World

Toddler Girl Found Alive in Rubble of China Train Crash

BEIJING (AP) — A toddler was rescued about 21 hours after a crash involving two high-speed trains in eastern China killed at least 43 people and injured more than 200 others, state media reported Sunday.

Xinhua News Agency said the unconscious child was found early Sunday evening while rescuers were clearing one of the train cars just as the cleanup efforts were almost completed. It cited an unnamed firefighter.

“When we found him, he could still move his hands,” Xinhua quoted the firefighter as saying.

China Central Television first reported that the toddler was a boy, but later said a 4-year-old girl.

The toddler was taken to the hospital and no other details were provided.

A bullet train was traveling south from the Zhejiang provincial capital of Hangzhou on Saturday evening when it lost power in a lightning strike and stalled, before being hit from behind by the second train in Wenzhou city.

Eight more bodies were recovered Sunday from damaged train cars, bringing the death toll to 43, Xinhua said. Two foreigners were among the dead but their nationalities were unclear, said an official surnamed Wang in the Zhejiang provincial emergency office. A total of 211 people were injured, Xinhua said.

The first four cars of the moving train fell about 65 to 100 feet (20 to 30 meters) off the viaduct onto the ground below. One carriage ended up in a vertical position, leaning against the viaduct.

The Ministry of Railways said in a statement that the first four cars of the moving train and the last two of the stalled train derailed.

Three railway officials were fired after the crash and would be subject to investigation, Xinhua quoted the ministry as saying. They were identified as Long Jing, head of the Shanghai Railway Bureau; Li Jia, head of the Shanghai railway bureau’s committee of the Communist Party of China; and deputy chief of the bureau, He Shengli.

It was the first derailment on China’s high-speed rail network since the country launched bullet trains with a top speed of 155 miles (250 kilometers) per hour in 2007, the China Daily reported.

It is an embarrassment for China, which plans to massively expand its bullet train network to link its far-flung regions and show off its rising wealth and technological prowess. It is also trying to sell its trains to Latin America and the Middle East.

Last month, it launched to great fanfare the Beijing-to-Shanghai high-speed line, where trains travel at a maximum speed of 186 miles (300 kilometers) per hour. The speed was cut from the originally planned 217 mph (350 kph) after questions were raised about safety.

In less than four weeks of operation, power outages and other malfunctions have plagued the showcase 820-mile (1,318-kilometer) line. The Railways Ministry has apologized for the problems and said that summer thunderstorms and winds were the cause in some cases.

The second train involved in the crash came from Beijing and both trains were destined for Fuzhou in eastern Fujian province. Wang, who only gave his surname, as is common with Chinese officials, said it was unclear how long the first train had sat on the track before being struck. State broadcaster CCTV said there were more than 900 passengers on the train that stalled, and more than 500 passengers on the train that hit it.

Early Sunday, Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao called for an all-out effort to rescue passengers still trapped in the wreckage hours after the collision.

More than 500 residents had given blood by 9 a.m. Sunday after appeals from the local blood bank, which said many of the injured needed transfusions, CCTV reported.

It was China’s worst train accident since April 2008, when a train traveling from Beijing to the eastern coastal city of Qingdao derailed and crashed into another train, leaving 72 dead and another 416 injured.

Comments (13)

  • Strosity
    Posted on July 25, 2011 at 4:59pm

    Of course, being China, the government was probably saddened to learn that it was in fact a girl that survived rather than a boy.

    Report Post » Strosity  
  • 2012 Change
    Posted on July 25, 2011 at 12:10am

    God is good all the time!

    Report Post »  
  • dontbotherme
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 6:12pm

    This was truly a miracle. Thank God!

    Report Post »  
  • abbygirl1994
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 5:42pm

    A miracle indeed!

    Report Post » abbygirl1994  
  • FoundersKeeperUSA
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 5:20pm

    This is the way our cold war enemy and biggest threat to us operates. They pump themselves like the are the greatest nation in the world. Then when the have a huge problem, they censor the news and release something like this. Dont worry about our rail design or the hundreds who died. Look over here a little girl baby survived. When it comes to these Commies you cant trust anything they put out. All of there tech advances are stole from us. Make know mistake about it the are gearing up for a conflict with us while Obozo is trying to cut out defense budget. The only reason the would be building there war machine up so quick and so much is to prepare for war with us. Like i said we are already in a cold war with them right now. They cyber attack us mutiple times daily. We can not let Obozo cut our defense spending period. The chinese look at us as a joke because of him.

    Report Post » FoundersKeeperUSA  
  • babylonvi
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 4:43pm

    Apparently the new “Wonder of the Modern World” does not have a monitoring and control system so a central control knows the position and status of every train? Very scary. And they are thinking of using Chinese rail designs and contractors for American high speed rail? Double scary.

    Report Post » babylonvi  
  • colonial10
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 3:23pm

    I wonder if this will change President Obama’s push towards the bullet train deal or not? God bless the world!

    Report Post » colonial10  
    • 65Mustang
      Posted on July 24, 2011 at 4:32pm

      If a bullet train system were ever built in this country, would the system continue to be in use if there where ever a wreck. After all, he shut down off-shore drilling because of the BP oil disaster in the Gulf. The oil companies moved the oil rigs and with it all the jobs because Obama thought oil spills were a danger to the environment.

      Report Post »  
  • poppinbeaners
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 3:18pm

    Very sorry to hear of this crash. I will pray for all of them and hope the victims see things positively and understand just how much worse it all could have been. Here, the libs would be filing lawsuits first thing in the morning, and any funeral arrangements would be left as an afterthought.

    Report Post » poppinbeaners  
  • junior1971
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 3:11pm

    This is GODS way of showing us that miracles do happen. I love the fact that this child is a girl. There are too few girls in china and we all know why.

    Report Post » junior1971  
  • CrackersSmurf
    Posted on July 24, 2011 at 2:56pm

    It’s good to see you can have daughters in China again…I was beginning to question the whole country…

    Report Post »  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In