Britney Melchor, a 911 dispatcher in Marysville, California, never imagined she'd get this call.
“Can you respond to my aid, my child is choking," the caller told her.
But then she heard the address of where the help was needed.
"I perked up and then I heard him say it again and I recognized that as my own home address,” Melchor told KOVR-TV.
Her 1-year-old son had swallowed a metal washer and was turning blue.
“He went completely limp, wasn’t breathing,” her husband, Robert Kimball who made the 911 call, told the news station. “At that point I made the decision to take my middle finger and shove the object past his airway.”
Medics arrived at this same time to take the boy to the hospital.
Watch KOVR's report about the terrifying ordeal, which includes some audio from the 911 call that shows how the mother maintained her composure to get her son the help he needed:
Melchor said the situation was "very frightening," but she added that her "first instinct [was] to do my job and help save that life.”
At the hospital, an X-ray revealed the washer in the boy's stomach and he later passed it without further incident.