I wonder, which Biblical defintion is he talking about?
Here’s a summary of different Biblical forms of Marriage:
1. Polygamous Marriage-Probably the most common form of marriage in the bible, it is where a man has more than one wife.
2. Levirate Marriage -When a woman was widowed without a son, it became the responsibility of the brother-in-law or a close male relative to take her in and impregnate her. If the resulting child was a son, he would be considered the heir of her late husband. See Ruth, and the story of Onan (Gen. 38:6-10).
3. A man, a woman and her property — a female slave The famous “handmaiden” sketch, as preformed by Abraham (Gen. 16:1-6) and Jacob (Gen. 30:4-5).
4. A man, one or more wives, and some concubines
The definition of a concubine varies from culture to culture, but they tended to be live-in mistresses. Concubines were tied to their “husband,” but had a lower status than a wife. Their children were not usually heirs, so they were safe outlets for sex without risking the line of succession. To see how badly a concubine could be treated, see the famous story of the Levite and his concubine (Judges 19:1-30).
5. A male soldier and a female prisoner of war
Women could be taken as booty from a successful campaign and forced to become wives or concubines. Deuteronomy 21:11-14 describes the process.
6. A male rapist and his victim-Deuteronomy 22:28-29 describes how an unmarried woman who had been raped must marry her attac
July 26, 2012 at 7:20pm
I think the liberal left wing media should leave Dan Cathy alone. It is just unseemly to pick on the mentally handicapped.