×

Please verify

Watch LIVE

Mass. Man Accidentally Catches Fire While Putting on Sunscreen

Video

"...all of a sudden it went up my arm."

Most everyone knows about the warning on aerosol cans that advise against using the product near an open flame or heat. Brett Sigworth was aware of these warnings, but he still caught fire after spraying on sunscreen and then moving toward his charcoal grill.

Sigworth of Stow, Mass., says he was far from the grill when he sprayed on the Banana Boat lotion and rubbed it in. He also says that the can doesn't mention anything about a risk of becoming flammable after applying the product completely.

The CBS affiliate WBZ-TV reports Sigworth suffered second degree burns anywhere he had applied the lotion. Sigworth said, "I sprayed on the spray-on sunscreen, and then rubbed it on for a few seconds. I walked over to my grill, took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it went up my arm.”

WBZ more specifically notes the warning on the spray lotion states "flammable, don’t use near heat, flame or while burning.” But Sigworth did not think this warning applied to after the product had been rubbed onto ones skin.

After catching on fire, Sigworth told WBZ his friends and girlfriend helped snuff him out, which doctors say helped lessen the degree of his injury.

Sigworth has an attorney, but he is not suing Banana Boat. He simply wants to know why more testing wasn't done on the product in this manner and would like to see more warnings on the canister.

Watch the CBS report:

Most recent
All Articles