Peaceful protests over Google employee’s firing canceled — here’s why

Peaceful protests over Google employee’s firing canceled — here’s why
Nationwide peaceful protests this weekend against Google's firing of an employee who wrote a diversity memo were canceled after organizers said they received "terrorist" threats from the left. (Josh Edelson/AFP/Getty Images)

Peaceful protests initially scheduled for this weekend have been canceled because of “credible alt-left terrorist threats.”

The March on Google, a series of planned protests in cities across the country after a male Google employee was fired over a diversity memo last week, said on its website that the march has been postponed “for the safety of our citizen participants.”

The nationwide protests were planned after Google fired 28-year-old James Damore for sending what was portrayed by the left as an internal “anti-diversity” memo, which described the biological differences between men and women. The memo was prompted by commentary about the gender wage gap in technology jobs.

After Damore’s ousting, a series of nationwide protests were scheduled to take place in Mountain View, California, home of Google headquarters, along with New York City, Washington, D.C., Boston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Austin, Texas.

The March on Google had been advertised as a peaceful gathering, outright condemning violence, hatred and bigotry on its website, and saying that “any violation of these tenets will not be tolerated.”

But in an online announcement Wednesday, organizers of the March on Google said the demonstrations would have to be postponed at least for a few weeks because of “terrorist” threats from those on the left.

“Despite our clear and straightforward statements denouncing bigotry and hatred, CNN and other mainstream media made malicious and false statements that our peaceful march was being organized by Nazi sympathizer[s],” their online statement read.

The announcement said that, in at least one instance, “alt-left threat was made to use an automobile to drive into our peaceful march.”

Organizers said they reported the threats to authorities.

TheBlaze reached out to the FBI for comment, but as of the time of this posting, had not received a response.

NBC News reported the name of the group behind the March on Google is “Patriot Prayer,” which the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center described as a “Portland-based group that specializes in rallies around the Northwest seemingly aimed at provoking far-left and anarchist groups.”

Organizers of the March on Google protest in Boston said they are “not in any way associated” with those who organized last weekend’s protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, during which 32-year-old Heather Heyer died after a white supremacist driver allegedly plowed over her with a car.

Two Virginia State Police officers who were responding to the violence also died in a helicopter crash.

A spokesman for Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheBlaze on Thursday.

(H/T: Washington Examiner)

85 Comments