Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:29am
(AP) — The European Union's arms embargo to Syria should be extended while a political solution is sought in its civil war and to maintain the safety of U.N. peacekeepers in the Golan Heights, Austria's foreign minister said Friday.
Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:26am
(AP) — At least 22 aftershocks have struck following an earthquake in far northeastern California that was felt as far away as San Francisco and in two other states.
UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:20am
(AP) — Two men have been arrested on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft after an incident on a plane flying from Pakistan to Britain, officials said, rattling the U.K. just days a British soldier was killed on a London street in a suspected terror attack.
World stocks lower after big sell-off
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:19am
(AP) — World stocks edged lower on Friday, a day after markets around the world dropped sharply on concerns global growth is slowing and the Federal Reserve could start scaling back its monetary stimulus.
Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:12am
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — A Zimbabwean human rights activist says he wants the nation's highest court to order prison authorities to ensure suspects in jail can receive their life-prolonging HIV/AIDS medications.
Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:08am
(AP) — Hours after denying that jihadists in the city of Agadez had taken several soldiers hostage, Niger's minister of defense corrected the record in an interview with The Associated Press, saying that in fact two hostages had been found and have now been released.
Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:00am
(AP) — Actress Marion Cotillard has given her all and even learned another language to play a Polish woman struggling with the realities of 1920s New York in James Gray's terse movie, "The Immigrant."
Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:00am
(AP) — An American man accused of killing a family of four in the Czech Republic has been arrested in the United States, police said Friday.
Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:59am
(AP) — A truck carrying an oversize load struck a bridge on the major thoroughfare between Seattle and Canada, sending a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River below, though all three occupants suffered only minor injuries.
Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:59am
(AP) — The Syrian government has agreed "in principle" to attend a conference proposed by Russia and the United States on ending the country's civil war, Russia's Foreign Ministry said Friday, the first confirmation that President Bashar Assad's regime would be willing to take part in the talks with the opposition.
UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:58am
(AP) — UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted.
China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:57am
(AP) — Chinese Premier Li Keqiang is in Switzerland to sign a free trade pact with the Alpine nation — the first comprehensive agreement the country has reached with a major western economy.
Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:56am
(AP) — A look at legislation passed in Turkey's parliament early Friday that would ban all alcohol advertising and tighten restrictions on the sale of such beverages, and how such a law could affect tourists and liquor companies in the mainly Muslim but secular country.
UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:55am
(AP) — United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging African leaders to implement a plan that the U.N. hopes will stabilize eastern Congo after years of turmoil.
Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:51am
(AP) — Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni fired his top military commander Friday, the ouster apparently linked to turmoil over Museveni's alleged plan to have his son succeed him as head of state.
Stocks open lower, market headed for a weekly loss
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:47am
(AP) — Stocks are opening lower on Wall Street, putting the market on track for its first weekly loss after four weeks of gains.
UK fighter jet scrambled to divert civilian plane
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:37am
(AP) — A British fighter jet was launched to divert a civilian plane carrying nearly 300 passengers from Pakistan to England after an incident on board, British officials said Friday.
Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:34am
(AP) — An advocacy group says patients at Kenya's only psychiatric hospital are often confined and immobilized using drugs that put them into a comatose-like state, factors that could have led to the recent escape of 40 male patients.
Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:32am
(AP) — New Jersey rolled out some of its big guns Friday to proclaim that the shore is back following Superstorm Sandy, using Gov. Chris Christie and the cast of MTV's "Jersey Shore" to tell a national audience the state is ready for summer fun.
UK military jet launched to probe civilian plane
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:26am
(AP) — Britain's Ministry of Defense says a Typhoon jet has been launched to investigate an incident involving a civilian aircraft.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 420 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested