Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:50am
(AP) — A mortar round exploded in Goma, a city in eastern Congo which has been in the crosshairs of this country's latest rebellion, officials said Wednesday, as the United Nations secretary-general arrived in Congo's capital for a two-day visit expected to take him to Goma.
Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:48am
(AP) — Zimbabwe's president signs into law a new constitution and vows to hold peaceful and clean elections later this year.
Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:41am
(AP) — Eric Garcetti has defeated Wendy Greuel (Grool) in the race to become next mayor of Los Angeles.
South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:38am
(AP) — South Sudan is warning that it may stop exporting oil through Sudan's pipelines again.
Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:35am
(AP) — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Wednesday that a decision by election overseers to disqualify his top aide from next month's presidential race is an act of "oppression" and that he will take the case to the country's supreme leader.
Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:34am
(AP) — The Czech president says he will no longer block a university professorship for a gay rights activist who had been critical of him.
Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:31am
(AP) — The Vatican took another step Wednesday to show greater financial transparency by publishing the first annual report from its financial watchdog agency and announcing new regulations to fight money laundering and terror financing.
UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:27am
(AP) — Britain is proposing to give around 600 Afghan interpreters who worked alongside its troops the right to settle in the U.K. in recognition of the risks to their personal safety.
Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:25am
(AP) — Target Corp. reported a 26 percent drop in first-quarter profit as cool temperatures and financial pressures limited customers' appetite for spending.
Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:19am
(AP) — Anthony Weiner's run for a renaissance is officially on.
Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:19am
(AP) — A 61-year-old Irishman was charged in Britain Wednesday with the Irish Republican Army bombing of the queen's ceremonial cavalry in Hyde Park in 1982, a strike at a top London tourist attraction that killed four soldiers and seven horses.
GOP questions IRS scrutiny of anti-abortion groups
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:17am
(AP) — When a small anti-abortion group in Iowa sought nonprofit status, the Internal Revenue Service asked its board to promise not to organize protests outside Planned Parenthood and demanded to know how its prayer meetings and protest signs were educational.
Oil stays near $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:15am
The price of oil was little changed above $96 a barrel Wednesday as investors waited confirmation of a rise in U.S. crude stocks and the Federal Reserve's latest views on the U.S. economy.
Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:13am
(AP) — Lowe's Cos. said Wednesday that its first-quarter net income rose nearly 3 percent, but results fell short of expectations as rainy weather hurt spring gardening sales.
AP Interview: Rogge cites need for targeted tests
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:07am
(AP) — Olympic officials agree that more targeted, out-of-competition testing in high-profile sports is needed to catch the drug cheats who are escaping the net, IOC President Jacques Rogge said Wednesday.
Iraqi PM orders army shakeup after deadly attacks
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:05am
(AP) — An Iraqi government spokesman says Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has ordered changes in senior ranks of the military in the wake of bloody attacks that have killed dozens of people in the past few days.
EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:04am
(AP) — Two officials say Britain has launched a bid to formally have the European Union declare the Lebanese party Hezbollah's military wing a terrorist organization.
Canet seeks gritty New York in 'Blood Ties'
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:02am
(AP) — The problem with New York these days is there's just not enough litter.
Iceland forms new center-right government
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:01am
(AP) — Progressive Party leader Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson has been chosen as Iceland's new prime minister.
7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 8:01am
(AP) — Six Egyptian policemen and a border guard kidnapped by suspected militants in the volatile Sinai Peninsula last week were freed by their captors Wednesday after successful mediation, the country's military spokesman said.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 242 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 191 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 103 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 124 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 141 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters