Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied Aids drugs
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 8:01am
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — A Zimbabwean human rights activist says he wants the nation's highest court to order prison authorities to ensure suspects in jail can receive their life-prolonging HIV/AIDS medications.
Pakistan: US diplomat kills pedestrian in accident
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:59am
(AP) — The U.S. Embassy says an American diplomat accidentally killed a pedestrian while driving in the Pakistani capital.
Niger government: No hostages in Agadez
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:51am
(AP) — Niger's government spokesman told The Associated Press that the jihadists who attacked a military installation in the town of Agadez on Thursday had never taken any hostages, unlike their earlier statements.
Top Swiss negotiator in tax disputes steps down
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:46am
(AP) — Switzerland's top negotiator in talks to resolve disputes over tax evasion with Europe and the U.S. is stepping down.
Obama's speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:40am
(AP) — President Barack Obama's speech on the use of drones and the fate of Guantanamo prisoners was largely welcomed Friday in two key countries affected by the policies— Pakistan and Yemen.
Gov. Christie boosts Jersey shore on 'Today'
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:39am
(AP) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says that 80 percent of his state's shore will look the same this year as it did last year despite being walloped by Superstorm Sandy.
Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:37am
(AP) — The Syrian government has agreed "in principle" to attend a conference proposed by Russia and the United States on ending the Arab country's conflict, Russia's foreign ministry said Friday.
Takei says Cho good choice for latest 'Star Trek'
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:35am
(AP) — Portraying USS Enterprise helmsman Hikaru Sulu in the latest "Star Trek" movie comes with big shoes to fill, but the man who played the part in the TV series and six films has given his blessing to the actor currently playing the role.
Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:30am
(AP) — After lengthy and wrenching debate, local leaders of the Boy Scouts of America have voted to open their ranks to openly gay boys for the first time, but heated reactions from the left and right made clear that the BSA's controversies are far from over.
Safe room mandates remain rare in tornado states
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:29amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 7:30am
(AP) — After living nearly 20 years in their one-story brick home, Sherry and Larry Wells finally won the lottery — for a state rebate on a home storm shelter, that is. A contractor finished installing the concrete bunker beneath the slab of their garage in early May. About three weeks later, the shelter saved their lives when a tornado that killed 24 people tore through their neighborhood.
10 Things to Know for Today, 1st Ld-Writethru
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:27am
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:17am
(AP) — Associated Press journalists open their notebooks at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
Procter & Gamble brings back A.G. Lafley as CEO
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:16am
(AP) — Household products giant Procter & Gamble Co. is hoping its former CEO can work his magic once again.
Kerry's focus on peace talks, not settlements
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:13am
(AP) — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Israel's government should prevent further settlement construction, where possible, to help revitalize Middle East peace hopes.
Kerry blasts Iranian election maneuvering
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:07am
(AP) — — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is harshly criticizing Iran's guardian council for eliminating hundreds of presidential candidates and, in his view, standing in the way of legitimate, representative democracy.
World stocks stabilize after big sell-off
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:04am
(AP) — World stocks stabilized on Friday, a day after global markets dropped sharply on concerns global growth is slowing and the Federal Reserve could start scaling back its monetary stimulus.
Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 7:04am
(AP) — Seven-time champion Rafael Nadal could face top-seeded Novak Djokovic in the French Open semifinals a year after they met to decide the title.
I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:58amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 7:00am
(AP) — Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."
NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's Xi
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:42am
(AP) — A top North Korean envoy has delivered a letter from leader Kim Jong Un to Chinese President Xi Jinping. The move comes as part of efforts to mend fences after Pyongyang angered Beijing with recent snubs and moves to develop its nuclear program.
Attack casts spotlight on radical preachers
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:38amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 6:39am
(AP) — Two Muslim hardline preachers say that one of the suspects in the killing of a London soldier was interested in their teachings. And a British government official said one of the men tried to go to Somalia to train or fight with the terror group al-Shabab.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 433 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 419 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 366 Comments
- City Removes Christian Crosses on Water Tower and Replaces Them With Flags Amid Church vs. State Debate Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 126 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied Aids drugs
- Pakistan: US diplomat kills pedestrian in accident
- Niger government: No hostages in Agadez
- Top Swiss negotiator in tax disputes steps down
- Obama's speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
- Gov. Christie boosts Jersey shore on 'Today'
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- Takei says Cho good choice for latest 'Star Trek'