3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:59am
(AP) — A security official says al-Qaida gunmen attacked a military position in a southern province, touching off fighting that left three militants and two soldiers dead.
Some damage reported from 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:56am
(AP) — An earthquake in far northeastern California did not injure anyone but did cause moderate damage, including to a water tank that supplies hundreds of homes with drinking water, local authorities said Friday.
Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:53am
(AP) — President Barack Obama says sexual assault threatens the "trust and discipline" that makes the U.S. military strong and respected.
Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:52am
(AP) — A truck hauling a too-tall load hit an overhead girder of a bridge on the major thoroughfare between Seattle and Canada, sending a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River below, though all three occupants suffered only minor injuries.
UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:51am
(AP) — Two men have been arrested on suspicion of endangering an aircraft after a plane carrying more than 300 people from Pakistan to Britain was diverted from its original course Friday, officials said. The incident further rattled the U.K. just days after a British soldier was brutally killed on a London street in a suspected terror attack.
Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:45amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 10:51am
(AP) — During a hurricane, storm surge is one of the greatest threats to life and land, yet many people don't understand the dire warnings from forecasters to get out of its way. So this season, they hope to offer easy-to-understand, color-coded maps and change the way they talk to the public.
Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:45am
(AP) — Kid Rock is a scalper.
News Corp. board approves split, stock buyback
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:43am
(AP) — News Corp. says its board of directors has approved plans to split its entertainment and publishing businesses into two separate companies.
Suicide bomb hits Kabul as Taliban battle police
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:42am
(AP) — A suicide bomber struck in the heart of the Afghan capital on Friday, sending a plume of smoke over Kabul in the second major attack in the city in little over a week, police said. The explosion was followed by an hours-long gunbattle in the central district.
French help Niger to kill last jihadist bombers
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:42am
(AP) — With the help of French special forces, Niger's military on Friday killed the last two jihadists holed up inside a dormitory on the grounds of a military garrison in the desert town of Agadez, and freed at least two soldiers who had been held hostage by the extremists, according to French and Nigerien officials.
Stocks head lower, market on track for weekly loss
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:41am
(AP) — The stock market is heading lower in early trading, putting it on track for its first weekly loss in a month.
Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:38am
(AP) — Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni fired his top military commander Friday, the ouster apparently linked to turmoil over Museveni's alleged plan to have his son succeed him as head of state.
Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:38am
(AP) — Britain is bracing for clashes with right-wing extremists and possible copycat terror attacks after the brutal slaying of a young soldier, whose grieving family spoke Friday of their loss.
IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:36am
(AP) — The Internal Revenue Service official who led the unit that targeted tea party groups and publicly disclosed the activity has been replaced, making her the third top IRS official moved aside since the episode was revealed two weeks ago.
Slovenia adopts debt cap to stave off crisis
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:35am
(AP) — Slovenia's parliament on Friday adopted a cap on public spending to try to convince foreign investors that the small eurozone country will not need an international bailout.
China gives US regulators access to audit records
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:32am
(AP) — China has agreed to give U.S. regulators access to audit records for Chinese companies whose shares trade on U.S. stock exchanges, a step forward in a long-running dispute.
Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:29am
(AP) — The European Union's arms embargo to Syria should be extended while a political solution is sought in its civil war and to maintain the safety of U.N. peacekeepers in the Golan Heights, Austria's foreign minister said Friday.
Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:26am
(AP) — At least 22 aftershocks have struck following an earthquake in far northeastern California that was felt as far away as San Francisco and in two other states.
UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:20am
(AP) — Two men have been arrested on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft after an incident on a plane flying from Pakistan to Britain, officials said, rattling the U.K. just days a British soldier was killed on a London street in a suspected terror attack.
World stocks lower after big sell-off
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 10:19am
(AP) — World stocks edged lower on Friday, a day after markets around the world dropped sharply on concerns global growth is slowing and the Federal Reserve could start scaling back its monetary stimulus.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 481 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 450 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 434 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 319 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 138 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- 3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
- Some damage reported from 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- News Corp. board approves split, stock buyback