Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:26pm
(AP) — Anthony Weiner set out to reintroduce himself to voters Thursday as he embarked on a mayoral bid after leaving Congress in a sexting scandal, and he got a supportive reception in his first campaign stop.
US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:23pm
(AP) — U.S. sales of new homes rose in April and nearly matched the fastest pace in five years, driving the median price to a record high. The gains suggest the housing recovery is strengthening.
10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:19pm
Here's your look at highlights from the weekly AP photo report, a gallery featuring a mix of front-page photography, the odd image you might have missed and lasting moments our editors think you should see.
Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:18pm
(AP) — Few have explored the remote volcanic islands of the Galapagos archipelago, an otherworldly landscape inhabited by the world's largest tortoises and other fantastical creatures that inspired Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.
IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:16pm
(AP) — International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde is facing questions at a special Paris court Thursday over her role in the 400 million euro ($520 million) pay-off to a controversial businessman when she was France's finance minister.
Appellate court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:10pm
(AP) — A Milan appeals court has explained why it upheld Silvia Berlusconi's tax fraud conviction, saying the politician illegally purchased the rights to broadcast U.S. movies on his private TV network, then falsely declared the payments to avoid taxes.
Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:07pm
(AP) — Financial markets around the world were roiled Thursday after Japanese stocks suffered their biggest slide since the country was hit by a devastating tsunami more than two years ago.
Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:05pm
(AP) — Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is back as the U.S. men's national team coach and ready for another run at Olympic gold.
Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:04pm
(AP) — One loved the spotlight. Another was nicknamed "The Wall" because of the force he brought to the soccer field.
Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:04pm
(AP) — Ralph Lauren Corp. reported a 35 percent increase in fourth-quarter profit as the luxury retailer benefited from lower cotton prices and cost controls.
Canada businessman's corruption trial on in Cuba
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:01pm
(AP) — A Canadian businessman caught up in a corruption probe in Cuba apparently went on trial Thursday, nearly two years after he was detained and his import company, Tri-Star Caribbean, was shuttered.
Oil falls on concerns for China demand, Fed policy
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:00pm
(AP) — The price of oil fell Thursday as weak manufacturing data from China raised questions about the strength of oil demand in the world's No. 2 economy.
Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:59am
(AP) — Three days of congressional hearings about the Internal Revenue Service's targeting of conservative political groups have lawmakers looking for ways to widen an investigation that has so far been largely contained within the tax collection agency.
Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to Cannes
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:55am
(AP) — Iranian filmmaker Mohammad Rasoulof, whose movies are banned in his country and who has been sentenced to jail by the Islamic regime, is coming to Cannes for a screening of his latest film.
US stock market recovers most of an early loss
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:54am
(AP) — Stock prices are slightly lower at midday on Wall Street after manufacturing contracted unexpectedly in China this month.
Gunmen kill 7 Iraqi soldiers in central Iraq
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:53am
(AP) — Gunmen killed at least seven soldiers in central Iraq on Thursday, officials said, in the latest episode of violence to hit the country in a particularly bloody month.
Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:41am
(AP) — In the most prominent challenge of its kind, Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. is asking a federal appeals court Thursday for an exemption from part of the federal health care law that requires it to offer employees health coverage that includes access to the morning-after pill.
Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:37am
(AP) — Associated Press journalists open their notebooks at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
Violence in Somalia scares investors, aid workers
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:35am
(AP) — A recent spate of attacks by Islamic extremist rebels in Somalia's capital is forcing investors, business leaders and aid workers to have second thoughts about what good they can accomplish.
FBI arrests suspect in Wash. state ricin case
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 11:31amUpdated on May 23, 2013 at 11:32am
(AP) — The FBI has arrested a suspect in a case involving the discovery of a pair of letters containing the deadly poison ricin and says investigators are working "around the clock" to address any remaining risks.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 363 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 120 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 102 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- Appellate court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball