US

Libyan Mass Grave Uncovered: Bodies of Blindfolded Detainees Slain by Gadhafi’s Military

Libyan Mass Grave Uncovered: Bodies of Blindfolded Men Shot by Gaddafis Military

GALAA, Libya (The Blaze/AP) — In a grove of pine trees near this mountain village, residents have dug up the remains of 35 bound and blindfolded men who they say were shot at close range by Moammar Gadhafi’s military.

Dozens of miles away, a search team has exhumed the bodies of 18 detainees who died on a hot summer day while locked in a shipping container by Gadhafi guards.

As Libyans cope with the aftermath of their six-month civil war, more evidence is emerging that loyalists of the former regime savagely abused and in some cases killed detainees just before fleeing from advancing rebel troops.

There’s no proof of systematic killings ordered from above, but Gadhafi’s incitement against the rebel fighters he called rats “opened the door for this kind of barbaric conduct,” said Fred Abrahams of Human Rights Watch.

A warrant for Gadhafi’s arrest, issued in June by the International Criminal Court, focuses on killings and arrests during the initial phase of the uprising that began in February and eventually toppled the regime.

If Gadhafi is ever caught and tried, whether in Libya or abroad, any new evidence of atrocities might buttress the case against him.

For ordinary Libyans, the healing process from the war will be slow, with at least 30,000 believed dead and 50,000 wounded, according to the former rebels’ health minister.

Many have suffered unspeakable trauma. Geography student Mohannad Berfat said he endured 10 days of beatings and electric shock in the shipping container-turned-prison in the coastal town of Khoms. Mohammed Ajal, a volunteer, helped dig up the mass grave in the Nafusa mountain village of Galaa in western Libya, only to find his father and brother among the dead.

Gadhafi and his loyalists are “monsters,” said Ajal, 36, standing next to the grave site on the outskirts of Galaa, the stench of decaying bodies still heavy in the air.

Berfat, 22, said he is counting on divine retribution.

“God will punish them,” he said of his tormentors, as he helped unload the remains of 18 fellow detainees from Khoms, including a cousin, who died June 6 but were found only Thursday.

Abrahams said he expects more atrocities will come to light. In Tripoli, dozens of charred bodies of slain prisoners were discovered after loyalists fled the capital in late August. The detainees had been held by troops commanded by Gadhafi’s son Khamis. Some 4,000 people are missing across Libya.

Before the rebels’ decisive August offensive, they only controlled eastern Libya, while Gadhafi held most of the west. Fierce battles raged around two rebel pockets of resistance in the west: the Nafusa mountain range and the city of Misrata.

As part of their deployment in the mountains, Gadhafi’s troops were encamped in a center for boy scouts on the outskirts of Galaa, a village of about 7,000 people, in late spring and early summer. Residents said the loyalists seized dozens of men at checkpoints and in raids of nearby homes and detained them at their makeshift base.

Some detainees were eventually released, including postal worker Omar Huzar, 55, but scores of others disappeared without a trace after Gadhafi’s forces fled the area in early July, residents said.

In mid-August, Abdel Gassem Kreir, a photographer in Galaa, said he saw cellphone video on YouTube showing a group of bodies, most of them bound and face-down, in a familiar-looking wooded area. Huzar, the released detainee, said he recognized some of the men in the video as fellow prisoners.

A group from Galaa, aided by a team from the Red Cross, began exhuming the bodies Aug. 20.

Kreir said the remains were still in the same position as in the video, and that a Red Cross forensics expert told him most had been shot in the upper back or head. The Red Cross said Friday it had dispatched the expert to help identify remains, not to try to determine how the men were killed.

Using brushes, members of the search team gently laid bare the remains in the shallow pit.

There were particularly painful discoveries. Ajal, one of the volunteers, found his father and one of his brothers. Kamal Grada, 31, discovered a younger brother. Although the bodies were in advanced stages of decay, 28 were identified, using clothing, keys and cellphone memory cards, according to searchers and the rebels’ justice minister, Mohammed al-Alagi.

After 10 days of digging, the bodies were laid to rest Wednesday in a special cemetery in Galaa, each grave marked by a gray cement block. Large photos marked the graves of those who were identified, while the other graves remained bare.

Kreir set up a memorial and photo exhibit in the cemetery, including frame grabs from the cellphone video and pictures from the dig. Grieving relatives and village residents paid their respects Thursday and clustered around the photo exhibit.

Grada brushed the dust off a glass-covered photo in the exhibit, showing a row of bodies. He pointed to one corpse, lying facedown and wearing jeans, and said that was his brother, Abdel Hamid.

“They are all brothers,” Grada said of the dead, explaining the communal grief. “It’s not just my brother.”

A day after the Galaa burial, another search team found 18 bodies near a road construction site dozens of miles away. The bodies are believed to be those of 18 men who died June 6 in a makeshift Gadhafi detention center in Khoms, said Col. Salem Tweer, head of the former rebels’ local military council.

On that scorching day, 29 detainees were being held in two shipping containers at the Khoms camp, said Abrahams, citing testimony from two survivors.

The guards had shot air holes into the containers, but the temperature inside the metal boxes rose rapidly. Banging on the walls, the detainees pleaded for water and air, Abrahams said. When the guards finally opened the door around 4 p.m., 18 men were dead and another died later, the researcher said.

Tweer said one of the guards was asked by his commander to burn the bodies, apparently to destroy evidence. Instead, the guard drove the bodies to the remote location and buried them, apparently because burning the corpses would have violated his Islamic beliefs, Tweer said.

On Thursday, the guard led Tweer to the burial site.

The team exhumed the bodies, wrapped them in plastic bags and trucked them to the morgue of the Tripoli Medical Center.

As the back doors of the truck swung open just after midnight Thursday, volunteers wearing surgical and gas masks against the stench loaded the bodies onto gurneys. A doctor unzipped each body bag in search of identifying signs, a difficult task considering the advanced stage of decay.

At one point, Berfat, the former detainee whose cousin died in one of the containers, was called over to help with an ID. He briefly lost composure, leaned forward and rested his hands on his knees, as if expecting to be sick.

It’s not clear to whether new evidence of atrocities could lead to additional charges against Gadhafi.

Al-Alagi, the justice minister, alleged that the orders for the killings came from the top. At the least, he said, brigade commanders would be brought to justice.

The international court’s prosecutor said recently he is unlikely to launch fresh cases, even though he has evidence implicating other members of Gadhafi’s regime, including Khamis, the military commander.

Even as the search for the victims continues, Abrahams said the degree of savagery displayed so far is shocking.

“In other wars, it’s often the enemy from other ethnic groups, a religious group or nationality, but this was Libyan on Libyan.”

Comments (19)

  • Secret Agent Man
    Posted on September 11, 2011 at 8:05pm

    “35 bound and blindfolded men who they say were shot at close range by Moammar Gadhafi’s military.”

    What kind of bullets were they using? It obviously didn’t work.

    Report Post »  
  • Defends the TRUTH
    Posted on September 11, 2011 at 2:26am

    And We’re SURPRISED?

    Report Post »  
    • Detroit paperboy
      Posted on September 11, 2011 at 10:29am

      Get out of thier way. If they want to fill countless mass graves
      With each other, LET THEM…..religon of peace , no
      Piece of a religon , yes.

      Report Post »  
  • South Philly Boy
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:54pm

    Placed in caskets?

    Report Post » South Philly Boy  
  • blchd
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:47pm

    This story should never have been posted on the Blaze. No way to confirm it just a press release from an agency with an agenda. Where is the truth in this story? I thought the truth was on the Blaze? I can get this crap from Huff Po or NBC, New York Times…………

    Report Post »  
  • blchd
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:43pm

    Someone did a nice job of building that cemetery in the picture for a bunch of executed prisoners. This whole story is nothing but lies in order to try and justify our involvement. No cemetery with crypts and headstone markers are built for executed prisoners. Anything that comes from that region is propaganda. My $.02

    Report Post »  
  • lobster
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 9:56am

    I remember back in the good old days of WW II we bombed the heck out of the German cities just because they were fighting us. Not forgetting Japan. The last 20 years or so we‘ve gotten so squishy that we can’t harm women or children. Is there any such thing as an innocent bystander in these Muslim countries? I think not…

    Report Post »  
    • boxy
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:08pm

      That’s not how it was with us. It took forever for us to get into the war and when we did it was pearl harbor that woke us up. An immense blow to our naval fleet. We have always been the sleeping giant getting beat up on until we wake up and start squishing the enemy.

      Report Post »  
    • blchd
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 1:07pm

      Everyone is an innocent bystander. Thats why they dont wear uniforms. They learned from the Germans how to shed their uniforms and walk away. In Afghanistan they put down their weapons and walk away knowing our stupid rules of engagement. They know that we cannot take them out if they are not holding a weapon. The person responsible for posting this story ought to be cleaning the Toilets at the Blaze.

      Report Post »  
    • Erabin
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 7:45pm

      By saying that there are no innocent bystanders, you realize that you’re legitimizing terrorist attacks on the United States? Because, after all… there are no innocent bystanders, right?

      Report Post »  
  • stang289
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 9:49am

    35 ? mass grave ?

    Report Post » stang289  
  • jblaze
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 9:14am

    “There’s no proof of systematic killings ordered from above,”

    I trust nothing that comes from the mouths of Iranian sympathizers! How many murders were committed by the rebels? Who are the rebels? There are too many unanswered questions regarding this whole mess! America has actually helped Iran to expand its terrorist. God said He would break the pride of our power, which is why America wouldn’t go after the head of the snake in 2001. It’s why, even after storming through Iraq in 2003, with all guns blazing, that we are now handing it over to the mullahs in Tehran.

    “Iran has been the single biggest beneficiary of the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq. Iran has seen a rapid rise in the magnitude of its regional influence—and has every intention of keeping it,” Stratfor wrote yesterday.

    The United States has handed Iraq to Iran on a silver platter. Afghanistan will be served up next. And in the last few months, America has chased away Mubarak and Qadhafi—two authoritarian dictators who at least had the courage to resist against the spread of radical Islam.

    http://www.thetrumpet.com/?q=8634.7368.0.0

    Report Post » jblaze  
    • NuffSaid
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 9:34am

      Good points. REALLY good points ty

      Report Post »  
    • Erabin
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 7:47pm

      “America has chased away Mubarak and Qadhafi—two authoritarian dictators who at least had the courage to resist against the spread of radical Islam.”

      You mean “who worked to further American interests”. Hint: The world does not exist to further American interests.

      Report Post »  
  • NuffSaid
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 9:11am

    Blindfolded before being murdered? Sad but really it’s kind of thoughful, don’t you think?

    Shows some sophistication and sensitivity not commonly found on the African continent, especially in Sub Sahara.

    More common is where one tribe attacks a school filled with children and drags each child outside, hacks off the right arm while the child screams and displays the arm to the other children awaiting their turn.

    Blindfolds before murder. It’s a start.

    Report Post »  
    • Erabin
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 7:51pm

      Is it okay to think that both things are deplorable?

      Addressing one atrocity in the discussion section of an article about that specific atrocity does not mean you do not care about other atrocities.

      Report Post »  
  • DevotedDad
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 9:07am

    Just curious, why do we not hear about:

    * That Al Qaeda is now our friends in Libya
    *That the country’s resources are now being openly stolen
    *that the terrorists, I mean rebels, are rounding op blacks, tying them up and executing them
    *that this war was totally illegal
    *that there have been US, British, and French special forces on the ground since day 1
    *that over 30,000 people were killed as a result of the NATO bombings…

    I am disappointed that the Blaze and Glenn Beck (whom I happen to truly like), do not see this for what it is:

    A globalist and banker takeover of a Country.

    This has never been about humanitarian aid, it is about theft – plain and simple.

    While pour Country is deteriorating right before our eyes, we have billions, if not trillions, to spend illegally attacking another Country.

    Report Post » DevotedDad  
    • Erabin
      Posted on September 10, 2011 at 7:48pm

      What is your opinion on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

      Report Post »  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In