Comedian and talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres sat with former President George W. Bush during Sunday's Dallas Cowboys game, and many people on the internet were not happy that the LGBT advocate was happily rubbing elbows with the former Republican president.
What are the details?
DeGeneres and Bush were seated in Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' suite when one of the stadium cameras panned to the two of them looking happy and friendly.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that Bush — who also sat next to wife Laura Bush — even elicited a "big laugh" from the popular talk show host. DeGeneres' wife, actress Portia de Rossi, was also in attendance at the game between the Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers.
Predictably, however, much of the internet was not impressed with the bipartisan show of unity between the two beloved public figures.
Here's what some of them had to say:
- "It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight. Just untouchably rich. And white, of course."
- "As Ellen is a gleeful participant in the George W. Bush Rehabilitation Project, I'd just like to point out George W. Bush's 2004 re-election relied upon pushing state ballot initiatives banning Same-Sex Marriage and pushing for a Constitutional Amendment banning it."
- "So quirky and fun to see George Bush out with Ellen at a Cowboys game after his terrible foreign policy decisions killed thousands of innocent people."
- "Ellen donates to Pete Buttigieg and goes to ball games with George W Bush Don't be like Ellen."
- "Ellen DeGeneres laughing it up with someone who has actively tried to harm our community feels disappointing, irresponsible, and dangerous."
- "I don't care how nice of a guy George W Bush is. He was one of our worst presidents and left our country and world in bad shape. The mess he helped create we're still trying to dig out of. This is a bad look for @TheEllenShow."
Despite naysayers, there were still some social media users who were able to put aside politics appreciate the moment:
- "I didn't realize how badly I wanted to watch football with George Bush and @TheEllenShow until today when I saw them together watching football without me."
- "President George Bush @GeorgeWBush and Ellen Degeneres @TheEllenShow are sitting together at the Packers & Cowboys game. This shouldn't trigger you. This should give you hope for our future."
- "Ppl are gonna s*** on Ellen for this and maybe rightfully so but politics aside George W. Bush is the objective correct choice for best living president to hang out with."
- "I don't know why people are hating on this. This is exactly what our world needs right now. We need to see that people who disagree politically can sit together, be kind, and enjoy a football game. Chill people. This is a good thing."