Update: SWAT Team Arrests Man in Infamous Aussie ‘Collar Bomb’ Case
- Posted on August 16, 2011 at 6:56am by
Billy Hallowell
- Print »
- Email »
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (The Blaze/AP) — An FBI SWAT team descended on a quiet Louisville suburb to arrest a man authorities say broke into a family‘s home in Australia and chained a fake bomb to a teenage woman’s neck as part of an extortion ploy. Now, the young girl, who captured international headlines during her ordeal, may be able to rest a bit easier.
Paul “Doug” Peters, 50, faces charges in Australia that include kidnapping and breaking and entering, said Luke Moore of the New South Wales Police. Peters’ initial court appearance was set for Tuesday morning in Louisville and the extradition process will take about two months, authorities said.
His capture comes nearly two weeks after 18-year-old Madeleine Pulver was attacked in the wealthy Sydney suburb of Mosman. She was alone studying for exams when a masked man broke into the house in the middle of the day, chained a device that looked like a bomb to her and left a note with demands before leaving.
Bomb technicians, negotiators and detectives rushed to the scene. Neighboring homes were evacuated, streets were closed and medical and fire crews waited nearby. Pulver spent 10 terrifying hours chained to the device before the bomb squad was able to free her. She was not hurt, and the device was later found to contain no explosives. Australia’s prime minister said the event resembled “a Hollywood script.”
Police say a note had been attached to the device, but they haven’t released details of what it said.
Moore flew from Sydney to Louisville for the arrest, but would not go into detail about what led police to Peters.
“There was a range of pieces of evidence that led us to identify this suspect,” he said at a news conference at FBI offices in Louisville.
Peters is an Australian citizen but has lived in the U.S., including Kentucky.
The Pulvers were relieved to hear of the arrest. William Pulver, CEO of an information technology company, described his daughter as “a bright, happy young woman who for reasons we still don’t understand had her life turned upside down going through this dreadful experience.”
“These past two weeks have been a very difficult time for us and we are hopeful that this development marks the beginning of the end of this traumatic ordeal for our family,” William Pulver told reporters in Sydney, his wife Belinda at his side.
The normally tranquil subdivision of La Grange, about 30 miles northeast of Louisville, was taken aback at the sight of armed SWAT members descending on their neighborhood.

Paul "Doug" Peters
A neighbor who refused to give his name told The Associated Press that his two daughters were at home doing homework when the SWAT team “came in heavy and hard” to the house next door.
“We had guys with machine guns in our back yard,” he said.
No shots were fired and no sirens sounded, he said.
He and his wife estimated that Doug Peters had probably spent about six months out of the last two years at the house. They didn’t know him or his ex-wife very well but that there were no problems and they were both congenial. Peters had been involved in various businesses, but authorities would not elaborate on what they were.
An FBI investigator combed through items on shelves Monday night in the neat three-car garage of the five-bedroom, two-story home that’s on the market for $400,000, and there is no indication Peters’ ex-wife was involved in the case, Moore said. She was not home when her ex-husband was arrested.
Authorities are still investigating why the suspect targeted the young woman, Moore said.
“This has been a baffling and frightening experience,” said William Pulver. “It has tested us all.”



















Submitting your tip... please wait!
Rev.sLeezy
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 6:57pmHoly Smokes. If this guy is found guilty lockem up and forget him. I’ll support the SWAT take down in this case.
Report Post »CandiRenee
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 1:11pmThis is awful! At least they caught him thank goodness. We saw this on our local morning news show (we live in the Louisville, KY TV viewing area). He was staying with his ex-wife who lived just outside of Louisville.
Report Post »Complaint against Austrailian Bomb Suspect Unsealed
WLKY Channel 32 Louisville, KY
http://www.wlky.com/news/28881086/detail.html
Secret Squirrel
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 2:34pm.
Report Post »If true,
“Good job mates, glad we could help!”
Mil-Dot
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 9:34amI wonder if the chick was fat and ugly would they be all over it like that. But, since she is kind of a babe, they are all over it. lol
Report Post »GO-FOR-LIBERTY
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 8:21amThe face of evil.
Report Post »walkwithme1966
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 9:38amWow – sometimes people do unimaginable things – can you imagine having a bomb (or what you thought was bomb) attached to you – that girl will need therapy for quite sometime to get over that. Remember the pizza delivery guy in the states that had a bomb attached to him and went into a bank with a note to put money in a sack. I think he eventually blew up!! http://wp.me/pYLB7-1ou
Report Post »Alan
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 7:39amAussies done good
Report Post »biohazard23
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 7:31amVegemite will make a person do strange things, I suppose.
Report Post »