Not to spoil the ending, but to answer the question in the headline: apparently, not very many people. And now there's a new Planned Parenthood undercover video out that's sure to give our country another opportunity to disgrace and damn itself by ignoring the holocaust of children.
It's the 10th one in the series, and possibly the most revealing. Unless you regularly read pro-life news sources (and you should, especially LifeSiteNews, which is one of the best websites on the entire internet), you probably won't see much reporting on the subject. I'm a commentator myself, not a reporter, but because both the new and old media have so profoundly failed to do their job, I'll dedicate the first part of this post to simply giving you the straight news.
Here are the bullet points summarizing each clip in the video, which appears to have been recorded during some sort of ritzy conference for well heeled baby killers:
1. Dr. Carolyn Weshoff, Planned Parenthood's senior medical adviser, sips some tasty wine while discussing dividing up the dead children and selling them to various clients. She says the people she works with don't want stem cells, but "particular tissues" like "cardiac" or "eyes" or "neural" or "spinal cords." She says they can sell any part of a murdered baby. Laughing heartily, she reminds the undercover investigator that they can provide "gonads -- oh my God, gonads." She promises that all of the body parts are "fresh," like meat from the local deli. She smirks and says that selling the fresh testicles of murdered children can become a "huge PR issue," and urges secrecy and discretion.
2. Dr. Vanessa Cullins, another high ranking Planned Parenthood official, admits that these transactions could "destroy" their organization if they don't "time the conversations correctly."
3. Deb VanDerhei, the national director for the Consortium of Abortion Providers at Planned Parenthood Federation of America, asks the buyer if he "just wants livers." He says he's looking for everything. She asks about "remuneration," which is a fancy word for financial compensation. She brings up the question of profits on her own and without prompting, and worries that the kickbacks be handled "carefully" because "the headlines would be a disaster."
This theme is returned to at multiple points throughout the footage. Planned Parenthood was obviously very concerned that their black market human trafficking would end up landing them on the front pages or in prison. Perhaps the most depressing part of the video is that there hasn't been any headlines or any jail time for any of these people. Even they, it turns out, are surprised that nobody cares about them carving up and cannibalizing dead infants. She says PPFA doesn't have a policy on "tissue procurment," which, she admits, "is relatively intentional."
4. Dr. Deborah Nucatola, who we've met in previous installments, smiles coyly and confirms there "are no guidelines" and "there will never be guidelines." Basically, PPFA affiliates can do whatever they want. "Nothing is written," she says again. She's practically screaming subliminally that clinics can sell babies for whatever price and for whatever reason. There are absolutely no ethical restrictions imposed from within. From her facial expressions, she appears to be rather proud of this fact.
5. VanDerhei, again worrying about the "headlines," says she wants clinics to only sell dead babies if it's "worth it." She says she knows they can "generate a fair amount of income doing this," which is a statement that flies directly in the face of pro-choice propaganda claiming PPFA isn't motivated by profit. She openly plots the cover up for this illegal operation, telling the buyer she's "not comfortable having the conversation through email."
6. Vanessa Russo, an official with Planned Parenthood Keystone, talks very openly about her intention to break the law. She says she "won't be bullied by ridiculous law" (because laws that protect children from being dismembered and sold for parts are, in her mind, ridiculous). She denies that Planned Parenthood "should curtail its business for ridiculousness" (the law is the "ridiculousness" in this case). VanDerhei responds by telling Russo that PPFA doesn't plan to curtail its business at all. They've been given the all clear to "go for it" and collect "remuneration."
To summarize, Planned Parenthood murders children, thinks its funny to sever their testicles, sells the body parts to generate income, and conspires very explicitly to skirt the laws and hide their illegal activities. We knew all of these facts already, but it's no less outrageous, despicable, depraved, evil, revolting, and infuriating. Even if none of these points are revelations, this video is still the most important news item since the last video was released. If you haven't shared the video, you should, because it's more relevant than anything else you've shared or talked about today, guaranteed.
[sharequote align="center"]It's been established well beyond a reasonable doubt that these serial killers are breaking the law.[/sharequote]
It's been established well beyond a reasonable doubt that these serial killers are breaking the law. Wake up, fools of America: they're admitting it on camera. How many times do they have to say "this law is ridiculous and here's how we intend to break it" before we arrive at the conclusion that perhaps they think the laws are ridiculous and have no problem breaking them? Besides, whichever parts of their operation are legal -- like the part where they slaughter the innocent lives to begin with -- shouldn't be. Legal or not, none of this should be funded by the American taxpayer; none of this should be tolerated by a supposedly "Christian country;" none of this should be allowed to go on; none of this should be ignored by so many millions; and none of these activities should elicit anything but a deep and primal hatred from the pit of your soul.
Decent people hate abortion. Moral people hate abortion. God hates abortion. I suppose, then, it's no wonder our culture is so indifferent on the subject.
I pledged that I would continue writing about these videos for as long as the Center For Medical Progress releases them, but I must admit I'm feeling rather defeated nowadays. After the first bit of footage was made public a few months ago, I hoped an awakening might be on the horizon. I prayed this heroic campaign by CMP would be a devastating blow to the abortion industry. I begged God that He might use this to slap our dull, tired, and distracted populace out of its pathetic stupor. I believed that, so long as these videos continued to surface, there might be a chance for real change. I hoped, at the very least, everyone who calls themselves "conservative" or "Christian" would rally together, realizing that protecting our children from these mercenaries ought to be our primary and most crucial goal. I wished -- perhaps I even had a little faith -- that "the right" would rise to the occasion and absolutely obsess over this issue until something is done about it.
