LONDON (TheBlaze/AP) — Britain's royal protection unit is suffering a bit of embarrassment after asking a member of the royal family to identify himself while on the grounds at Buckingham Palace.
But you might forgive them for being a little jittery because two days earlier, an intruder had been discovered prowling around the palace.
Heightened security led police to confront Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence's garden and demanded he identify himself.
In a May 19, 2013 file photo, Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, honourary Chief of the Games for the 150th Victoria Highland Games Association, shares a laugh as he closes out the weekends events in Victoria. On Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013, two days after an intruder was discovered prowling around Buckingham Palace, police confronted Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence's garden and demanded he identify himself. (AP/The Candian Press, Chad Hipolito, File)
Wednesday's red-faced mix-up followed an even more embarrassing security breach Monday, when a suspected burglar was arrested after having scaled the fence around the palace.
The incident with Andrew was first reported by Britain's Sunday Express tabloid. While London police acknowledged demanding the prince's identity, they denied the paper's assertion that Andrew was "held at gunpoint."
In a statement released Sunday, police said "no weapons were drawn."
The Sunday Express reported Prince Andrew saying he is "grateful" for the apology.
"The police have a difficult job to do balancing security for the Royal Family and deterring intruders, and sometimes they get it wrong," he said in a statement. "I am grateful for their apology and look forward to a safe walk in the garden in the future."