Maine man charged in death of missing teen
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 3:00am
(AP) — A 15-year-old girl found dead in woods north of Bangor knew the man charged with killing her, her best friend said, contrary to early reports that before her disappearance she'd headed outside her Glenburn home to see someone she recently met on Facebook.
Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:58am
(AP) — A steady decline in the yen is proving a godsend for exporters such as Toyota and has won solid support from Japan's main trading partners, who are betting the impact on their own currencies will be offset by gains from a recovery in the world's third-largest economy. It's not such good news for entrepreneurs like Thamonwan Thawornthaweewong, whose Angry Bird fish balls, squid rings and other products now cost more to sell in Japan.
Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:57am
(AP) — The mayor of Portland, Ore., has conceded defeat in an effort to add fluoride to the city's drinking water.
Conn. rail service returning to normal
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:51am
(AP) — Regular train service is returning to Connecticut, five days after a derailment injured scores of commuters and damaged tracks.
Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:48am
(AP) — Khaled Hosseini, whose novels have sold more than 38 million copies worldwide, knows what a lucky man he is.
Young objector challenges Israeli army
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:48am
(AP) — The Israeli military has jailed a young man for six months for refusing to serve because of his opposition to Israel's occupation of the West Bank, focusing attention on the longstanding conflict between the country's universal military service and divided political beliefs.
Egypt: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:43am
(AP) — Six Egyptian policemen and a border guard kidnapped by suspected militants in the Sinai Peninsula last week were freed by their captors Wednesday after successful mediation in the volatile region, the country's military spokesman said.
Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:39am
(AP) — Councilman Eric Garcetti held a slender edge Tuesday in early returns over city Controller Wendy Greuel to become the next Los Angeles mayor, while slow-coming returns suggested it could take a day or more until a winner emerges.
Cancer Society hits 100 as US cancer rate falls
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:37am
(AP) — The American Cancer Society — one of the nation's best known and influential health advocacy groups — is 100 years old this week.
Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:34am
(AP) — In a surprise jailhouse interview just hours after a jury began deliberating her fate, Jodi Arias spoke out Tuesday about her murder trial, her many fights with her legal team and her belief that she "deserves a second chance at freedom someday."
Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:30am
(AP) — Anthony Weiner's run for a renaissance is officially on.
Anthony Weiner launches NY mayoral bid, seeking to revive political career after tweet scandal
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:16am
(AP) — Anthony Weiner launches NY mayoral bid, seeking to revive political career after tweet scandal.
Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:16am
(AP) — Mike Trout even surprised himself in adding to his growing list of impressive big league achievements.
Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:09am
(AP) — Pakistani cricket star-turned politician Imran Khan left the hospital Wednesday, more than two weeks after he suffered serious back injuries in a fall from a forklift at a campaign event, a spokesman said.
Japan's central bank says economy picking up
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:07am
(AP) — Japan's central bank says the world's third-biggest economy is "picking up" as demand recovers in other countries and remains resilient at home, though the trade deficit widened in April, for the tenth straight month.
Oil falls below $96 before Fed chief speaks
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 2:03am
(AP) — The price of oil fell Wednesday as investors waited for a report on U.S. crude stocks and the Federal Reserve's latest views on the U.S. economy.
Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:59am
(AP) — Asian stock markets were mostly higher Wednesday after investor confidence was boosted by a Federal Reserve official's comments that the U.S. central bank should stick with its super-easy monetary policy.
Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:55am
(AP) — Joe Thornton set the tone for the San Jose Sharks with a dominant first period. After that, the Sharks did their best to hang on and tie up their playoff series against the Los Angeles Kings.
North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:51am
(AP) — North Korean leader Kim Jong Un dispatched a high-profile official and close confidant to China on Wednesday as Beijing faces pressure to rein in its belligerent neighbor.
Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:48am
(AP) — An early tally of mail-in ballots and a sprinkle of returns from precincts Tuesday pointed to a tight race for Los Angeles mayor that could leave a winner unknown on Election Day.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 312 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 147 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Maine man charged in death of missing teen
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- Conn. rail service returning to normal
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- Young objector challenges Israeli army
- Egypt: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor