TheBlaze previously reported that following President Donald Trump’s inauguration on Friday, Rich tweeted that his 10-year-old son “will be this country’s first homeschool shooter.”
— Fash (@gopfashionista) January 20, 2017
“A person familiar with the situation” said Rich “has been suspended indefinitely” from the program, according to the Post.
An internet controversy immediately followed the tweet.
Many on social media users defended the president’s youngest son, including former first daughter Chelsea Clinton, whose mother Hillary Clinton was Trump’s Democratic rival for the presidency.
Barron Trump deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid. Standing up for every kid also means opposing @POTUS policies that hurt kids.
— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) January 22, 2017
Some members of the media said the joke crossed a line.
That it even need be said is ridiculous, but mocking the 10-year-old child of a politician you loathe is odious, immoral, & self-defeating
— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) January 21, 2017
'member when the three networks led their evening newscasts w/ a story about a congressional aide who criticized the Obama girls? I 'member. pic.twitter.com/6k0oPQmuJ1
— T. Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) January 20, 2017
Rich, who deactivated her account during the controversy, restored it to tweet an apology.
I sincerely apologize for the insensitive tweet. I deeply regret my actions & offensive words. It was inexcusable & I'm so sorry.
— Katie Rich (@katiemaryrich) January 23, 2017
An online petition calling for Rich’s firing garnered more than 84,000 signatures.