Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 6:00pm
(AP) — A once-prominent swimming coach who trained thousands of children was sentenced to seven years in prison Thursday for sexually abusing one of the girls he instructed.
Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:59pm
(AP) — President Barack Obama sought Thursday to advance the U.S. beyond the unrelenting war effort of the past dozen years, defining a narrowing terror threat that still imperils the nation but now is defined by smaller networks and homegrown extremists rather than the grandiose plots of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida. He defended his controversial drone-strikes program as a linchpin of the U.S. response to the evolving dangers.
Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:58pm
(AP) — In the most prominent challenge of its kind, Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. has asked a federal appeals court for an exemption from part of the federal health care law.
Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:55pm
(AP) — A man seen with bloody hands wielding a butcher knife after the killing of a British soldier on the streets of London was described as a convert to Islam who took part in demonstrations with a banned radical group, two Muslim hard-liners said Thursday.
Kingston leads BMW PGA Championship
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:53pm
(AP) — South Africa's James Kingston shot a 6-under 66 on Thursday at Wentworth to take the lead during the suspended first round of the BMW PGA Championship.
House backs variable rate student loans
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:51pm
(AP) — Dismissing a veto threat from President Barack Obama, lawmakers in the House passed legislation that links student loan rates to the ups and downs of the financial markets in a vote largely along party lines.
Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:51pm
(AP) — Anthony Weiner set out to reintroduce himself to voters Thursday as he embarked on a mayoral bid after leaving Congress in a sexting scandal. He found a much more supportive reception in his first campaign stop than he did from his party's leadership, who bluntly criticized his candidacy a day earlier.
Tea party vs. old guard in Senate GOP rift
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:49pm
(AP) — A long-simmering feud between establishment Republicans and tea partyers is in full view again with Sen. John McCain accusing younger colleagues of using tactics that might tempt Democrats to change Senate rules that now protect the minority party.
Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:48pm
(AP) — President Barack Obama is lifting his self-imposed ban on transferring Guantanamo Bay detainees to Yemen, where a leadership upheaval has improved the country's security but not eliminated the terrorist organization trying to recruit jihadists.
Lawyer: NY man at center of HIV scare not positive
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:46pmUpdated on May 23, 2013 at 5:47pm
(AP) — Nushawn Williams, a New York drug dealer imprisoned amid accusations he infected 13 young women with HIV in the 1990s, does not have the virus that causes AIDS, according to his attorney, who said he arranged for a new blood test as part of efforts to get him released from prison.
Investigator: Missing Iowa girl's blood found
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:45pmUpdated on May 23, 2013 at 5:46pm
(AP) — Investigators have discovered the blood of a missing 15-year-old Iowa girl on the truck of a man suspected of kidnapping her Monday, diminishing the chances of finding her alive, a lead investigator said Thursday.
IRS replaces official who oversaw targeting
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:45pm
(AP) — A day after she refused to answer questions at a congressional hearing, Lois Lerner has been replaced as director the Internal Revenue Service division that oversaw agents who targeted tea party groups.
WHO: Scientific red tape mars efforts vs. virus
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:43pm
(AP) — International efforts to combat a new pneumonia-like virus that has now killed 22 people are being slowed by unclear rules and competition for the potentially profitable rights to disease samples, the head of the World Health Organization warned Thursday.
Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:43pm
(AP) — Internet radio company Pandora Media Inc. reported higher-than-expected revenue in the latest quarter, with losses in line with analysts' forecasts, as the number of subscribers who pay for ad-free listening more than doubled to exceed 2.5 million.
Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:42pm
(AP) — Hall of Fame goalie Patrick Roy is returning to the Colorado Avalanche as their head coach.
87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:40pm
(AP) — An 87-year-old grandmother took on billionaire Donald Trump. And on Thursday — she lost.
Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:39pmUpdated on May 23, 2013 at 5:44pm
(AP) — The man who famously put down his Big Mac to help rescue three women held captive for years in a Cleveland house will get free McDonald's for the next year, a company spokeswoman confirmed Thursday.
NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:38pm
(AP) — Surrounded by engineers, NASA chief Charles Bolden inspected a prototype spacecraft engine that could power an audacious mission to lasso an asteroid and tow it closer to Earth for astronauts to explore.
Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:37pm
(AP) — Robert Griffin III's rehab started with a "cry festival." Then came a special new passcode for his cellphone and a chance to hash things out with coach Mike Shanahan.
Hurricane outlook: Another busy Atlantic season
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 5:36pm
(AP) — Get ready for another busy hurricane season, maybe an unusually wild one, federal forecasters say.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 498 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 329 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 186 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 130 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 123 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Kingston leads BMW PGA Championship
- House backs variable rate student loans
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Tea party vs. old guard in Senate GOP rift