Chilling Video Captures Crash, Screams From Kiddie-Train Derailment
- Posted on March 24, 2011 at 9:15am by
Jonathon M. Seidl
- Print »
- Email »
The sounds are chilling. Video shows children, enjoying a ride on a miniature train, suddenly thrown form the seats as the the train speeds out of control and derails at a South Carolina park. One child is dead and multiple more are injured as a result:
ABC News released audio of the subsequent 911 calls, which describe the horrible scene:
The man at the helm of the children’s train ride that crashed and killed a 6-year-old boy said Wednesday that the wreck hurt him emotionally and physically.
“I’m as much a victim here as anyone else,” said Matt Conrad, flanked by two attorneys, his right arm in a sling. “I’m suffering, too.”
Conrad, who had not spoken out publicly until the Greenville news conference, said he was unprepared for the onslaught of media attention he‘s received since the wreck Saturday at Spartanburg’s Cleveland Park. Benji Easler was killed and 27 other passengers injured when the nearly 60-year-old train derailed on a bridge.
Standing by statements he’d made in an online trains forum about repairs he made to the train and its tracks last summer, Conrad also said he had absolute confidence in both when he was driving the engine.
“They were safe, and that train stopped very nicely,” he said, of the brakes. “I’m always evaluating the track. … If I had felt anything, anything at all that would have told me there’s a problem, I would have stopped.”
Police said Tuesday that Conrad told an officer accompanying him to a hospital, “I was going too (expletive) fast.”
On Wednesday, Conrad’s attorneys said their client was in shock when he made that statement and now feels mechanical error caused the crash.
A day earlier, county parks officials disputed several of Conrad‘s online assertions well before the crash that the train involved in the wreck hadn’t run in years and that there had been “no appreciable” maintenance on the park’s tracks since 2002.
Spartanburg County parks spokeswoman Nisha Patel said the train was running during summer 2009, was shelved for refurbishment – done by Conrad – in 2010 and that there had been regular inspections to ensure safety of the tracks.
Authorities have not said what caused the crash and say their investigation is continuing. Witnesses have said the train sped up during its third lap around the circuit.
Visitation for the boy was planned Wednesday evening at Corinth Baptist Church in Gaffney, with a funeral planned for Thursday.
On Wednesday, one of the families injured in the crash filed a lawsuit, accusing state and county officials of negligence.
“I think the family is shocked by what happened and what they’ve learned over the past few days and feel like they are ready to bring a lawsuit to try to bring light to what has happened,” Spartanburg attorney Tom Killoren, who represents the family, said prior to the filing.
The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in circuit court in Spartanburg County, accuses the county, its parks commission and the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation of negligence in the crash.
Park employees should have warned passengers about potential dangers of the ride, while state officials should have properly ensured that it was safe before letting anyone on it, the lawsuit alleges.
Killoren represents Brooks Harris, who was with his wife and two children on the ride when it toppled off the bridge.
A spokeswoman for the county parks commission said she couldn’t comment on the lawsuit. A state labor department representative did not immediately return a message.
On Monday, state officials fired the inspector who approved the ride for operation. They said he admitted falsifying a report for an inspection done March 16.
Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation chief Catherine Templeton said Donnie Carrigan could not have tested the Spartanburg ride because a battery in the train was dead, making it inoperable. Templeton also said the department was reviewing other facilities inspected.




















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Comments (35)
raybojabo
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 5:20pmThe video plainly shows that the guy was going way too fast. Look at how the woman’s hair is blowing and the traincars are fishtailing. To also apply the brakes while going through a curve is the worst thing to do.because it increases the inertia at the top of the train throwing it off balance. It also sounds like the train did’nt have an operational governor, that in most cases is required on these types of rides.
Report Post »TammyChicago
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 4:49pmWhat a terrible burden to have to live with. It’s refreshing to see someone actually step
Report Post »up and take responsibility for his actions. However, you see how that changed once
his attorney became involved.
angelcat
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 3:42pmjust what does releasing this video accomplish other than providing pain to those involved? Can we only believe the kids were frightened if we hear the screams? Do we need to get our “tragedy rush”? I hope those involved don‘t watch this and don’t have to hear about it over and over from acquaintences and strangers who have? It seems to me this does nothing more than satisfy morbid curiousity. And before anyone asks, NO, I did NOT watch it. I already know this was a horrible tragedy and don’t need to hear screams to prove it.
Report Post »COFemale
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 3:03pmMay the boy who died rest in peace. As for the operator of the train, I think he nailed it on the first statement. He was going to fast. If reports were falsified, then he is responsible as well as the inspector who falsified the report.
Report Post »rightwingheroes
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 2:57pmThe driver and the safety inspector need to be put away in jail forever. The driver had the audacity to say that he was a victim too. Now a little boy is dead because of him. If it were my boy, he would have a lot more to worry about than a trial.
Report Post »Schteveo
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 2:56pmJoxercat,
people from the train said it LURCHED ahead, going too fast on the last circuit. Now the diver said that too. But that doesn’t mean driver error. Ever drive something and the brakes go out? If not, lucky you!!!
Those trains have a governor on them that keeps them below a certain speed. As a decent mechanic and industrial machinery type, I want to hear about that system before I start screaming for this guys head on a pike at the city gate.
This isn’t like your car where max speed is foot to the floor. It’s more like a school bus, the engine has a mechanical block or electrical block that limits the speed. Unfortunately, such things are easily defeated. BEFORE we start screaming driver error, let the professionals do their job.
Say a prater for all involved.
Report Post »joxercat
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:53pmI have been on these trains in the park in Kansas. You can tell this train was flying! I thought it was one of those kiddie roller coasters at first. This man made a bad judgement call and should have stuck to the slow speed! I am fairly certain this one will be driver error … not mechanical error. At least he seems to be remorseful. He killed a kid though he should do the time! Just like if he was driving a vehicle recklessly. It is the same! May God be with the families.
Report Post »Vanes
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:24pmGeez this is horrible. I don‘t care who’s at fault, my prayers are with those poor kids and the family of the little guy that didn’t make it. Tragic.
Report Post »teddrunk
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:20pmThis was Wisconsin’s Governor Walkers fault………somehow….
Report Post »gator-gal
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:15pmso sad…
Report Post »avgconservative
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:08pmWhen all mistakes, oversights, and inexperience line up at just the right moment… we are reminded that we have no promise of even the next breath. The most dangerous part about living, is living.
Report Post »lampshade
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:05pmI’m all for forgiving people but the person responsible for this accident should have to think about what he did for a while and feel some pain before forgiveness comes.
Report Post »ADNIL
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:01pmNo need to take responsibility for yourself. If something goes wrong, SUE. That’s what we used to call the “Disneyland mentality” (my apologies to Walt). See it all the time, everywhere. Sooooo sorry about the child and feel terrible for his parents, just the same. It won’t bring the boy back.
I used to work at the state fair putting in a flower show during the same time the carnival rides were being set up. When I saw how that went, I would not get on one again nor even stand close.
Report Post »integrican
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 11:27amFalsified inspection reports? Inexperienced driver? Greedy owner/manager? = DISASTER!!!!
Remember this when you go to these small privately owned parks and zoos. Those traveling carnivals with the “rides” are notorious for having marginal safety records as well. Remember this, when you bring your kids to these places to have some FUN.
R.I.P. young fella!!!!!
Report Post »Gypsy123
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 11:20amForgiveness how powerful!
Report Post »Browncoat359
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 11:18amOn Sunday, August 11, 1996, 4-year-old Emily Hunt was paralyzed from the chest down and her 57-year-old grandmother, Nancy Jones, was killed after a miniature train ride derailed and overturned as it approached a curve. The two victims were crushed under the weight of the cars. Upon investigation, the train was traveling much faster than its design speed of 12 miles per hour (19 km/h).
The ride operator claimed to have applied the brakes as the train neared the curve, but it was discovered that many of the ride’s brakes were either broken, missing, or not connected, and that most of the anti-derailment devices were missing. The speedometer was broken, along with the governor, which limits the speed of the train. The track was littered with broken ride parts.
