Venezuela to create new workers militia
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:57pm
(AP) — Venezuela's president has ordered the creation of a new workers' militia as part of an existing pro-government fighting force.
Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:55pm
(AP) — The lawyer for ex-Guatemalan President Alfonso Portillo says he is being extradited to the United States to face money-laundering and embezzlement charges.
6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:48pm
(AP) — Six paintings by the famous Wyeth family of artists have sold for just over $2 million at a New York City auction.
Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:48pm
(AP) — New Jersey rolled out some of its big guns Friday to proclaim that the shore is back following Superstorm Sandy, using Gov. Chris Christie and the cast of MTV's "Jersey Shore" to tell a national audience the state is ready for summer fun.
Ruby says her sworn statements were lies
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:44pm
(AP) — The woman who prosecutors allege had sex with Silvio Berlusconi while he was Italy's premier in exchange for money spent her second day on the witness stand Friday, denying her own sworn descriptions of racy escapades at his "bunga bunga" parties and long lists of expensive jewelry and watches received from the media mogul. Karima el Mahroug, a Moroccan known as Ruby, dismissed a series of sworn statements she made to investigators in the summer of 2010 as "all stupid things" that she now regrets saying. "I apologize to the prosecutors. They were all nonsense," she said.
Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:42pm
(AP) — Chile's environmental regulator blocked Barrick Gold Corp.'s $8.5 billion Pascua-Lama project on Friday and imposed its maximum fine on the world's largest gold miner, citing "very serious" violations of its environmental permit as well as a failure by the company to accurately describe what it had done wrong.
Roger Federer, always at Grand Slam tournaments
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:41pm
(AP) — When the French Open starts Sunday, Roger Federer will be in his 54th consecutive Grand Slam tournament.
Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:39pm
(AP) — Some labor unions that enthusiastically backed President Barack Obama's health care overhaul are now frustrated and angry, fearful that it will jeopardize benefits for millions of their members.
Egypt: 3 women killed in suspected 'honor' crime
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:38pm
(AP) — A mother and two daughters were allegedly killed by male relatives in southern Egypt who believed they'd had affairs, the latest apparent example of so-called "honor killings" in which women are slain for violating traditional morals in the conservative region, a security official said Friday.
Stocks head lower, market on track for weekly loss
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:34pm
(AP) — The stock market headed lower in midday trading Friday, putting it on track for its first weekly loss in a month.
Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:33pm
(AP) — A powerful earthquake on Friday hit Russia's Far East with tremors felt as far away as Moscow, about 7,000 kilometers (4,400 miles) west of the epicenter, but no casualties or damage were reported.
APNewsBreak: Co. says it has permits to cross span
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:31pm
(AP) — A truck hauling a too-tall load of drilling equipment hit an overhead bridge girder on the major interstate between Seattle and Canada, sending a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River. All three occupants suffered only minor injuries.
Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:30pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 12:34pm
(AP) — After lengthy and wrenching debate, local leaders of the Boy Scouts of America have voted to open their ranks to openly gay boys for the first time, but heated reactions from the left and right made clear that the BSA's controversies are far from over.
Russia says Syrian regime agrees to peace talks
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:30pm
(AP) — The Syrian government has agreed to attend a conference proposed by Russia and the United States on ending the country's civil war, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday, the first sign that President Bashar Assad's regime would be willing to take part in the talks with the opposition.
UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:23pm
(AP) — Britain scrambled fighter jets Friday to intercept a commercial airliner carrying more than 300 people from Pakistan, diverting it to an isolated runway at an airport on the outskirts of London and arresting two passengers on suspicion of endangering the aircraft.
Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:19pm
(AP) — With a growing sexual assault epidemic staining the military, President Barack Obama urged U.S. Naval Academy graduates Friday to remember their honor depends on what they do when nobody is looking and said the crime has "no place in the greatest military on earth."
Canadian trucking company says it had permits
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:18pm
(AP) — The trucking company involved in a Washington state bridge collapse says it received a state-issued permit to carry its oversized load across the bridge.
Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:17pm
(AP) — The price of oil was knocked below $94 a barrel Friday by a combination of ample supplies and lukewarm demand.
AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:16pm
(AP) — FIFA's new anti-racism task force will ask soccer's governing body next week to approve a mandatory five-match minimum ban for any player found guilty of racist abuse, a person with knowledge of the situation said Friday.
World stocks lower after big sell-off
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:12pm
(AP) — World stocks edged lower on Friday, a day after markets around the world dropped sharply on concerns global growth is slowing and the Federal Reserve could start scaling back its monetary stimulus.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 501 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 462 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 458 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 104 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 194 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 133 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Ruby says her sworn statements were lies
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Roger Federer, always at Grand Slam tournaments
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul