World

Underwear Bomber Starts Trial With Outburst: Awlaki ‘Still Alive’ and U.S. is ‘The Cancer’

(The Blaze/AP) — A Nigerian man accused of trying to bring down an international jetliner with a bomb in his underwear on Christmas Day 2009, walked into the start of his federal trial Tuesday and declared that a radical Islamic cleric killed by the U.S. military is alive.

Underwear Bomber Starts Trial With Outburst

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab’s outburst came as jury selection got under way for his federal terror trial in Detroit, where the 24-year-old is acting as his own attorney and has previously told reporters they should stop reporting that Osama bin Laden was dead.

“Anwar is alive,” Abdulmutallab said Tuesday, referring to American-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed last week by a joint CIA-U.S. military air strike in Yemen.

“The mujahadeen will wipe out the U.S. – the cancer U.S.,” he added.

Abdulmutallab, a well-educated Nigerian from an upper-class family, was directed by al-Awlaki and wanted to become a martyr when he boarded Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in Amsterdam on Christmas 2009, according to the government.

Abdulmutallab, who complained loudly at a previous hearing about having to wear prison clothes, came into the courtroom Tuesday wearing an oversized prison T-shirt. U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds called a brief recess to allow him to change into clothes more appropriate for court, after acknowledging and denying his apparent request to wear a “Yemeni belt with a dagger.”

Abdulmutallab later wore a long robe with a dark pinstriped suit coat over it, as well as a black skull cap.

The judge has denied several of Abdulmutallab’s requests for the trial, including that the case be judged under Islamic law.

Underwear Bomber Starts Trial With Outburst

Abdulmutallab in Court (Carole Kabrin)

Abdulmutallab has pleaded not guilty to eight charges, including conspiracy to commit terrorism and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. The government says he wanted to blow up the plane by detonating chemicals in his underwear, just seven minutes before the jet carrying 279 passengers and a crew of 11 was to land at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

But the bomb didn’t work, and passengers assisted by crew members saw flames and pounced on Abdulmutallab.

The failed suicide attack, the first act of terrorism in the U.S. during the Obama administration, revealed the rise of a dangerous al-Qaida affiliate and al-Awlaki’s growing influence.

The government says Abdulmutallab willingly explained the plot twice, first to U.S. border officers who took him off the plane and then in more detail to FBI agents who interviewed him at a hospital for 50 minutes, following treatment for serious burns to his groin.

Abdulmutallab told authorities he trained in Yemen, home base for Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. He said he was influenced by al-Awlaki, who was killed Friday by an air strike that President Barack Obama called a “major blow” to al-Qaida’s most dangerous franchise.

Following the strike, a U.S. official outlined new details of al-Awlaki’s involvement against the U.S., including Abdulmutallab’s alleged mission. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters, said al-Awlaki specifically directed Abdulmutallab to detonate an explosive device over U.S. airspace to maximize casualties.

Osama bin Laden appeared in a video declaring Abdulmutallab a “hero.” Abdulmutallab also has been lauded by al-Qaida’s English-language Web magazine Inspire, whose editor was killed along with al-Awlaki.

After the outburst about al-Awlaki and flap over Abdulmutallab’s clothes, jury selection got under way in earnest, with most questioning done by the judge and attorney Anthony Chambers, who has been appointed to assist Abdulmutallab.

Abdulmutallab, who had suggested he would interview some prospective jurors and could give his own opening statement, calmly questioned one woman who indicated she had concerns about retaliation for serving on the jury.

The woman remained in the jury pool, but several others were immediately dismissed after saying they could not be impartial. AP video on the start of Abdulmutallab’s trial:

Comments (32)

  • V-MAN MACE
    Posted on October 6, 2011 at 9:44am

    The State Department walked Mutallab onto the plane hand in hand AFTER the airline refused to board him because he flagged for terror.

    Report Post » V-MAN MACE  
  • Viper1
    Posted on October 5, 2011 at 3:20pm

    Since this idiot wanted to blow his balls off I suggest that we let him have his way. Strap an American hand grenade between his legs and pull the pin. If nothing happens after five seconds we should let him go. It is hard to cure stupidity.

    Report Post »  
  • Scruff
    Posted on October 5, 2011 at 12:00pm

    Eunuch-bomber

    Report Post » Scruff  
  • LorenOK
    Posted on October 5, 2011 at 11:06am

    Unfortunately, this terrorist plot is still proceeding according to plan. Think about it. It was hatched when Eric Holder decided on civilian trials for terrorists. In response, al-Qaeda thought, “How do we turn a courtroom into a propaganda showpiece?” A terrorist would have to be captured, say his spiel in court and, at the end of the day, walk free. But what would a plot like that require?
    First, a purposely failed terrorist attempt with a highly educated terrorist (like Umar) would have to be staged. This terrorist would have to be captured alive. Second, a venue was needed that would assure at least 1 or 2 Muslims on the jury. Detroit has the highest Muslim population in the country, so it became the target. Third, they would have to convince that same Muslim community that they were never intended as the target — their infidel Christians neighbors were. Hold the attack on Christmas Day to prove the point.
    Next, they must pressure the Muslim jurors who are selected, maybe by threatening their families or something — another very unfortunate phase which may be ongoing even now. Maybe Eric Holder can finally do something right and look into that before its too late.