The ride passed two state inspections in the 3-month period prior to the accident, before the safety inspector admitted that he was not qualified to inspect amusement rides. A state review of the park’s own records showed that the train had derailed 79 times in the 2 months prior to the accident, and as many as fifteen times in a single day.
The owners of Old Indiana Fun Park admitted negligence, but denied knowing anything about the condition of the ride prior to the accident.
Indiana at that time had two inspectors for the entire state and they were trained to be elevator inspectors,not amusement ride inspectors,they were stretched way thin and so the inspections were often done by local authorities that were even LESS qualified.
Sounds like the park is partly responsible in this case too. Lying about inspections,and then this ride operator having said they were going to (bleep) fast. Manslaughter charges would be appropriate if he was speeding. Y a just can‘t screw around with people’s lives,ESPECIALLY kids.
Report Post »navychick
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 11:07amI am sorry for the family’s loss. On the other hand you always take chances when you get on those rides and you as the parent have to make a choice.
Report Post »red_white_blue2
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 11:06amYes it is interesting that some posts don’t apply. May that child rest in peace. May the family someday find comfort in God. God Bless the survivors!
Report Post »Sister_Mary
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:48amWow the first lawsuti didn’t take long … and I love the people theyare suing … looks like a payout to me …
Report Post »Progessives=Fail
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:57amI guess they feel that life is 100% safe and when something goes wrong they deserve a payout. It’s a horrible tragedy but accidents do happen in this world, life is not safe.
Report Post »bobodu
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 11:24amNegligence is NOT an accident!!
Report Post »If I lied and told you that I had repaired the brakes on your car, then your Daughter was killed when the brakes failed….could I say it was just an “accident”?
Joseff
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:38amInteresting that half the posts so far have nothing to do with this story.
Joe
Report Post »Progessives=Fail
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:50amfunny, your post also has nothing to do with the story.
Sad story, you never know what can happen.
Report Post »moreteaplease
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:18amOn Wednesday, Conrad’s attorneys said their client was in shock when he made that statement and now feels mechanical error caused the crash.
Report Post »****************************************************
Of course.
Anonymous T. Irrelevant
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:40amMechanical error from going too fast. Why push it, by going faster, when small children are at risk? Not smart.
Report Post »TumbleBumble
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:31pmWhile watching the video, you can tell the train was going at a real fast pace. I know I’ve never been on one of these rides where the operator opened up like that. He can say what he wants now, but it is blatantly obvious he was going way too fast.
Report Post »reckless
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:16amThis is the same old crap when it comes to Government liability, there is never any one individual responsible. Gov’t employees are always pointing fingers at someone else or using regulations and statutes to hide behind.
Report Post »All Government from the local / state / federal has gotten out of control. It’s about time to tear it all down and start over from scratch, there is too little good that comes from Government to justify its continuation. Back to Constitutional basics.
RightUnite
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:15amNow, this is really very sad….
Report Post »run42k
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:07amMr. Gambini, what is a ‘yewt’? Did you just say, “The two yewts?”
Sorry, I am already picturing a trial here.
Report Post »walkwithme1966
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:18amTerrible accident – God be with these children and their families!! http://wp.me/pYLB7-MH
Report Post »LadyIzShy
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:02amcover your butt when the lawyer comes around.. this makes me sick
Report Post »Kurty C Wipe
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:13amAt least we know where John Edwards can be found.
Report Post »cessna152
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:56amCancel all kiddie rides and we need a panel and billions of dollars to remedy this crisis …which is Bush’s fault!
Report Post »Flippo789
Posted on March 24, 2011 at 5:32pmI happen to live in this area and it has been all over the news. It turns out the the city is getting sued because of this accident (as expected). But the interesting part is that they are not getting sued by the family of the young boy who died, or the family of the kids with broken limbs, but by a family who’s kids only got minor scratches.
At this moment all of the other families are being very forgiving about everything. They are insisting that the cause of the accident is found and that the appropriate measures are taken, but they are being extremely understanding and forgiving about the situation.
I have been stunned as to how well everyone is handling the situation. It really shows a lot of character on the part of these families.
Report Post »