I've made my career as a Las Vegas oddsmaker, but have also become a libertarian-conservative media commentator and candidate for office in recent years. In 2004, I predicted on CNBC a Bush victory by 3 points and 30 electoral votes. Bush won by 3 points and 35 electoral votes. In October of 2006, I predicted on Fox News that the GOP would get slaughtered in the midterm election and lose Congress. They did. In the spring of 2012 after Romney clinched the GOP Presidential nomination, but trailed in every poll to President Obama, I predicted a Mitt Romney landslide on November 6th. Last month I specified my presidential election prediction to a 5 to 7 point popular vote victory for Romney as UK sportsbooks were making Obama a 4 to 1 favorite.
For the past month Romney at times trailed badly in every poll, especially in the all-important battleground states, and I continued to predict a big Romney victory. With just a few days before the election, I still stick by my prediction. Mitt Romney will win the Presidency, and it won’t be close.
I’m predicting a 5 to 7 point popular vote victory. In the electoral college, Romney will win many states that went to Obama in 2008. I’m predicting Romney victories in Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, North Carolina, and Indiana. I predict a Romney victory by 100 to 120 electoral votes.
In the days before the first Presidential debate, polls showed Romney trailing badly in most of those states. But, as I’ve argued from day one, the polls are wrong. They are badly skewed towards Democrats. Quite simply they are over-polling Democratic voters and assuming a turnout that looks like 2008, when record numbers of Democrats came out for Obama.
After Romney’s overwhelming victory in the first debate he now leads, or is dead even in battleground states where, only days before, he was supposedly way behind. My contention is a 1 point Romney lead in those Democrat-skewed polls is really a comfortable 5 to 7 point Romney lead on election day.
There are several specific reasons I predict a comfortable Romney victory on election day:
- The news media is ignoring signs of mass revulsion towards Obama. In the West Virginia Democrat primary, a felon got 40 percent of the vote versus Obama. In deep blue Massachusetts and Connecticut, GOP Senate candidates are even, or leading in recent polls. In pro-union Wisconsin, Gov. Scott Walker won by a country mile. But worst of all for Mr. Obama, several recent polls show Romney competitive in Illinois- Obama’s home state. Romney is actually winning by a landslide in the suburbs of Obama’s Chicago. Even in Cook County, the country’s biggest Democratic stronghold, Romney leads by double digits among independents (43-31) and white voters (53-40). These are very bad signs for Obama.
- In 2008 Democrats overwhelmingly controlled the majority of Governorships. Today Republicans control the majority of Governorships. Presidential elections are always steered in each state by the Governor- the most powerful force in state politics.
- After the 2010 census, electoral votes were added to states that lean Republican in elections: Texas, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, South Carolina, and Utah. Deep blue Democrat states like New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Massachusetts lost electoral votes. That brings up an interesting point. Why is everyone running away from these ultra liberal, high tax states in the first place? Isn’t that alone proof of the failure of Democrat ideas?
- Next, follow the money trail. Yes, Obama is raising plenty of money, although there is a major question if it's coming from illegal foreign contributors. But forget all that. What matters is that in 2008 Obama overwhelmed McCain by out-spending him 10 to 1 down the stretch. That won’t happen in 2012. Romney is even, or can out-spend Obama, in the last 2 weeks of the election. That makes a huge difference in the outcome.
- Christians will turn out in record numbers this year. Obama has offended Christians again and again. Last election 20 million evangelical Christians did not vote. They will turn out in record numbers in 2012 to defeat the most anti-Christian President in U.S. history. How motivated are Christians? Did you see the long lines around the country to support Chick-fil-A a few weeks ago? You’ll see those same lines on election day.
- Voter rolls have been purged in 2012 of felons and illegals in many states- particularly Florida and Ohio. Turnout of Democrats will be nothing like 2008. Which brings up another important question. What kind of political party relies on felons and people illegally in the country to win elections?
- The “Enthusiasm Factor” for Romney is huge. Conservatives are focused, intense, motivated, and enthusiastic. Democrats turned out for Obama in record numbers in 2009. Today they are demoralized. A big edge goes to Romney on Election Day as conservatives, white voters, middle class voters and independents turn out in record numbers for Romney. I know several people who voted for Obama in 2008, but never again. Does anyone know a McCain voter who will vote for Obama in 2012? There are none.
- Finally, history proves that a majority of undecided voters break for the challenger. Romney will take most of the undecided voters on election day- just like Reagan did versus Jimmy Carter in 1980. Romney’s fantastic debate performance gave them confidence to choose the challenger.
This is Carter/Reagan all over again. The same horrible economy. The same economically ignorant fool in the White House bringing misery to Americans. The same economic collapse under the weight of socialist, pro union, soak the rich, demonize the business owners, policies.
I predict the same result on election day. Mitt Romney in a Landslide.
And If I'm wrong- God help The United States of America.
Wayne Allyn Root is a Capitalist Evangelist, entrepreneur, and Tea Party Libertarian Republican. He is a former Libertarian vice presidential nominee. He is the best-selling author of "The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts." His web site: www.ROOTforAmerica.com