UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:23pm
(AP) — Britain scrambled fighter jets Friday to intercept a commercial airliner carrying more than 300 people from Pakistan, diverting it to an isolated runway at an airport on the outskirts of London and arresting two passengers on suspicion of endangering the aircraft.
Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:19pm
(AP) — With a growing sexual assault epidemic staining the military, President Barack Obama urged U.S. Naval Academy graduates Friday to remember their honor depends on what they do when nobody is looking and said the crime has "no place in the greatest military on earth."
Canadian trucking company says it had permits
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:18pm
(AP) — The trucking company involved in a Washington state bridge collapse says it received a state-issued permit to carry its oversized load across the bridge.
Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:17pm
(AP) — The price of oil was knocked below $94 a barrel Friday by a combination of ample supplies and lukewarm demand.
AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:16pm
(AP) — FIFA's new anti-racism task force will ask soccer's governing body next week to approve a mandatory five-match minimum ban for any player found guilty of racist abuse, a person with knowledge of the situation said Friday.
World stocks lower after big sell-off
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:12pm
(AP) — World stocks edged lower on Friday, a day after markets around the world dropped sharply on concerns global growth is slowing and the Federal Reserve could start scaling back its monetary stimulus.
Chile blocks world's highest mine project
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:09pm
(AP) — Chile's environmental regulator has stopped construction and imposed sanctions on Barrick Gold Corp.'s $8.5 billion Pascua-Lama project, citing "serious violations" of its environmental permit.
Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:06pm
(AP) — Actress Amanda Bynes was charged with reckless endangerment after police say she heaved a marijuana bong out of an apartment window in New York City.
Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:01pm
(AP) — Iran's top nuclear negotiator, a candidate in next month's presidential elections, says he will pursue a policy of resistance against the West if elected.
Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 12:00pm
(AP) — Britain is bracing for clashes with right-wing activists and possible copycat terror attacks by Islamic extremists after the savage slaying of a young soldier, whose grieving family spoke Friday of their loss.
Truck in Wash. span collapse hauled drilling equip
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:59am
(AP) — A truck hauling a too-tall load of drilling equipment hit an overhead bridge girder on the major interstate between Seattle and Canada, sending a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River. All three occupants suffered only minor injuries.
Chile blocks Pascua-Lama mine, fines Barrick $16 million for serious environmental violations.
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:59am
(AP) — Chile blocks Pascua-Lama mine, fines Barrick $16 million for serious environmental violations.
Cyclist tests positive for EPO, risks life ban
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:58am
(AP) — Cycling's first major race since the end of the Lance Armstrong case was rattled by another high-profile positive doping test Friday.
18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:57am
(AP) — Eighteen people were taken to the hospital Friday, at least two in serious condition, after they were hurt in a crash between a hotel shuttle bus and a tractor-trailer near Atlanta's airport, officials said.
US: Czech slaying suspect killed relatives
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:56am
(AP) — An American man killed his uncle, aunt and cousins in the Czech Republic and then flew to the United States, where he was arrested at an airport, authorities said Friday.
NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:50am
(AP) — A top North Korean envoy delivered a letter from leader Kim Jong Un to Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday and told him Pyongyang would take steps to rejoin stalled nuclear disarmament talks, in an apparent victory for Beijing's efforts to coax its unruly ally into lowering tensions.
China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:48am
(AP) — Chinese Premier Li Keqiang is in Switzerland to seal a free trade pact with the Alpine nation — the first comprehensive agreement his country has reached with a major western economy.
Defending champ Keselowski tries to build on title
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:45am
(AP) — Defending series champion Brad Keselowski believes he's still the fastest in Sprint Cup, even if his results four months into the season don't bear that out.
Nigeria military says it rescued hostages in north
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:45am
(AP) — Nigeria's military says it has rescued women and children taken hostage by Islamic extremists after an attack on a police barracks.
Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 11:44am
(AP) — Associated Press journalists open their notebooks at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 459 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 452 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 181 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 116 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss