US

‘You Deserve to Die’: Florida Man Issued George Zimmerman’s Old Cell Number

Junior Alexander Guy purchased a new T-Mobile phone last month and received this number 407-435-2400. Turns out, a lot of people had his number already and were calling him with messages like “You Murderer” and “You deserve to die.”

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Guy had been issued the number previously held by George Zimmerman — the man who shot Trayvon Martin in February. The Sentinel reports it only took the 49-year-old man a day to figure out whose number he had.

(Related: See other Blaze stories about the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case)

He allegedly received upwards of 70 threatening messages and is now seeking compensation from T-Mobile.

Here’s more from the Sentinel:

He got the phone May 7. On May 16, he turned the phone over to Orlando lawyer Robert Trimble. Since then, the phone has been in Trimble’s safe.

The lawyer has asked T-Mobile to pay damages. He would not say how much.

T-Mobile has said no, according to its top lawyer, Aram Meade.

“They‘re not looking to provide my client any compensation for what they’ve exposed him to,” Trimble complained.

[...]

“I’m asking them for a fair and reasonable sum,” Trimble said.

Trimble did not disclose the amount of this sum.

The Sentinel reports a T-Mobile spokesperson saying the number has since been changed and completely retired. The company also said it waited 60 days, per policy, before putting the phone number back into the pool of ones that could be chosen. The Sentinel reports Guy could have changed his number earlier but chose not to.

This was the first time Guy had owned a cellphone before, according to the Sentinel, partially because he had only last year been released from serving 19 years in prison on for cocaine trafficking.

Watch Orlando Sentinel reporter Rene Stutzman’s account here.

[H/T Gizmodo]

Featured image via Shutterstock.

Comments (35)

  • SkyeOne
    Posted on June 9, 2012 at 6:58am

    All those people who made death threats should be arrested or at least investigated. Why haven’t they?

    Report Post »  
  • theothertoolbox
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 11:58pm

    Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom

    Report Post » theothertoolbox  
  • theothertoolbox
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 11:57pm

    The BRUTAL RAPE AND MURDER of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom. That’s all I have to say about this. Call the murderer’s parents, cousins and relatives and leave THEM the same messages. Peace OUT!

    Report Post » theothertoolbox  
    • US Navy EOD Vet
      Posted on June 9, 2012 at 9:40pm

      Fortunately, the trial of the the killers will happen this summer and fall (excepting the one who was tried for a fedeal crime as he’s headed to the death chamber). Media won’t be able to ignore it since now people know about it.

      Report Post » US Navy EOD Vet  
  • HeardInAmerica
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 8:33pm

    It’d be nice if the police would track down the calls and arrest those who are leaving death threats!

    Report Post »  
  • thomas242007
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 7:48pm

    If i was this guy i would hire a detective to trace the calls and find out whos making the calls and have them arrested and send a message about making threats to people that you dont know.

    Report Post » thomas242007  
  • watman43
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 7:11pm

    Hey Mr Zimmerman better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6

    Report Post »  
  • HorseCrazy
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 6:09pm

    do I feel sorry for the drug dealer fresh out of jail? nope not one bit. if this was grandma’s first cell phone you bet I would be mad.

    Report Post »  
  • RightPolitically
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 6:02pm

    T-Mobile owes damages for assigning him Zimmerman’s old cellphone number. I understand that he and his mother both moved out of their house for fear of reprisal. That’s a serious situation to have their lives turned upside down like that. Rumor has it that T-Mobile wants to give the Guy a new phone number and no damages. Sorry, T-Mobile, you’ll have to pay up!

    Report Post » RightPolitically  
    • GrumpyCat
      Posted on June 8, 2012 at 6:17pm

      The only damages T-Mobile owes is a refund, new phone number, and option out of any existing contract.

      The “victim” waived any greater damages the moment he collected on 15 minutes of fame. In doing so he demonstrated he wasn’t really being harmed.

       
  • OuttheSocialist
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:51pm

    The DOJ does not want to trace those calls. They cannot afford to arrest these idiots. If they were arrested, these whackjobs would lose their opportunity to cast their votes this November for Obama.

    Report Post » OuttheSocialist  
  • vampiric aristocracy
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:28pm

    Go to http://www.usmessageboard.com and you’ll will see that poster.
    Oh,but if you say you’re from the blaze,they’ll ban you outright.

    Report Post » vampiric aristocracy  
    • Joker50
      Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:36pm

      From what I have read on that site, it appears the Liberals want the entire Constitution repealed!!!

      Report Post »  
  • vampiric aristocracy
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:24pm

    There is a guy on us message board named SALT JONES that openly called for Zimmerman’s death saying if he ever got out,there’s a bounty on his head and would be killed.

    Report Post » vampiric aristocracy  
  • MrKnowItAll
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:17pm

    NEVER SAY You don’t know why a Pack of Gum cost so much Now. Someone Chocked on a piece and Won a BIG Lawsuit!

    Report Post » MrKnowItAll  
  • TheSitRep
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:17pm

    The FBI should keep that number and call trace the people issuing death threats and then prosecute the livin’ sh1t out of them.

    Report Post » TheSitRep  
  • Dougral Supports Israel
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:57pm

    Once he realized why he was getting the threats he would have known he was safe since the callers thought he was Zimmerman. He should only be owed a new number which he has already received.

    Report Post »  
  • moreteaplease
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:55pm

    Man alive! What people won’t sue over these days. Damages? Such as…?

    Report Post » moreteaplease  
  • Rodney777
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:46pm

    This has to be a black person asking for money! Hey T-mobile give me zimman number! The police should go after the phone records then arrest everyone that called this number! Something tells me it’s like 3 people this person just thinks he can get something free! Wow your race amazes me!

    Report Post » Rodney777  
  • RJJinGadsden
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:46pm

    I’ve been through the pain of receiving a former restaurant telephone number when we moved out to our rural area about 8 years ago. We to this day still get calls for orders at lunch and supper time. Got a call the other day asking if we were hiring.

    Report Post » RJJinGadsden  
    • HorseCrazy
      Posted on June 8, 2012 at 6:08pm

      I feel you. I bought a phone for my 8yr old, we are divorced, so he could call me for emergencies if needed at his dads. my child was crying from being screamed at by debt collectors for someone’s student loans repeatedly. I ended up screaming at my carrier and all of the debt collectors. They should definately not be giving phone numbers out that are disconnected for non payment for awhile atleast. obviously debt calls etc come with them if someone cannot pay their phone bill chances are other bills aren’t being paid. they need to retire them something else than have my bill jacked up because of calls and texts that belong to the previous owner of the number.

      Report Post »  
  • On_The_Spot
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:29pm

    T-Mobile erred by not “retiring” that number before it got reassigned.

    Guy erred by not just contacting T-Mobile for a new number as soon as he discovered what had happened

    Of course in this lawsuit-happy world we seem to be in, it doesn’t fit the narrative.

    Now T-Mobile customers will have to pay for them to defend this frivolous lawsuit.

    Report Post » On_The_Spot  
  • term limits for congress
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:05pm

    What a dummy! He should have kept that number. Those callers were all potential customers.

    Report Post »  
    • hidden_lion
      Posted on June 8, 2012 at 5:44pm

      He should invite the threateners over for a chat and a lead sandwich.

      Report Post » hidden_lion  
  • Gonzo
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:01pm

    They all moan and groan about lynchings that took place a hundred years ago, but they can‘t wait to put the noose around George’s neck.

    Gonzo  
  • Whitey4West
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:00pm

    The only “fair and reasonable sum” he should be given is either a new number, or reimbursement for the phone and to be let out of the contract. If those aren’t good enough, then tough shtuff….

    Report Post »  
  • DeathTongue
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 3:55pm

    so, this cell phone buyer just got out of prison for trafficking cocaine?? he probably figured he would get a few death threats if he owed any money to his old dealers, but after 10 or 20 he knew something was out of whack….

    Report Post »  
  • blackyb
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 3:54pm

    Those calling George are probably so sorry and will not even work and support the families or may have even caused the deaths of others because of their sorriness. They are nothing to worry about that another good “stand your ground” will not take care of. Do what you gotta do. Do not ever let people bully you or get in your business. Most of these people would not have given Martin a skittle if he was hungry. Dope addicts are about the stingiest people in the world. That is who is keeping this thing going, junkies who want to look like they are doing something right. These people who are threatening this man will meet their own Zimmerman one of these days because that is what happens to those who get in the business of someone who had no trouble with them. These people are cowards. Zimmerman deserves to go free. I would have done the same thing in his position, as would most anyone.

    Report Post » blackyb  
  • EqualJustice
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 3:45pm

    More importantly in this story, WHERE IS THE FBI and the DOJ? Are they tracking down the death threats? This guy is obviously a loser, too, but anyone could have been given that number. It‘s more domestic terrorism from the left that’s allowed in “certain” cases.

    Report Post » EqualJustice  
  • Meyvn
    Posted on June 8, 2012 at 3:39pm

    We all do. And will.

    Report Post » Meyvn  

Sign In To Post Comments! Sign In