Reversal: Obama Restarts Guantanamo Trials
- Posted on March 7, 2011 at 6:44pm by
Scott Baker
- Print »
- Email »
WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama reversed course Monday and ordered a resumption of military trials for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, making his once ironclad promise to close the isolated prison look even more distant.
Guantanamo has been a major political and national security headache for the president since he took office promising to close the prison within a year, a deadline that came and went without him ever setting a new one.
Obama made the change with clear reluctance, bowing to the reality that Congress’ vehement opposition to trying detainees on U.S. soil leaves them nowhere else to go. The president emphasized his preference for trials in federal civilian courts, and his administration blamed congressional meddling for closing off that avenue.
“I strongly believe that the American system of justice is a key part of our arsenal in the war against al-Qaida and its affiliates, and we will continue to draw on all aspects of our justice system—including (federal) courts—to ensure that our security and our values are strengthened,” Obama said in a statement.
“Going forward, all branches of government have a responsibility to come together to forge a strong and durable approach to defend our nation and the values that define who we are as a nation.”
The first Guantanamo trial likely to proceed under Obama’s new order would involve Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged mastermind of the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole. Al-Nashiri, a Saudi of Yemeni descent, has been imprisoned at Guantanamo since 2006.
Defense officials have said that of the around 170 detainees at Guantanamo, about 80 are expected to face trial by military commission.
On Monday, the White House reiterated that the administration remains committed to eventually closing Guantanamo—which is on a U.S. Navy base—and that Monday’s actions were in pursuit of that goal. But the outcome Obama wants seemed even more distant.
Critics of the military commission system, which was established specifically to deal with the detainees at Guantanamo, contend that suspects are not given some of the most basic protections afforded people prosecuted in American courts and that that serves as a recruitment tool for terrorists.
Obama’s administration has enacted some changes to the military commission system while aiming to close down Guantanamo.
More than two dozen detainees have been charged there, but the charges against a number of them were dismissed in the wake of Obama’s order in January 2009 to halt the commission process.
So far six detainees have been convicted and sentenced, including Ali Hamza al-Bahlul, Osama bin Laden’s media specialist who told jurors he had volunteered to be the 20th Sept. 11 hijacker. He is serving a life sentence at Guantanamo.
Meanwhile, the first Guantanamo detainee tried in civilian court—in New York—was convicted in November on just one of more than 280 charges that he took part in the al-Qaida bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa. That case ignited strident opposition to any further such trials.
Another case is that of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the professed mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, who had been slotted for trial in New York before Obama bowed to political resistance and blocked the Justice Department’s plans. With the military tribunals set to restart, it’s likely Mohammed will be put back in that system to face trial alongside other admitted 9/11 conspirators.
Under Obama’s direction Monday, Defense Secretary Robert Gates issued an order rescinding his January 2009 ban against bringing new cases against the terror suspects at the Cuba prison. Gates said the U.S. must maintain the option of prosecuting alleged terrorists in U.S. federal courts, but in his order Monday he also said the review of each detainee’s status had been completed and the commission process had been reformed to address legal challenges.
House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard “Buck” McKeon, R-Calif., said he was pleased with Obama’s decision to restart the military commissions. But he said the administration must work with Congress to create a trial system that will stand up to judicial review.
Monday’s announcement also included a process for periodically reviewing the status of detainees held at the prison. That’s an effort to resolve one of the central dilemmas at Guantanamo Bay: what to do when the government thinks a prisoner is too dangerous to be released but either can‘t prove it in court or doesn’t want to reveal national security secrets by trying to prosecute him? The answer, the White House said, is that the U.S. will hold those men indefinitely, without charges, but will review their cases periodically. However, if a review determines that someone should be released, there’s no requirement that he actually be freed.
That decision on such a process had been expected for some time and was roundly criticized by rights groups.
Gates’ order also does little to resolve the dilemma posed by many Yemeni prisoners who, for years, have been cleared for release. Their country is a hotbed of terrorism, and the U.S. does not trust the government to monitor former detainees. The order allows the U.S. to hold those men indefinitely, until the security situation in Yemen improves or the U.S. can find somewhere else to move them.
