Stacy "Fergie" Ferguson of Black Eyed Peas fame performed her own rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" during Sunday night's NBA All-Star Game, but it was very clear that not everyone appreciated her interpretation of the national anthem.
How was her performance?
The songstress' performance was very bluesy, very musically stripped down, and very similar to what former '50s actress Marilyn Monroe did for "Happy Birthday."
The Associated Press reported Monday that a "low chuckle rumbled through" Los Angeles' sold-out Staples Center even after delivering the song's first line.
After the song's big finish, Ferguson shouted, "Let's play some basketball!"
How did the media report it?
Here's a sampling of headlines from around the country:
- New York Post: "Fergie’s All-Star Game national anthem was a bizarre train wreck."
- Variety: "Fergie Sexes Up National Anthem at NBA All-Star Game and America Isn’t Having It."
- Fox News: "Fergie's national anthem at NBA All-Star Game draws laughs."
- E! News: "Fergie Slammed for Performing 'Worst Rendition Ever' of National Anthem at NBA All-Star Game."
- Yahoo!: "The internet cringed at Fergie's NBA All-Star national anthem just like you did."
- The Independent: "Fergie baffles viewers with 'sexed up' US national anthem performance: 'Worst rendition ever.'"
- TheWrap: "Fergie ‘Butchers’ National Anthem at NBA All-Star Game, Internet Kneels to Laugh."
- Rolling Stone: "Watch Fergie's Disastrous National Anthem at NBA All-Star Game."
Watch the full performance in the video below and draw your own conclusions.