I don't want to throw in the towel or abandon all of these hopes, but 10 videos later, it appears I was overly optimistic. The polls tell us public opinion of Planned Parenthood has remained basically unchanged. Those who supported the slaughter of babies before all of this, still do. The disgraceful wimps who were too weak and selfish to have much of a perspective on the matter before all of this, still don't. The true civil rights champions who gave voice to the voiceless and fought for life and liberty before all of this, obviously still are. There isn't much evidence that people have crossed over from one category to another. It is a staggering and comprehensible indictment on our culture that 10 videos of abortionists chopping up and selling infants hardly moved the needle at all.
Naturally, the story has been buried by the news media. Even Fox, the supposedly conservative outlet, treats it like a relatively minor item. In the debates last month, they asked one candidate one question about Planned Parenthood, and it was more of a cheap "gotcha" attempt than an opportunity to actually hear where these people stand on defunding the abortion industry. Some conservative commentators have been all over this scandal, but many others, like Ann Coulter, remain utterly and shamefully silent (although to be fair, Coulter did take the time to call pro-lifers "p*ssies"). Social media hasn't been much better. As I write this, the most recent video is not a trending topic on either Facebook or Twitter. Instead, the top stories are Donald Trump, college football, and Hispanic Heritage Month.
And, in the midst of all of this, which Republican leads in the polls? Not the ardently pro-life Ted Cruz, who vows to prosecute Planned Parenthood officials and open a federal investigation into the abortion industry on the first day of his tenure, but the moderate, former partial birth abortion advocate Donald Trump, who brags of donating to rabidly pro-abortion politicians, says that an extremist pro-abortion judge would make a "phenomenal" Supreme Court justice, recently insisted that Planned Parenthood "does good work," repeated debunked pro-choice talking points about how abortion is "only a small part of what they do," and promised to keep funding them. Children are dying by the millions, the abortion industry has been exposed, the time is ripe to wage a serious battle against the most evil institution of our time, and this is who "conservatives" are turning to. Again, staggering and incomprehensible.
Many conservative thought leaders, like Laura Ingraham and Michael Savage and Sean Hannity, have exacerbated the problem, turning their backs on the pro-life movement and the conservative cause by shilling for the most pro-choice Republican in the race. Meanwhile, allegedly conservative websites like Breitbart make passing mentions of baby harvesting before going right back to incessantly advocating for one of the only guys in the field who promises to keep the status quo on Planned Parenthood. Principled conservatives are learning who they can trust and who they can't, and the latter category is rapidly growing.
As for our "conservative" representatives in the federal government, they've already forfeited the fight, saying they won't try to strip tax funding from the murderers of babies if it means risking a politically inconvenient government shutdown. Instead, they'll give us show votes on impotent legislation while working to undermine any effort that might actually achieve some sort of result. Several states have responded much more forcefully, but these were mostly states that already provided strong protections for unborn life. Overall, the paradigm doesn't appear to have shifted very much.
Pro-lifers have suffered a complete betrayal. Much more egregiously, our children have been betrayed. At precisely the moment in history when the pro-life movement is gifted with the best ammunition it's ever had, many who are supposed to be on our side have deserted us. We are standing here on the battlefield ready to wage war in the name of life and liberty, and as we look around we see our compatriots dropping their weapons and running for the hills. Pro-lifers are finding out what our country and our alleged allies are truly made of, and it's not pretty. It's just not pretty.
[sharequote align="center"]Pro-lifers are finding out what our country and our alleged allies are made of and it's not pretty. [/sharequote]
If you're looking for someone to offer up a cheerful angle, I'm not the guy. I feel a deep rage and sadness, and it grows every day, especially when I see these videos and I think about all of the children who are murdered by "doctors" and forsaken by their families and their nation. I have never in my life been more disgusted with the country that I love. I feel like flags should be flown at half mast or taken down altogether, in mourning not only of the lost lives, but of America's lost soul. How can I take "pride" in a culture and a country that fails in its most basic and fundamental task -- to protect and love its children? How can I call this the "home of the brave" when we aren't even brave enough to come together and stop the abortion industry from exterminating a million babies in the next year? How can I say "God bless America" when inside I am really begging Him to finally rain His perfect justice upon us, whatever the cost?
I will still fight. I will still do whatever I can in my own insignificant way to pull us out of this abyss of self-centerdness and moral depravity. I will still desperately pray that God will cure me of my own cowardice, weakness, selfishness, and sin, so that I can be a more effective and dedicated advocate for life and truth. I will still search for the hope and purpose in all of this, but it's a struggle.
Maybe I've despaired too quickly. Maybe there are pro-life victories ahead, even if it doesn't look like it now. Maybe we will finally snap out of our apathetic haze and see that the ground we're walking on is covered in the bloody bodies of our own children. Maybe we'll wake up and be a good, decent, Christian people again.
I have to believe it's possible. These days, belief is all I have.
Contact Matt for speaking engagement requests at contact@TheMattWalshBlog.com. For general comments, use MattWalsh@TheMattWalshBlog.com.
TheBlaze contributor channel supports an open discourse on a range of views. The opinions expressed in this channel are solely those of each individual author.