The administration also announced support for additional international agreements on humane treatment of detainees. The White House said that would underscore to the world its commitment to fair treatment and would help guard against the mistreatment of U.S. military personnel should they be captured.
Congress hardened its objections to trying detainees on U.S. soil by including language in legislation signed by Obama in January that would block the Defense Department from spending money to transfer Guantanamo prisoners to the U.S. for trial. The legislation also set up new rules for moving detainees elsewhere, and as a result Gates has told lawmakers that it has become very difficult for the government to release detainees to other countries because he now has to certify they will pose no danger. Officials have said that about one-quarter of those released so far have returned to battle.
The White House said Monday that it would continue to work to overturn those congressional prohibitions.



















Submitting your tip... please wait!
EqualJustice
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:37pmLooks like our liberals friends don’t have much to say on this? hahahahahaha kind of like the under 8% unemployment, ending the Patriot Act, bringing justice to the 9.11 TERRORISTS, moving the “torture” to Egypt, immigration reform and the lack of that FREE Health care… nothing seems to be working out, Obamabots? Promises, promises.
Report Post »dontbotherme
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 2:05pmGood. The war criminals at GTMO do not have the same rights as American Citizens because they are not citizens & have been captured in battle or as the result of attacks against us. They are not entitled to the rights of the Geneva Convention because they broke those requirements also. As shown in the above mentioned trial more than 280 charges were thrown out of the first trial in our court system. That worked real well, now didn’t it? Our Judicial system is so screwed up that there is no true Justice. Military Tribunals are the only way to get straight justice.
Report Post »doc glenn
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 12:47pmObamas writers are gearing up the teleprompter section on Gitmo talking points. Keep the press on other talking points that should have been taken care of in the BUSH Administration days instead of dealing with our country going down the crapper.
Report Post »powhatan
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 11:41amWell son of a gun…Bush was right….How about them apples…
Report Post »EqualJustice
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 11:02amWhat about Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the CONFESSED killer of almost 3,000 innocent Americans? How long will he live in Paradise without being brought to justice? WHY? Does anyone have an answer as to WHY this man is still breathing????
Report Post »tower7femacamp
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 9:43amSame old song and dance
Aren’t we innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty ?????
Report Post »randy
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 8:54amJust another lie from this pathetic POS
Report Post »GODSAMERICA
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 8:28amWell obama is getting his election conservatism back.
Report Post »avenger
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 6:14amwhoopee….just another meaningless gesture….
Report Post »Freetospeakurmind
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 3:08amYou won’t hear about this one on CNN or any of those lib news channels! It’s about time DC opened their eyes and realized what we need to do! We must do what we must do in order to protect our nation. No extreme is too extreme in my opinion! The terrorists will continue to bombard us until we prove to them they must stop or pay the price!
Report Post »Showtime
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:27amHow is Obama going to close Gitmo if detainees receive life sentences? Where will they be housed?
Report Post »Obama Bin Lying
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 8:07amWell for all the OBOTS and LibraTrolls out here who are keeping track of the Peace Prize Prez and his lies. This is just another check in the “I lied column”
Have you had enough of Hoax and Charade yet?
Report Post »tower7femacamp
Posted on March 8, 2011 at 9:41amGee he also believes in torture , and has continued both wars
Loves the Patriot act and Big wall st Bankers
that is Change you can Believe in
heads you win Tails I lose,
Dr. Quigley exposed their matrix of complete control over individuals and society:
It is increasingly clear that, in the twentieth century, the expert will replace … the democratic voter in control of the political system. Hopefully, the elements of choice and freedom may survive for the ordinary individual in that he may be free to make a choice between two opposing political groups (even if these groups have little policy choice within the parameters of policy established by the experts) and he may have the choice to switch his economic support from one large unit to another. But, in general, his freedom and choice will be controlled within very narrow alternatives by the fact that he will be numbered from birth and followed, as a number, through his educational training, his required military or other public service, his tax contributions, his health and medical requirements, and his final retirement and death benefits (Tragedy and Hope: 866).
Perhaps, this is the reason why a third party candidate has never won a presidential election in the history of the United States. Just as importantly, Dr. Quigley attested to the forces that have controlled and continue to control England and the United States:
Report Post »http://www.jonesreport.com/article/05_08/30quigley.html