    Report Post »  
  • jessieH
    Posted on October 5, 2011 at 10:43am

    Give this fool his underwear back and let him blow his brains out.

    Report Post »  
  • Salamander
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:32pm

    Hey, we are all lucky this guy didn’t fart, while his pants were ablaze! They should have given him a hammer–if he whacked it (no pun intended) while it was burning, maybe it would have gone — boom! Then he wouldn’t be on trial, although a lot of others would have lost their lives! Gee, did his pants on fire act really barbecue his, uh, essentials?

    Report Post »  
    • Secret Squirrel
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 11:45pm

      .
      So, why is this guy still alive?
      I would hope the next group of passengers will take care of business
      when some loon tries to blow their plane out of the sky.

      “This just in: A Nigerian man tried to set off a device in his pants, and was pummeled by the passengers.
      Authorities are trying to identify the remains.”

      Report Post » Secret Squirrel  
    • coindexter
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 11:45pm

      finally…someone we can trust who isn’t afraid to tell the dopes in the USA that awalaki is still alive and the whole thing was a scam. bin laden is alive as well. the O administration and the defense dept. are pulling off one of the biggest B>S> scams in world history. almost everything you hear is a lie. tax the poor.

      Report Post »  
    • 1389AD
      Posted on October 5, 2011 at 9:26am

      Why we allow Muslims to board planes headed toward the US, or to come here by any means, is beyond me.

      Report Post »  
  • TouchStoneMT
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:22pm

    Set his crotch on fire with a dud bomb in his skivvies?
    On Christmas Eve?

    ….c’mon, everybody:
    “CHESTNUTS ROASTING ON AN OPEN FIRE………….”

    Report Post » TouchStoneMT  
  • Hickory
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:16pm

    One bullet……………..

    Report Post » Hickory  
  • BOMUSTGO
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 9:45pm

    He who is his own Attorney has a fool for a lawyer!

    Report Post » BOMUSTGO  
    • Salamander
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:37pm

      He who tries to blow himself up in the name of Allah, is fool for his religious advisor! Egad, can you imagine going to church on Sunday and having your minister call you aside for ‘a mission’, then loading your shorts with explosives, handing you a detonator, and giving you money for the next flight to Sanaa? Where do these guys come from? How to they get there? I realize they don‘t ’get much’, but is it really worth it blowing one‘s ass off the planet in order to ’maybe’ having a go at 72 virgins? What’s to keep the powers that be from providing 72 virgin pigs–they didn‘t say they’d be ‘local girls’!

      Report Post »  
  • Peckerwood
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 9:38pm

    He will go to the promised land someday known as the underwear man. How fitting.

    Report Post »  
    • Salamander
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:39pm

      Hey, a new line of clothing! Shorts that fizz! Hot stuff!

      Report Post »  
  • Patriot Z
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 9:31pm

    ok, then with that lil outburst, trials over, guilty, sentence death….and i WILL make his death creative…

    Report Post » Patriot Z  
    • BOMUSTGO
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 9:48pm

      Execute him with some real working Fruit-of-Kaboom underwear! Or some Thunderoo’s!!

      Report Post » BOMUSTGO  
  • kindling
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 9:29pm

    These people have little hope or truth and know only what their leaders tell them. Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do. Pray they come in contact with the Spirit and their hearts are changed.

    Report Post » kindling  
  • TH30PH1LUS
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 8:36pm

    “underwear bomber” spoof musical begins @ 2:39 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec7NrZm1ZDE

    Report Post » TH30PH1LUS  
  • dawghowse
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 8:20pm

    Don’t waste bullets, hang the bastard!

    Report Post » dawghowse  
  • hemipuma
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 8:19pm

    This idiot is NOT a U.S. citizen! He doesn’t derserve a trial!

    Report Post » hemipuma  
    • Salamander
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:41pm

      Interesting point! Is bombing an aircraft of another nationality a crime, or an act of war? We should probably save our courts for crimes and let our military take care of war criminals–you know, 3 squares a day, exercise room, prayer rug, special diet, in a tropical paradise like Guantanamo!

      Report Post »  
  • Donald
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 6:40pm

    Love Wins

    Report Post » Donald  
  • drago
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 4:59pm

    He is nothing that a 50 cent bullet wouldnt cure……..

    Report Post »  
    • chazman
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 6:33pm

      … he should be thinking about solitary confinement for the rest of his life, because he will never be let loose in population. He wouldn’t last five minutes …

      Report Post »  
    • ACLUHater
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 6:45pm

      He would look good in a snake pit – for a couple of weeks…

      Report Post »  
    • edpa777
      Posted on October 4, 2011 at 7:53pm

      Yeah, a frozen pork bullet.

      Report Post »  
  • LIBSALWAYSLIE
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 4:55pm

    Goodness gracious great balls of fire..

    Report Post » LIBSALWAYSLIE  
  • EqualJustice
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 4:54pm

    ps; I thought of something else. Just in case he might READ THIS.. YOU ARE AN IDIOT and ALLAH has 17 virgins for you 8 little boys and 9 gun toting Nuns! . so AKBAR that!

    Report Post » EqualJustice  
  • EqualJustice
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 4:46pm

    Oh sure, give the idiot a PLATFORM to spew his Muslim garbage. Thank GOD he did not succeed! PS: At least he can never be fruitful and multiply! ;)

    Report Post » EqualJustice  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In