U.S. Intelligence Admits ‘Dry Run’ Parcel Bomb Discovered in September
- Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:08pm by
Meredith Jessup
- Print »
- Email »
U.S. intelligence officials were increasingly worried about a possible al Qaeda attack on the homeland after they intercepted what they now believe were “dry run” shipments from Yemen to Chicago in mid-September, ABC News reports. This early test for a parcel bomb attack reportedly involved “a carton of household goods including books, religious literature, and a computer disk, but no explosives.” And like last week’s discovery, the September “dry run” shipment had been sent from Yemen to an address in Chicago by “someone with ties to al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.”
One intelligence official told confirmed U.S. suspicions and speculated that the terrorists initially mailed the package to try and track “how long it took and whether there would be any problems for the package getting through the system.”
Senior administration officials told ABC News that, after the September shipment was discovered, U.S. intelligence agencies had specific concerns about the Yemen-based group’s interest in Chicago, noting not only the destination of the September shipment, but also a photograph of the Chicago skyline in a magazine recently published by the terror group’s propaganda arm.
US intelligence “intercepted the packages in transit,” the senior intelligence official said, searched them, and then allowed them to continue to Chicago.
“The dry run is always important to al Qaeda,” said Dick Clarke, a former White House counterterrorism official and now an ABC News consultant. “In this case they wanted to follow the packages using the tracking system to know exactly when they got to a point, how long the timer had to be set for, so the bomb would go off at the right point, which presumably was over Chicago.”
There is some speculation that the terrorists were targeting at least one cargo flight in their plot in an attempt to abruptly halt all cargo traffic. “If one cargo plane is taken down by a bomb,” said Brad Garrett, an ABC News consultant and former FBI agent, “you could literally shut down cargo transport across the world.”



















Submitting your tip... please wait!
zagfan
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 1:22pmSo if September was a dry run, what does this make it? I am sure they aren’t through with any of this and will just up the bombs they ship hoping for one to get through. We are being attacked from all sides!
Report Post »LadyIzShy
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 8:09amI am sorry but am the only person that thinks they just mail things from another country? I get why they picked Chicago, because it would cause fear AND send a message to the president… I am worried that with the Christmas mailing season they will get something through and try to STOP Christmas shopping and shipping.. watch them VERY closely those in the know please..
VOTE today
Report Post »takemout
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 7:20amAnother failed October surprise thinking that we are Spain.
Report Post »Ruler4You
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 5:27amOh, sure. Did it come with an explanation note? Just one more excuse for institutionalized government failure.
Report Post »dizzyinthedark
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 4:53amIt’s part of the muslim culture/ideology to let their brothers in on where, when and how an attack will be subverted. This is why it‘s so important for them to be in places of importance in government and defense departments using the term ’religious belief’ as their shield to stand behind and we allow it to happen because we are too spineless due to our PC! Way to let out our tactics Barry and you too Lame Stream Media.
Report Post »nanoflex
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 2:40amU.S. intelligence agencies = Oxymoron
Report Post »neverending
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 11:50pmWe all know its coming sooner or later – not if but when!!!!
Report Post »joseph Fawcett
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 11:50pmI think Obama should go to Yemen and apologize to them in person for the United states because in his eyes we are a terrible country and he wants to make peace with the people who attacks us.
http://www.josephfawcettart.com western artist
Report Post »fatherq
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:59pmWhat’s sad is this president and his administration refuse to even acknowledge that people are still trying to destroy us and that they are mostly muslim. This president spends more time on trying to defend the majority of muslims and not enough time on defending America. If we define what “extreme muslim beliefs” are and we can agree that those kind of muslims are our enemy than we may make progress. There is a major difference between what american values represent and what “extreme muslim views” are. We need to openly say “all extreme muslims are our enemy including extreme American muslim views that represent killing people because of different views”. Anyone that is an extreme muslim with the view point that other people should be targeted for killing because of a difference in views or values should be our enemy and should be treated as an enemy combatant.
Report Post »StMichelob
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 1:19amAnd on THAT note, just imagine if Gore had actually won in 2000….what post-9-11 woulda been like…
Report Post »roberja
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:39pmWhy is this being released? Some things should not be shared.
Report Post »PeachyinGA
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 11:14pmTotally agree! Every time we analyze a terrorist‘s explosive and broadcast results on how it did or didn’t get through security and then show a demonstration on the damage it ‘could’ have inflicted on us, we are just helping the terrorists with their research. What ever happened to ‘need to know basis’?
Report Post »silveracer44
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:31pmWTC Building 7. Just sayin’.
Report Post »shorthanded12
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 1:13pmheres what you should have said, Obama, Napalotano, Holder, Clinton, Pelosi All have undermined our national security. JUST SAYIN………………..and for your WTC 7 comment…sounds like a Van Jones recording.
Report Post »cheezwhiz
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:23pmAnd like last week’s discovery, the September “dry run” shipment had been sent from Yemen to an address in Chicago by “someone with ties to al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.”
—————————–
Just a brother helping a brother out ….when his poll numbers are going down down down
Report Post »snowleopard3200 {mix art}
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 6:37amWith Mr Obama and the Progressives all I care about to begin with is that they go Out, out, out… and stay away, away, away…
Report Post »PeachyinGA
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:21pmAren‘t there supposed be 2 dozen more of the ’live‘ packages we haven’t tracked down? Are we going to be worrying about crowded airports on Thanksgiving Day?
Report Post »poverty.sucks
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:20pmWe don’t need to hear about it, just eliminate the Islamic muslim extremist. All of them.
Report Post »MidAmerican
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:20pmOnly ineptness by the Christmas bomber and the Times Square bomber saved the day. Both eluded the system and only materials failure stopped a great loss of life. This latest round of possible fizzles and miraculous saves comes very close to Election Day methinks.
Report Post »cheezwhiz
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:18pmThis early test for a parcel bomb attack reportedly involved “a carton of household goods including books, religious literature, and a computer disk, but no explosives.”
———————————–
Hey, you forgot a bottle of pepto taped to a wrist-watch !
Report Post »snowleopard3200 {mix art}
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:36pmYes, I do remeber this, and something else came to mind. The failed bomber in time square not too long ago. That failed if I remember right as he messed the detonator up and the mix for the explosive as well. Could this also have been a single run to see how the police and such would react to them after a near-successful attack occured.
A two stage assault, one the smaller initial explosion goes off, and when the first responders come on the scene, then one or more other explosions go off. Not likely I will admit, yet possible enough to be considered.
Report Post »Its Gonna Getcha
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:18pmWhy Chicago?
Report Post »snowleopard3200 {mix art}
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:24pmMost likely its Mr Obamas home stomping grounds, or they simply firgure New York City has already been hit so they need another place to build a culture center – victory mosque – take over the lands headquarters.
Report Post »Its Gonna Getcha
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 12:07amAnd then I have to ask, why a Jewish Mosque?
Is this a repeat of an extremist message that Obama will fail because of his “treatment” of the Jews?
As for the election, would a successful terrorist attempt stop it? Are the extremists putting forth, and Washinton compliant in, the killing two birds with one stone, simultaneously delivering two opposing messages, much like the now-numbing style of communication Washington wants us to get used to?
Just questions seeking partnerships with answers.
Report Post »v.o.t.e.
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 9:50amfirst of all obamarama was counting on this working pre election to energize his base— why chicago— his senate seat would have been saved — why a jewish center– because it would bring back the jewish vote to dems which they are losing– i’m obviously very cynical because we are dealing with radicals that firmly believe the ends justifies the means
Report Post »TruthTalker
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:13pmI cannot believe they call these freedom fighters “Terrorist”. The must not have ran this by Obama….
Report Post »RightPolitically
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:13pmThanks for the “heads-up” Obama Administration!
Report Post »snowleopard3200 {mix art}
Posted on November 1, 2010 at 10:22pmSounds like Mr Obama and several administration staffers are collectively trying to cover their own tails for this near fiasco. Also, thanks to the release of the hows the terrorists did it, now they will find newer ways to strike, and once again if we just do not luck out – like Mr Obama did here – we will be in for a series of nasty suprises.
Report Post »TNT1
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 12:47amWatch the other hand
Report Post »TRUTHSEEKINGAL
Posted on November 2, 2010 at 6:09amRemember O dear Leader, affirmed that AMERICA COULD ABSORB ANOTHER 911!!
Report Post »