26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:55pm
(AP) — Suicide bombers in Niger detonated two car bombs simultaneously on Thursday, one inside a military camp in the city of Agadez and another in the remote town of Arlit at a French-operated uranium mine, killing a total of 26 people and injuring 30, according to officials in Niger and France.
Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:49pm
(AP) — Authorities in St. Paul say they've recovered the body of a child missing since a rockslide killed a classmate and left two others injured at a park along the Mississippi River.
Court cancels Ukraine's first gay pride rally
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:48pm
(AP) — A Ukrainian court on Thursday banned what would have been Ukraine's first-ever gay pride demonstration, upholding a suit by city authorities, who argued the rally would disturb annual Kiev Day celebrations and could spark violence.
WHO: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:46pm
(AP) — World Health Organization officials said Thursday that their probe into the deadly new coronavirus that has now claimed 22 lives is being delayed because of a dispute over the ownership rights to a sample.
Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:46pm
(AP) — The economy is recovering, the White House is dealing with multiple controversies, and President Barack Obama appears generally unaffected either way.
UN chief visits Goma, Congo
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:44pm
(AP) — United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressed Thursday that security must go hand-in-hand with development in Congo's troubled eastern city of Goma, arriving just hours after a rebel group halted fighting to allow the visit to proceed.
UK attack suspects part of previous investigations
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:43pm
(AP) — Two men accused of butchering a British soldier had been part of previous investigations by security services, a British official said Thursday, as investigators searched several locations and tried to determine whether the men were part of a wider plot to instill terror on the streets of London.
Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:42pm
(AP) — The eastern New Mexico peanut butter plant shuttered nine months ago after a salmonella outbreak is making nut butter again.
Teen brother questioned in death of 2 Utah boys
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:41pm
(AP) — An older brother was being questioned Thursday in the deaths of two Utah boys found by their mother when she returned home, police said.
La Scala scales back on productions due to crisis
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:40pm
(AP) — La Scala has reduced the number of operas it will stage during the 2013-14 season due to Italy's economic crisis, the theater's general manager said Thursday.
Pakistan arrested American who was killed by drone
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:39pm
(AP) — An American citizen killed in a U.S. drone strike in Pakistan in 2011 was arrested by Pakistani authorities three years earlier but escaped after being released on bail, officials said Thursday.
Stocks mixed as investors reassess Fed worries
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:36pm
(AP) — Investors recovered their poise by midday Thursday after an early sell-off sent stocks sharply lower.
With Weiner, NYC mayor race takes on new dynamic
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:35pm
(AP) — However Anthony Weiner does when the polls close, he's certain to add drama to the most competitive New York City mayor's race in more than a decade.
Euro Tour CEO apologizes for 'inappropriate word'
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:33pm
(AP) — The head of the European golf tour has apologized for using the term "colored" during a live television interview in which he was reacting to the spat between Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia.
Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:26pm
(AP) — Anthony Weiner set out to reintroduce himself to voters Thursday as he embarked on a mayoral bid after leaving Congress in a sexting scandal, and he got a supportive reception in his first campaign stop.
US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:23pm
(AP) — U.S. sales of new homes rose in April and nearly matched the fastest pace in five years, driving the median price to a record high. The gains suggest the housing recovery is strengthening.
10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:19pmUpdated on May 23, 2013 at 12:20pm
Here's your look at highlights from the weekly AP photo report, a gallery featuring a mix of front-page photography, the odd image you might have missed and lasting moments our editors think you should see.
Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:18pm
(AP) — Few have explored the remote volcanic islands of the Galapagos archipelago, an otherworldly landscape inhabited by the world's largest tortoises and other fantastical creatures that inspired Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.
IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:16pm
(AP) — International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde is facing questions at a special Paris court Thursday over her role in the 400 million euro ($520 million) pay-off to a controversial businessman when she was France's finance minister.
Appellate court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
Posted on May 23, 2013 at 12:10pm
(AP) — A Milan appeals court has explained why it upheld Silvia Berlusconi's tax fraud conviction, saying the politician illegally purchased the rights to broadcast U.S. movies on his private TV network, then falsely declared the payments to avoid taxes.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 363 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 139 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 104 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Court cancels Ukraine's first gay pride rally
- WHO: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady
- UN chief visits Goma, Congo
- UK attack suspects part of previous investigations
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter