repeal thank you bill clinton .
mikee1
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 11:55amThese are all GOV.-CREATED numbers. That means we do not know the truth. It is like a presidential debate. It is staged. The questions and answers are all known to the GOV.-MEDIA COMPLEX. Odumbo will have his TELEPROMPTER. It is all A FRAUD.
Report Post »Richard Compton
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 11:51amSome would try and tell you that this figure is good news (the Obama team) but before you start jumping up and down get out your calculator and do a little math 13 X 400,000 = 5,200,000 more people out of work over the last 13 weeks! Dose that look like a good number to you? Now figure the number of people no longer eligible for benefits and those who were no able to collect benefits and that number will grow tremendously. Is this what Hope & Change looks like? Enough is enough we need to change directions and do it now, we cannot afford anymore Obamamanation of America!
Report Post »Shelby56
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 5:21pmBut but but I created
Report Post »2 mil jobs
desertkid
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 11:41amStimulus package of early 2009 was deemed a “recovery package”. In early 2010 Joe Biden told us that “the recovery plan is designed to kick-in in the second half of 2010. Now here it is the second half of 2011 and we just recently found out that the recovery plan is now deemed “shovel ready wasn’t as shovel ready as we thought hahahaha”.
Report Post »concealled9mms
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 10:57amI dont believe it at all, in my town of riverside ca in mondays press enterprise newspaperjobs section there was a whopping total of 5 jobs listed . The month of june alone ca lost 25,000 jobs . Toyota is going to leave the state ,and governor browns new tax on the online tax has amazon thinking about leaving which will be a jobs loss total of 10,000. This number that came out today will be adjusted next week .I watch daily at this once great state go down the toilet and i no longer give a crap i am one of the lucky ones who has other places to go . With all the sacrifice we make in cali for this money issues to date there has not been one cut to illegal aliens benefits, barb boxer and fienstien have done nothing for this state unless it pertains to the area they are from. Die cali die i could not give a crap my ranch in northern arizona is calling me now
Report Post »wewantchillywilly
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 10:52amdid obama hire more staffers?
Report Post »windycitywoman
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 10:26amHello Blaze friends. I have recently posted information on my Face Book group regarding prayers for GB and his fans. If you have sent me a friend request, please resend it, if you have not, please join us in daily prayers to up lift Glenn in his endeavors and his fans to continue to have honor and courage. I am a member of GBTV and we will be discussing his program daily. If you cannot afford GBTV, this is a great way to stay updated! Please join us at Face Book and find me under Sharon Grek Papucci.
Report Post »leftcoastslut
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 10:09amand yet the POTUS says that his people in the white house have not received a raise in 2-1/2 years, as he says is only fair….. but the list shows 21 names who received raises totaling over $600,000.
Mark Vogel, special assistant to the pres for economic policy received a raise of $59,100…. hum Mark must be doing a great job. he specializes in email marketing.
his raise is more than my salary.
Report Post »MikeinIdaho
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 10:04am…and that’s why we have to raise taxes! unemployment is too low and Obama’s plan to collapse the economy and enslave the people is not working fast enough!
Report Post »dsm
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:54amIt‘s Bushs’ fault along with the earthquake in New Zealand yesterday. When are people going to wake up and realize this administration does not want people working. You can’t control their every move if they are independent of government assistance.
Report Post »let us prey
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:31amThe jobless recovery is brought to you by :
Report Post »The baby dictator
way to go obumma
thegreatcarnac
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:30amObama is a disaster. His whole life is a farce and now seems to be a secret. His economic policies are nothing more than a punishment on the US for being a majority white nation.
Report Post »cntrlfrk
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:24amObama’s plan for improving this number is hoping people just enter into early retirement, die, or give up altogether.
This is what Obamunism gets you.
.
Report Post »Attention2Detail
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:22amAll part of the “growthless recovery”. When will Americans wake up and see this administration for what it really is?
Report Post »nomercy63
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:20amWOW!!! Should we go out and party now????? No matter what they say I have seen nothing but erosion of all my money since Obama became President, food,gas IRA everything down or gone!!!!!!
Report Post »elkslayer
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:18amSooner or later every one on unemployment will run out. Then the numbers will fall faster. Is this what they are waiting for?
Report Post »teddie888
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 11:37amExactly correct. They aren‘t counting all those who have run out of the 99 wks and still don’t have a job.
Report Post »jackeric61
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 11:51am100% right!!! How many of those are people whose benifits have expired This nonsense has been going on for 3 years, how much longer can we keep paying for people not to work? Ahh socialism at it’s best.
Report Post »Ironmaan
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:18amThe CNBC talking heads will tout this as good news.
Report Post »http://guerillatics.com
I.Gaspar
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:12amWait and see what happens if the chosen one is chosen again.
Report Post »These numbers will look good by comparison.
Ah, the audacity of hope…
Anonymous T. Irrelevant
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:19am14,000 just gave up looking for jobs.
Report Post »TheOracleOfTruth
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:30amThe truth of the matter is our Gov’t lies to us, covers up and makes back room deals, that hurt our national interests. They all campaign saying one thing, then when they get to DC, find a new script. How are they representing our interests by lying about CPI, unemployment, the Fed, and all of the other mis-information they put out? I’ve had it up to my eyeballs with the corruption and lies, and therefore, think we are going to default one day. From that day forward things will be ugly all around. Right now they are using gimmicks and tricks to keep us afloat, how long can that really last? I throw my hands upin disgust!
Report Post »Cobra Blue
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:52amWait until they top 500,000 per week…guess we will still be in the midst of a jobless recovery then, too. WAKE UP PEOPLE. The country is breaking apart like the Titanic.
Report Post »drattastic
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 11:05amIt’ll be funny to watch the lib media spin this as good news.
Report Post »fastfacts
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 12:49pmINTERESTING ENOUGH, ADP SAID THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN 157,000 PRIVATE SECTOR NEW HIRES, YET AMERICA ONLY COUNTS 14,000…?
What happened to the rest of the jobs between 157,000 and 14,000? How many were laid off during this week? ( http://tiny.cc/ajb7b )
Report Post »concealled9mms
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 1:38pm25,000 laid off in calif in the month of june
Report Post »Bernard
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 5:56pmI.Gaspar:
Report Post »True