Feds open special inspection into NC nuke plant
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:59am
(AP) — Federal regulators said Wednesday that they are conducting a special inspection of a nuclear power plant outside North Carolina's capital city that was forced to shut down last week after operators discovered corrosion and cracking in the reactor vessel's covering.
IRS official Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:52am
(AP) — The Internal Revenue Service official at the center of the storm over the agency's targeting of conservative groups told Congress on Wednesday that she had done nothing wrong in the episode, and then invoked her constitutional right to refuse to answer lawmakers' questions.
Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:51am
(AP) — China's premier signed economic agreements and praised Pakistan in glowing terms as he began a two-day visit Wednesday, underscoring the importance of the longstanding alliance to the two Asian powers.
Iran expands nuke technology
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:51am
(AP) — The U.N.'s atomic agency says Iran is moving ahead to update a program the West fears could be used to make nuclear weapons.
Complaint accuses Exxon Mobil of anti-gay bias
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:49am
(AP) — One after another, major U.S. corporations have updated anti-discrimination policies to protect gay, lesbian and transgender workers, drawing plaudits from gay-rights groups. There's one prominent exception: Exxon Mobil Corp.
Douglas, Damon dramatize a steamy show-biz affair
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:48am
(AP) — The idea of Michael Douglas playing Liberace might seem nearly as outrageous as Liberace himself.
Germans, French eye plan to create jobs for young
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:47am
(AP) — Germany and France are preparing to launch a drive to combat the problem of high European youth unemployment, which officials in Berlin say will center on trying to get business involved and make better use of already-pledged public money.
Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:45am
(AP) — A 33-year-old Polish man received a face transplant just three weeks after being disfigured in a workplace accident, in what his doctors said Wednesday is the fastest time frame to date for such an operation.
Intercontinental missile test-launched in Calif.
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:43am
(AP) — The U.S. Air Force launched an unarmed intercontinental ballistic missile from a California base on Wednesday, a month after the test flight was postponed because of tensions with North Korea.
Oil falls near $95 on small drop in supplies
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:41am
The price of oil fell near $95 a barrel Wednesday as the nation's oil supply fell less than expected and demand for gasoline remained weak.
2 infants among 10 kids killed in Oklahoma tornado
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:40am
(AP) — The Oklahoma medical examiner's office says two infants are among 24 people killed by the tornado that ripped across the Oklahoma City area this week.
Bears LB Urlacher announces retirement
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:39am
(AP) — Star linebacker Brian Urlacher says he's retiring after spending 13 seasons with the Chicago Bears.
NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:39am
(AP) — Many young people are among the mourners attending the funeral of a Hofstra University student who was accidentally shot by police.
Kenya's truth report: Killings, land grabs, graft
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:38am
(AP) — Kenya's president received a long-awaited Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission report that names the president and his deputy as being among those suspected of planning and financing Kenya's 2007-08 postelection violence in which more than 1,000 people died and 600,000 were evicted from their homes.
Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:37am
(AP) — Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress Wednesday that the U.S. job market remains weak and that it is too soon for the Federal Reserve to end its extraordinary stimulus programs.
House panel seeks to curb military sexual assaults
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:33am
(AP) — Determined to check the growing epidemic of sexual assaults in the armed forces, a House panel is poised to approve a series of revisions to longstanding military law. They include stripping commanding officers of their unilateral authority to change or dismiss a court-martial conviction and requiring that service members found guilty of sexual offenses be dismissed or dishonorably discharged.
FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:31am
(AP) — The FBI is leaving open the question of who fired the fatal shot that killed a man being questioned by authorities in the Boston bombing probe.
Mais non! French universities may teach in English
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:31amUpdated on May 22, 2013 at 11:32am
(AP) — In France, there's a brewing debate over whether to speak anglais in universite.
IMF calls on Britain to do more for growth
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:30am
(AP) — The International Monetary Fund has called on Britain to do more to support the economic recovery, urging the government Wednesday to speed up investment in infrastructure and come up with a plan to privatize its bailed out banks.
EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 11:28am
(AP) — European Union leaders on Wednesday sought to advance their fight against tax fraud and close the loopholes for large corporations' tax avoidance schemes.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 467 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 441 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 335 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 157 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 202 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 145 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 100 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Feds open special inspection into NC nuke plant
- IRS official Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- Iran expands nuke technology
- Complaint accuses Exxon Mobil of anti-gay bias
- Douglas, Damon dramatize a steamy show-biz affair
- Germans, French eye plan to create jobs for young
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury