Can the govt force fat people to pay for weightwatchers? Why health insurance?
Can the government force fat people to join weight watchers?
That’s not just an outlandish question, but an idea George Will once proposed on ABC. And it’s a question that nine Supreme Court Justices will be asking themselves this week.
Can the federal government force you to eat fruits and vegetables every day? Can the federal government force you to buy a GM car? Can the federal government force you to buy health insurance?
The Supreme Court is set to decide on whether Obamacare’s mandate, that every American buy health insurance, is allowed under the Constitution. In this 16-minute, mini-Glenn-Beck, monologue (Sixteen minutes? Who does this guy think he is? That’s another legitimate question.) I break down the issues and questions Clarence Thomas and Elena Kagan will be debating. Issues like:
- Whether or not the mandate is a tax like Social Security.
- The evolution of the Commerce Clause of the Constitution
- Wickard v. Filburn, the 1942 case that allowed the government to regulate the amount of wheat a farmer grew and fed to his cows.
- Whether this just like the requirement to buy car insurance?
- Can the government regulate, not your activity, but your inactivity?
The debate will be nothing short of whether the government can make the act of…existing…illegal if you don’t have health insurance. And the proper question might soon be…what can’t the government force you to do?
(Video Recorded in December 2011)
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 460 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 247 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 115 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans