Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:53am
(AP) — Sony's CEO Kazuo Hirai says the electronics giant's board will discuss a proposal by U.S. hedge fund manager Daniel Loeb to spin off up to 20 percent of its movie, TV and music division.
Afghan students protest women's rights decree
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:49am
(AP) — Hard-line Islamist students protested Wednesday in the Afghan capital demanding the repeal of a presidential decree for women's rights that they say is un-Islamic. It was the latest sign of a backlash against the legal protections passed in the 12 years since the toppling of the Taliban regime known for its harsh treatment of women.
Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:41am
(AP) — The price of oil fell Wednesday as investors waited for a report on U.S. crude stocks and the Federal Reserve's latest views on the U.S. economy.
Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:40am
(AP) — The Bank of England's policymakers remain divided on whether to provide more stimulus to the flat-lining economy, according to the minutes of their meeting in May.
Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:40am
(AP) — Associated Press journalists open their notebooks at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:34am
(AP) — Six Egyptian policemen and a border guard kidnapped by suspected militants in the volatile Sinai Peninsula last week were freed by their captors Wednesday after successful mediation, the country's military spokesman said.
Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:33am
(AP) — A publicist for an upcoming Marilyn Monroe exhibition in Prague says that photographs of the star have been stolen.
World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:33am
(AP) — World stock markets were mixed Wednesday, hours before Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke is to deliver remarks before Congress on the state of the U.S. economy.
Fishermen pay price in Asia's volatile sea rifts
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:31am
(AP) — Along the northwestern Philippine coast, poor children with claw hammers clamber aboard an abandoned fishing vessel to pry loose and steal rusty nails from its deck. It's become a familiar sight in villages where some fishermen have been forced to give up their livelihoods since China took control of their fishing haven last year.
Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:25amUpdated on May 22, 2013 at 5:28am
(AP) — Diplomats say Iran is moving ahead to update a program the West fears could be used to make nuclear weapons, in a blow to years of high-level diplomacy aimed at stopping it from doing so.
Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:14amUpdated on May 22, 2013 at 5:15am
(AP) — Syria's main opposition group is urging rebels to come from around the country to reinforce Qusair, a western town under attack by Syrian troops and members of Lebanon's Hezbollah group.
Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:12amUpdated on May 22, 2013 at 5:13am
(AP) — An 80-year-old Japanese extreme skier who climbed Mount Everest five years ago, but just missed becoming the oldest man to reach the summit, was back on the mountain Wednesday to make another attempt at the title.
Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 5:10am
(AP) — It was the customer service disaster heard around the Internet.
Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:40am
(AP) — An embezzling case that began with a chef being accused of stealing food from Virginia's Executive Mansion and morphed into a political scandal involving two of the state's most powerful politicians has some people wondering: What goes on behind the wide double doors of the governor's house?
Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:38am
(AP) — In a surprise jailhouse interview just hours after a jury began deliberating her fate, Jodi Arias spoke out Tuesday about her murder trial, her many fights with her legal team and her belief that she "deserves a second chance at freedom someday."
Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:22am
(AP) — Councilman Eric Garcetti, who jammed with pop star Moby and fashioned himself as a voice for a new generation of city leaders, has opened a growing lead in the race for Los Angeles mayor with the pool of uncounted ballots steadily shrinking.
Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:18am
(AP) — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says a decision by election overseers to disqualify his top aide from an upcoming presidential race is an act of "oppression" and he will take the case to the country's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:15am
(AP) — In the chaotic moments after a gunman wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, investigators quickly turned a patrol car into a makeshift whiteboard, using markers to scrawl relevant information about the investigation.
Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:14am
(AP) — Pakistan says it shares "identical views" on foreign policy with China, whose premier is beginning a two-day visit to Islamabad in the latest sign of the tight relationship between the two Asian powers.
Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 4:08am
(AP) — Anthony Weiner's run for a renaissance is officially on.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 163 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 113 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony