Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:29am
(AP) — An American man accused of killing a family of four in the Czech Republic has been arrested in the United States, police said Friday.
Ugandan president removes army chief amid dispute
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:28am
(AP) — Uganda's president has removed his top military commander and put him in a civilian role in a shuffle apparently prompted by an ongoing row over a rumored plan for President Yoweri Museveni to have his son succeed him.
German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:27am
(AP) — German business confidence rebounded this month in an unexpectedly strong showing that sends a hopeful signal for more robust growth in Europe's biggest economy, a closely watched survey found Friday.
Glitzy amfAR raises $25 million, goes to space
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:17am
(AP) — With an apt rendition of "Gold-finger," singing legend Shirley Bassey roused celebrity-revelers to dig deep into their pockets at the 20th amfAR gala in the Cap D'Antibes Thursday, helping to raise an estimated $25 million for AIDS research.
Foreign preacher takes rare turn on Vietnam stage
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:11am
(AP) — The 25,000 people at the soccer stadium and the millions more watching at home waited 90 minutes before the Australian evangelical preacher got to the message he had come to Communist-ruled Vietnam to deliver.
Obama's drone speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:10am
(AP) — President Barack Obama's speech on the use of drones to kill Islamic militants was well-received in two countries most affected by the strikes — Pakistan and Yemen — but criticism of the U.S. policy remains strong.
5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:01am
(AP) — An earthquake in far northeastern California was felt by thousands of people as far away as San Francisco and in two other states, but there have been no reports of injury or serious damage.
JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:59amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 5:00am
(AP) — J.C. Chandor may just have saved someone's life during an interview in Cannes.
Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:57am
(AP) — Britain is bracing for clashes with right-wing extremists and possible copycat terror attacks after the slaying of a young soldier, adding some 1,200 police to potential trouble spots.
Jury in Arias case gives up after no consensus
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:51am
(AP) — As jurors in Jodi Arias' murder trial filed one by one from the courtroom after a dramatic five months of gut-wrenching testimony and gruesome photographs, three women on the panel cried and one looked to the victim's family, mouthing the word, "Sorry."
Syrian state media: Rebels attack prison in north
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:42am
(AP) — Syria's state media say rebels have fired mortar shells at the central prison in an embattled northern city, killing and wounding several inmates.
I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:40am
(AP) — Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."
No guarantee of peace, NKorean envoy warns China
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:32am
(AP) — China's state media says an envoy from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has warned there is no guarantee of peace on the Korean Peninsula, but also stressed that his country is willing to hold talks with all sides to find a solution.
Syrian govt to take part in peace conference
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:27amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 4:46am
(AP) — The Syrian government has agreed to a conference on the country's future proposed by Russia and the United States, Russia's foreign ministry said Friday
Plastic ocean debris the target of new Calif. bill
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:15amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 4:17am
(AP) — It's a common sight on the nation's beaches: among the sand, sea foam and gnarled kelp lay plastic bottles, bags and other garbage.
Obama addressing Naval Academy graduates 2nd time
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:08am
(AP) — A day after laying out his counterterrorism vision, President Barack Obama is addressing future military leaders who could help carry it out in a speech to U.S. Naval Academy graduates.
Older brother held in deaths of 2 younger siblings
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:03amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 4:05am
(AP) — A 15-year-old boy is in custody after authorities investigating the stabbing deaths of his younger adopted brothers found him miles away with traces of blood on him, officials said.
Syria govt to take part in peace conference
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:58am
(AP) — Russia's foreign ministry says the Syrian government has agreed to a conference on the country's future proposed by Russia and the United States.
Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:49am
(AP) — The Los Angeles Kings haven't lost a home game in two months, and the San Jose Sharks gave nothing close to the effort necessary to snap the champions' streak in Game 5.
Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:48am
(AP) — Some labor unions that initially backed President Barack Obama's health care overhaul are now frustrated and angry about what they say are unexpected consequences of the plan that could hurt their members.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 384 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 114 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Ugandan president removes army chief amid dispute
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Glitzy amfAR raises $25 million, goes to space
- Foreign preacher takes rare turn on Vietnam stage
- Obama's drone speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'