World

Official: 1 Dead, 3 Wounded After US Ship Fires on Small Boat Off Dubai

Official: US Navy Ship Fires on Boat Off Dubai, 1 Dead

Emirati police and other officials inspect a boat docked in a fishing harbor in the Jumeirah district of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Monday, July 16, 2012. (AP Photo/Almoutasim Almaskery)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The U.S. Navy says a security team aboard one of its ships fired on a small boat after it disregarded warnings and raced toward the vessel near the Dubai port of Jebel Ali.

Lt Greg Raelson, a spokesman for the Navy’s Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, says sailors aboard the USNS Rappahannock issued a series of warnings Monday before resorting to lethal force using a .50-caliber machine gun.

A U.S. consular official and an Emirati rescue official in Dubai told The Associated Press that one person was killed and three were wounded in the shooting. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the incident between the two allies.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

An American vessel fired on a boat Monday off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, killing one person and injuring three, according to a U.S. consular official in Dubai.

The official gave no other details, but it appeared the boat could have been mistaken as a threat in Gulf waters not far from Iran’s maritime boundaries.

Dozens of police and other Emirati officials crowded around the white-hulled boat, which sat docked after the incident in a small Dubai port used by fishermen and sailors.

The boat appeared to be a civilian vessel about 30 feet (9 meters) long and powered by three outboard motors. Similar boats are used for fishing in the region, though Iran’s Revolutionary Guard also employs relatively small, fast-moving craft in the Gulf.

Rescue workers were seen carrying one person in a body bag off the boat and placing it in an ambulance as fishermen looked on. Officials moved the boat from the harbor shortly afterward.

An Emirati rescue official at the scene confirmed the casualty toll. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the incident between the two allies.

U.S. military vessels routinely cross paths with Iranian ships in international waters in the Gulf without incident, but speed boats from Iran’s Revolutionary Guard have passed close to U.S. ships in incidents that have raised alarm in Washington.

In early 2008, then President Bush accused Iran of a “provocative act” after five small Iranian craft buzzed around the destroyer USS Hopper.

Tensions are elevated in the Gulf after Iran last week renewed threats to close the strategic Strait of Hormuz – the route for one-fifth of the world’s oil – in retaliation for tighter sanctions over Tehran’s nuclear program. The U.S. recently boosted its naval presence in the Gulf with additional minesweepers and other warships.

The U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet, based in Bahrain, said it was investigating the Monday shooting. The U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi had no immediate comment, referring all questions to the Navy.

Emirati officials could not be reached for comment.

Comments (23)

  • kedward
    Posted on July 17, 2012 at 3:35pm

    We congratulate the sailors for using the correct amount of force. The survivors are probably already enjoying the gentle questioning at Gitmo east. Was this a mistake by innocent fishermen who failed to heed many warnings (in 30 languages) from the ship? Or, was this a test by Iran? This story will cease to exist.

    Report Post »  
  • Ted Zeppelin
    Posted on July 17, 2012 at 11:25am

    It‘s a shame the Navy couldn’t retrive the out board motors and sell’em on eBay. Let’s hope this will serve as a lesson to the gunner and he gets all four diaper heads next time.

    Report Post »  
  • Dagnabbit5
    Posted on July 17, 2012 at 5:26am

    Obama/Clinton will probably apologize for the gunners obviously racist actions. Give the families of these poor misjudged fishermen millions in compensation. The gunner will be proved to be an Islamphode, a homophode, puppy kicker and a Glenn Beck fan justifying him being court martialed.

    Report Post »  
  • supermansdad
    Posted on July 17, 2012 at 2:01am

    Way to go US Navy!

    Though I do wonder how long it will take some Paulbot to come on here and say that we shouldnt have been there and therefore had no right to fire.

    Report Post »  
  • Cappy1918
    Posted on July 17, 2012 at 1:08am

    Looks like the crew of the cigarette boat were testing the resolve of the bow gunner. The Ma 2 will definitely bust up your hull and all inside as they have learned. Don’t let them approach closer than 2000 yards, imagine an explosion on a fleet oiler and the conflagration that would follow. You are dealing with lunatics there and it would be reasoning with zombies.

    Report Post »  
    • Armed Patriot
      Posted on July 17, 2012 at 3:59am

      The only problem I see is that the boat was left afloat. It had to be a short burst as Ma Duece tears it up quick. Should have put the boat on the bottom. Derka, derka, mohamed jihad vs Boom, Boom, Out Go The Lights.

      Report Post » Armed Patriot  
  • spookchaser
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 8:40pm

    Only problem I see is that the Navy left evidence.
    Note to Navy: use larger guns.
    No boat, no bodies, never happened.

    Report Post »  
  • AAB126
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 8:09pm

    Absolutely, without doubt, 100% right in what the Navy did. Warnings were given multiple times and ignored. Fishermen do not speed in boat and head for naval vessels. Give the gunner a medal!
    We do not need another USS Cole incident, and you can bet the ship defenses of our navy will be tested by the Iranians and others.

    Next time something like this happens, do it again.

    Report Post » AAB126  
    • Veteran Patriot
      Posted on July 17, 2012 at 9:57am

      Next time something like this happens the rules of engagement will have been changed to something more acceptable to the UN. Only a direct threat like bullets in their direction or an explosion against the hull will will be sufficient grounds for deadly force. The muslim sympathizer in chief wouldn’t have it any other way. After all, we are the bad guys here…

      Report Post »  
  • Jezcruzen
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 7:39pm

    BYW, to that idiot Blaze reporter, it pronounced “Rap-a-han-ock”. Its a river in the state of Virginia. Its not whatever the reporter slurred out in an attempt of hiding his ignorance!

    Report Post »  
  • Jezcruzen
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 7:36pm

    Before this is settled, we taxpayers will be paying some rag head’s survivors hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Navy should have practiced maritime SSS – Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!

    Report Post »  
  • 762x51
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 4:48pm

    Well duh, .50BMG will do that.

    Ma Duece dispenses some tough love, 750gr at a time. Those fools should have been taught to obey their mother.

    The Tehran Daily Bomber newspaper carried the obituary in part . . .Burial was at sea, arrangements have been made through the 72 Virgins Funeral Home. No service was held. Instead of flowers the families ask that a donation be made to their greatest ally against America, Barrack Obama.

    Report Post »  
  • TSUNAMI-22
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 4:06pm

    I’m glad the Navy responded accurately to an acute threat. They were warned numerous times and in numerous ways. What kind of a moron approaches a US Navy vessel without making contact?

    The Navy was quoted as saying “pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-, BOOM” end quote.

    Report Post »  
  • texasfarmer
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 3:39pm

    Some target practice?

    Report Post » texasfarmer  
  • mountainbiker
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 3:31pm

    Now the Obama administration will launch an investigation and then courts marshal all parties involved in the lawful protection of our vessel.

    Report Post »  
  • MN NICE
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:45pm

    Not doing a hell of a lot of fishing at high speed… I would say if they don’t alter course after a burst of .50 in front of their bow – they should be reduced to fish food…

    Report Post » MN NICE  
  • Mutiny
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:30pm

    This is worth going bankrupt over?

    Report Post » Mutiny  
    • kaydeebeau
      Posted on July 16, 2012 at 4:23pm

      I get your point, how will I ever afford to buy my required burqas unless we stop defending ourselves

      Report Post » kaydeebeau  
  • Detroit paperboy
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:29pm

    Remember the Cole………….

    Report Post »  
  • Gonzo
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:25pm

    That’s exactly how Iran would attack one of our ships. Shoot first, ask questions later men. Carry on.

    Report Post » Gonzo  
  • wboehmer
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:16pm

    Only .50-cal? Shoulda blown the boat to smithereens!

    Shoot first, ask questions later!

    Report Post »  
  • SquidVetOhio
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:12pm

    Hoo-rah! Go Navy.

    Report Post » SquidVetOhio  
  • macpappy
    Posted on July 16, 2012 at 2:08pm

    Go Navy, about time.

    Report Post » macpappy  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In