World

Package Bomb Found at Greek Embassy in Rome

ROME (AP) — A package bomb was found at the Greek Embassy in Rome Monday, three days after mail bombs exploded at two other embassies injuring two people.

Greek Foreign Ministry spokesman Gregoris Delavekouras said from Athens that no one was harmed in the latest incident, in part because heightened security measures had already been put in place.

“The embassy was evacuated and the staff assembled some distance away from the building, so that everyone could be accounted for,” he told The Associated Press.

“There were already heightened security measures at the Greek and other embassies, so the procedure that had to be followed was clear. The matter is now in the hands of the Italian police.”

Mail bombs exploded Friday at the Chilean and Swiss embassies, injuring two people who opened them. An anarchist group with reported ties to Greek anarchists claimed responsibility.

Police, carabinieri and firefighters massed around the building Monday while the Greek Embassy staff lingered outside. The street, in the residential Parioli neighborhood, remained open to traffic.

Reports of suspicious packages at the embassies of Venezuela, Monaco and Denmark were false alarms, police and news reports said. There have been several other reports of suspicious packages in recent days that turned out to be false alarms.

Police told all embassies in the capital to be on alert after the package bombs on Friday; Monday was the first day of business after the Christmas holiday. Sweden‘s Foreign Ministry said no packages have so far been found at that country’s embassy in Rome, but that it was closed Monday “for security measures.”

An Italian group calling itself the Informal Anarchist Federation claimed responsibility for Friday’s blasts. News reports said that a claim found at one of the embassies cited the name of Lambros Fountas, a Greek anarchist who was killed in a shootout with police in March.

Interior Minister Roberto Maroni has said that investigators believe the anarchists who were responsible might have ties to Greek anarchists responsible for last month’s letter bombings at Athens embassies.

On Nov. 2, suspected Greek anarchists sent 14 mail bombs to foreign embassies in Athens, as well as to Berlusconi, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Two of the devices exploded, causing no injuries.

A group called Conspiracy Nuclei of Fire claimed responsibility for the Greek blasts. It called on militants in Greece and other countries to step up their action, and Greek police noted Thursday that in the past, acts of “solidarity” have been carried out between Greek and Italian militant groups.

Though the bombings were similar, Greek police have pointed out that the attacks there seemed not intended to cause injury — and none was caused. In contrast, the Italian attacks seemed intent on at least seriously wounding whoever opened the envelopes, since at least one of the devices contained an iron bolt that shot into the chest a Chilean employee.

That man also risked losing the sight in his eye; both he and the Swiss victim had serious injuries to their hands and arms, hospital officials said.

___

Associated Press reporters Martino Villosio in Rome and Derek Gatopoulos in Athens contributed to this report.

Comments (7)

  • Internet AnchormanTV
    Posted on December 28, 2010 at 12:03am

    Like the package bombs this is another false flag terror plot to scare people into submitting their rights. Specifically in America being bodyscanned or having our credit card purchases tracked in real time. The sheep need to wake up to the fact that many of these so called attacks are manufactured so our government can expand the police state.
    Check out: http://www.internetanchorman.tv

    Report Post » www.InternetAnchorman.TV  
  • historypaper
    Posted on December 27, 2010 at 3:11pm

    The Greeks are coming to America, I think she has a web site?

    Report Post » historypaper  
  • SilentReader
    Posted on December 27, 2010 at 11:33am

    I wonder if Brennan and Napolitano are taking notes.

    Report Post » SilentReader  
  • Speak without Fear
    Posted on December 27, 2010 at 9:35am

    I am sure it would of never went off……..(EYEROLL)

    and NO NEED to notify anyone……just a little bomb……move along.

    Report Post »  
  • Dustyluv
    Posted on December 27, 2010 at 7:42am

    Someone tell Homeland Security so they will know. They seem to be out of the loop lately…

    Report Post »  
    • RepubliCorp
      Posted on December 27, 2010 at 8:03am

      You got that right…..they are too busy feeling up grandma at the airport

      Report Post » RepubliCorp  
    • snowleopard3200 {cat folk art}
      Posted on December 27, 2010 at 10:00am

      Out of the loop would only mildly put it. They could be giving a public safety (KGB style) notice on live TV while the FBI are busting a few hundred terrorists with bombs, nukes, tanks and the like and when asked about it, they would have no knowledge of any such events.

      Imagine the interview they would give if the 9/11 had happened today, Napoletano and them would stand in the wreckage and declare “Nothing has happened here to the best of our knowledge. Move along nothing for anyone to get excited about.”

      Report Post » Snowleopard {gallery of cat folks}  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In