Syria govt to take part in peace conference
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:58am
(AP) — Russia's foreign ministry says the Syrian government has agreed to a conference on the country's future proposed by Russia and the United States.
Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:49am
(AP) — The Los Angeles Kings haven't lost a home game in two months, and the San Jose Sharks gave nothing close to the effort necessary to snap the champions' streak in Game 5.
Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:48am
(AP) — Some labor unions that initially backed President Barack Obama's health care overhaul are now frustrated and angry about what they say are unexpected consequences of the plan that could hurt their members.
IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:41am
(AP) — The Internal Revenue Service official who publicly revealed that the agency targeted tea party groups has been replaced.
Obama balances threats against Americans' rights
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:39am
(AP) — Forecasting the changing nature of threats against the U.S. for years to come, President Barack Obama says "America is at a crossroads." And so, too, is his presidency's counterterrorism policy, which has long struggled to balance protecting the nation from terror attacks while upholding Americans' rights.
Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:29am
(AP) — Ryan Palmer has a definite home-course advantage at the Colonial.
Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:28am
(AP) — During a sluggish first period, a difficult second period, and a tense third period, there were few signs the New York Rangers would be able to hold off the Boston Bruins and extend their season for at least one more game.
Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:26amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 3:28am
(AP) — The Chicago Blackhawks began the year with a record-breaking start.
Safe room mandates remain rare in tornado states
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:19am
(AP) — After living nearly 20 years in their one-story brick home, Sherry and Larry Wells finally won the lottery — for a state rebate on a home storm shelter, that is. A contractor finished installing the concrete bunker beneath the slab of their garage in early May. About three weeks later, the shelter saved their lives when a tornado that killed 24 people tore through their neighborhood.
Turkey passes bill restricting alcohol sales, ads
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:19am
(AP) — Turkey's parliament has passed legislation to ban all advertising of alcohol and tighten restrictions on sales in the mainly Muslim but secular country.
Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:15amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 3:29am
(AP) — During a hurricane, the storm surge poses the greatest threat to life and land, yet many people don't even know what it means.
Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:10am
(AP) — A powerful earthquake on Friday hit Russia's Far East with tremors felt as far away as Moscow, about 7,000 kilometers (4,400 miles) west of the epicenter.
Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:08am
(AP) — After a wrenching debate, local leaders of the Boy Scouts of America have voted to open their ranks to openly gay boys for the first time.
Christie co-hosting 'Today' to promote NJ shore
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 3:01am
(AP) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is co-hosting NBC's "Today" on Friday morning as part of a campaign to proclaim that the state's shore is ready for business seven months after being devastated by Superstorm Sandy.
Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 2:50am
(AP) — Japan's top leaders are defending the economic strategies championed by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, though the central bank chief acknowledged a need for better communication with financial markets, a day after Tokyo shares suffered their worst loss since the 2011 tsunami disaster.
Survey: German consumer confidence rises strongly
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 2:41am
(AP) — A survey is showing a significant rise in German consumer confidence as people's expectations for the economy and for their own income improve.
Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 2:27am
(AP) — South Korean police say a suicidal man jumping to his death killed a 5-year-old girl by falling on her as she walked with her parents outside the apartment building.
I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 2:04amUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 2:05am
(AP) — An Interstate 5 bridge over a river collapsed Thursday evening, dumping two vehicles into the water and sparking a rescue effort by boats and divers who searched the chilly waterway north of Seattle.
Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 1:52am
(AP) — The price of oil was knocked lower Friday by a combination of ample supplies and lukewarm demand.
5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 1:50am
(AP) — A Nepalese official says five climbers are missing and feared dead on the world's third highest mountain.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Syria govt to take part in peace conference
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
- Obama balances threats against Americans' rights
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit